doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Nice gun. - 12/08/19 03:21 AM
I found this while cruising around the interweb that Al Gore invented:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101314192

I owned a Martin, briefly, but it looked like it had been dragged behind a truck compared to this one. My problem with it would be the same problem I’d have with this one, not even in the same time/space continuum for fit to my carcass.

No connection, just think it is a beautiful example. Not sure what I’d hunt with a 6 pound 2 1/2” 12 with fullXfull chokes, either.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Nice gun. - 12/08/19 03:34 AM
I was checking that out a couple days ago. I would LOVE a Scottish gun just because it is Scottish. It is simply too much money for me. I could do it, but it would tap out my mad money and there is at least a Wyoming elk hunt and Alaskan black bear hunt that I have to cover as well.

Founds some Dicksons that are nice too and affordable, but not what I am looking for.
Posted By: steve voss Re: Nice gun. - 12/08/19 03:36 AM
Once it was Cyl/Mod, anything you wanted.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Nice gun. - 12/08/19 04:05 AM
Originally Posted By: steve voss

Yea, it made it most of 100 years without anyone taking out the chokes, not sure I want to be that guy....

Best,
Ted
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Nice gun. - 12/08/19 04:50 AM

I’d be that guy in a heartbeat. Wouldn’t think twice about adjusting the chokes to a more reasonable combination that suits what I want the gun for.

Issues with ribless Martins is...they’re often too butt heavy. Butt heavy is harder to shoot for me than the opposite. I’ve never had a ribless Martin in my hands that didn’t feel way out of balance aft. Light isn’t always good.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Nice gun. - 12/08/19 05:24 AM
6 lbs, 1 oz.

Posted By: Imperdix Re: Nice gun. - 12/08/19 08:49 AM
As nice a boxlock as you`ll see there,lovely action work !
Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Nice gun. - 12/08/19 12:36 PM
I saw that ribless Martin on Kirby's table at the Great Northern. My first Brit double was a 16ga Martin BLNE without any unusual features. Bought from Hallowell back in the old "Gun List" days.

I'd agree with Dustin that I wouldn't hesitate to open the chokes on a gun like that to suit my purposes.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Nice gun. - 12/08/19 02:36 PM
Short barrels, a ton of cast but....really neat! Kirby gets some fun stuff occasionally. He's got a lefty McNaughton hammer in 16 at the moment that really rolls my socks down. Now if I could only justify one more fancy gun....
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Nice gun. - 12/08/19 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: LeFusil

I’d be that guy in a heartbeat. Wouldn’t think twice about adjusting the chokes to a more reasonable combination that suits what I want the gun for.

Issues with ribless Martins is...they’re often too butt heavy. Butt heavy is harder to shoot for me than the opposite. I’ve never had a ribless Martin in my hands that didn’t feel way out of balance aft. Light isn’t always good.

That gun has unusual enough stock dimensions that butt heavy or choke is likely to be the least of problems to good shooting. 3/4” cast off, almost 16” LOP, and 2” DAH?
I probably wouldn’t be the guy who unbolted that wood and had a new piece whittled, either.

Doesn’t matter, there is a lot about that gun that just makes it a bridge too far, for me.

A pretty bridge, though.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Nice gun. - 12/08/19 08:44 PM
I bet you really like the quaint little forearm.

Ted you could sell your Wilton vises you never use to help finance the "bridge"...

Just a thought ol'chap
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Nice gun. - 12/08/19 11:38 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I bet you really like the quaint little forearm.

Ted you could sell your Wilton vises you never use to help finance the "bridge"...

Just a thought ol'chap

Good to know you are bright enough to realize a used Wilton is worth something, as opposed to your parrot.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Nice gun. - 12/09/19 02:43 PM
I don't have a Parrot vise.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Nice gun. - 12/09/19 05:53 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I don't have a Parrot vise.

What you mean, is, you don't have a Wilton.

Best,
Ted