doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: AZMike What to wear.....? - 09/19/19 12:31 PM
As I get more active shooting my old shotguns I am wondering if many wear period correct attire when attending vintage shoots?
I scoffed at the Cowboy Action shooters and their "all in" attitude towards the game, but now I feel that a little period clothing adds to the atmosphere. I am only 30 miles from Tombstone so I have watched dress-up cowboys for many years!
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: What to wear.....? - 09/19/19 12:37 PM
Try to look like actor Val Killmer did as "Doc" Holiday in the movie "Tombstone"-- you'll fit in just fine--RWTF
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 12:47 AM
They sure do AZMike!

Try to get to any of the various Vintagers' or Vintage Gunners' events and you'll see gents and ladies, both, dressed in the attire of the late 19th century. Some do and some don't...

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 12:53 AM
More don't than do, at the S x S shoots I've attended.

SRH
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 01:06 AM
I do at the various SxS shoots that I attend, weather permitting. I think that I possibly shoot better when I do, plus it just feels right.
Karl
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 01:39 AM
I've been shooting for 40 years and I cannot describe what anyone I've ever shot with wears. Or drives.

Who cares?

A nice gun, I do notice...
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 02:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
I've been shooting for 40 years and I cannot describe what anyone I've ever shot with wears. Or drives.

Who cares?

What this guy said. I look like the blue collar stiff I am when I shoot.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 06:46 AM
I figured you wore red lace undies when you shot yer Fwench Darne shootgun.
Posted By: AZMike Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 11:06 AM
[quote=Shotgunjones]I've been shooting for 40 years and I cannot describe what anyone I've ever shot with wears. Or drives.

Who cares?

[/quote
I also have been shooting ATA trap for 40 years
I do remember 1 gentleman I used to shoot doubles with--he always wore a western hat and pearl button shirt and a fine looking silver and turquoise bolo tie.
he was a retired judge
Don't recall the rest, they just dressed fat.

Mr. Fox thanks for the tip, but it's just to F****** HOT to dress all in black here in AZ! I think that Tombstone must have been filmed in Alaska.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 11:16 AM
You'll only see a few wearing proper British shooting kit at the Great Northern. One reason: those togs are way on the warm side for a summer shoot. Even in the North Woods.
Posted By: damascus Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 11:48 AM
Tweed plus toos, green knee length woollen stockings, brown boots brown leather gilet, black two inch brim fedora and to finish the whole assemblage off a shocking pink shirt, well I am old enough to get away with it and to hell with the comments!
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 11:53 AM
OK- wondered about that- Loved the part where Val Kilmer (aka- "Doc") fires off 3 shots from his hammer double gun at the OK Corral shoot-fest, first one towards the sky- to spook the horse and throw off the Clanton dude in the saddle, next 2 were better aimed- but 3 rounds fired w/o breaking open the 2-holer for a re-loadski--?? Gotta love Hollywood--
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 11:55 AM
Three "stylin' dudes" - where are you in the Trio, Karl, if I may ask. RWTF
Posted By: Boats Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 11:55 AM
It’s fine to shoot in costume, have friends that have shot in bib overalls and straw hats, more often vintage style hunting vest hats etc, using Farmer grade American SXS Guns. Someone with Lord of the Manor rig ought to have a suitable gun.

Boats
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 12:04 PM
I've always been much more impressed by how well a gent handled his gun than with how he dressed. Saw the same kind of thing when I competed for many years with m/l roundball rifles. There were two "camps", the traditional target shooters and the primitive competitors. The "primitives" had their own campsites and ranges at Friendship, across Laughery Creek. Quite a sight to see grown men dressed like Indians in nothing more than a breechcloth and moccasins, and carrying trade guns and tomahawks, or mountain man wannabees trucking around in the summer heat and humidity dressed in full buckskin leathers ............. trying vainly to ignore the sweat running down their legs.

To each his own.

SRH
Posted By: ed good Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 03:49 PM
agreed stan...to each his own...
Posted By: AZMike Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 04:10 PM
The breechcloth and moccasin uni sounds terrific for AZ wear, can I get them in a Herringbone Twill?
Posted By: Researcher Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 04:13 PM
Some do --

Most don't --

Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 08:55 PM
RWTF,
I'm the one in the middle holding my pipe, and Clapper Zapper is on the left. As it was pointed out, some do and some don't. The cool Spring weather was correct for the outfits.
Boats,
The outfit was appropriate for my 1910 Churchill.
Karl
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: What to wear.....? - 09/20/19 10:50 PM
What pipe and tobacco Karl?
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: What to wear.....? - 09/21/19 01:57 AM
Bob,
The pipe is one of my Savinelli's. The tobacco is a mixture of Virginia yellow and red, with some black cavendish for flavor. My favorite pipes however are my Castello's.
Karl
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com