doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Sandlapper A.J. Defourny self opener - 09/03/19 11:24 AM
Fellows, I have recently come into the possession of a Defourny self opening 12 gauge model that I am trying do find information about. It is a straight grip ejector self opening model that has gold plated internals but a blued (original) action, a funeral model, if you will. The wood is not figured but straight grained and everything about the gun appears original finish. It has 28 1/4" compressed steel barrels(marked) and is S/N 8119. It strikes me as a best grade model with line engraving. I have been unable to date it or find out anything else concerning age or grade. Anyone able to help,please?
Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: A.J. Defourny self opener - 09/03/19 05:49 PM
https://wp.me/p461yQ-jj
You can read your answe to the question here.
Marc.
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: A.J. Defourny self opener - 09/04/19 04:43 PM
Marc, Thanks very much for the information. I still don't see a model like mine, that is sans engraving and with blued receiver. It's a very well-made gun. Marcus
Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: A.J. Defourny self opener - 09/04/19 08:40 PM
Marcus, I consulted some catalogues and before WW I Defourny-Severin had the mod 23 without engraving. After this I find the mod 23 back in
the Vol II from Guy Gadisseur but then with engraving. This book mention that the gun was on offer before WW II.
The date code can maybe help you.
Cheers, Marc.
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: A.J. Defourny self opener - 09/07/19 01:15 PM
Marc, Thank you again for your help on this gun. Regards, Marcus
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: A.J. Defourny self opener - 09/08/19 10:52 AM
Marc, I was not aware of the Belgian date codes,but I checked it and the gun was built in 1935. Many thanks, Marcus
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: A.J. Defourny self opener - 09/08/19 10:58 AM
Marc, As a further comment on the Defourny self-opening action, I will have to say that it seems to me to be a superior design to the Beesley( Purdey) type action as it is so much smoother and easier to close than any self-opener I have ever dealt with. Possibly some of the other English designs are equal to it in this regard, but I haven't run across them yet. Regards, Marcus
Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: A.J. Defourny self opener - 09/09/19 10:31 AM
Marcus, maybe your locks are made by Nicolas Jacquet, who was the lockmaker for many Liège artisans. N. Jacquet kept no records, but was in quality equal with Chilton lockmakers. Anyway I think you have a good gun. They are no easy to find even here in Belgium, Marc.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com