doublegunshop.com - home
I picked this up at a gun show for the Princely sum of $800.00 this weekend. I am not well informed in English guns. It has 26 in twist or Damascus barrels cyl and cyl. I assume it has been cut.Bores have light pitting ,the stock has been repaired. Serial # 21322. It looks up to me as 1877 manufacture yes/no?
Anyone willing to share any thought or knowledge on this gun would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Dale

I love those sidelever openers. Its by a good maker, so I'd expect it is a good gun. What'n heck happened to the forend lug?...Geo
Anything on the forend lug repair that might jeopardize it's
integrity to shoot?

Agree on the 1877 date. That particular style of sidelever, according to the Scott book, was discontinued in 1878.

The forend loop repair might well be very solid, but it's godawful sloppy.
That is really really neat
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Agree on the 1877 date. That particular style of sidelever, according to the Scott book, was discontinued in 1878.

What is the title of the Scott Book?
Thank you.
I would be very wary of shooting it without confirmation of wall thickness and whether the integrity of the barrels has been affected by that abortion around the fore-end loop. Remember also the proof was black powder (only) and that 140 years ago.
Originally Posted By: wannagohunting
Originally Posted By: L. Brown

What is the title of the Scott Book?
Thank you.

"The History of W. & C. Scott Gunmakers", by Crawford and Whatley.
A friend has the identical gun with no Scott markings. Non-rebounding hammers and 32" barrels choked cylinder. Nice guns.
I have a W&C Scott & Sons pinfire. I do not know if this will post correctly or not but is copied & pasted from my spreadsheet;

No Maker Gauge & Chamber SN Type Bbl Lgth Date Range Wt Notes
1 W&C Scott & Sons 12 (2½”) NA Pinfire 29 3/4” D 1863/65 Made For Benj D Kennedy Louisville KY Bar-in Wood, Grd A

If it goes exactly as it appears it will take some deciphering as the lines overlapped. I acquired this gun back in the mid-1970s from a gentleman who resided in Louisville. He had tried to research Mr Kennedy but there was neither Birth nor Death certificates for him in Louisville. e did find a business license for him to operate a Jewelry Store which included the time frame this gun was built.

The info on it came from Mr Crawford. He stated it was the first Scott he had any knowledge of which was not SN'd. It has a top lever with single underbolt, built under Matthew's Patent. He used this fact to date it saying Matthew's Patent began to be used in 1863 & the Scott Spindle was introduced in 1865.

It is a cylinder in both barrels & has appropriate proofs for the era.
What is that squashed piece of metal in the bottom of the front lug recess of the action? Piece of lead?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com