doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Salopian Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/15/19 05:12 PM
Help please !
I am trying to locate a Boss 12 bore Damascus SxS underlever hammer gun
Serial numbe 1267 . Any help will be appreciated.
Posted By: Steve Nash Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/15/19 06:34 PM
The first pin-fire breech-loader built by Boss was number 1600, built in 1858, so all earlier numbers would be muzzle-loaders and not under-lever guns. Are you sure about that number?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/15/19 08:51 PM
Boss number 1833. Originally a single bite underlever pinfire built in 1860...Geo

Posted By: PALUNC Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/15/19 09:06 PM
May I ask what makes this Boss so special?
Posted By: eightbore Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/15/19 10:24 PM
I would like to hear about the mystery of the early serial number. The more we study, the more we know.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/16/19 12:37 AM
Could it have been a muzzle loader converted to a Jones Underlever? There is a Reilly so re-done....SN 10354 which I've dated to 1857:

Posted By: SKB Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/16/19 12:38 AM
That was my first thought, I have owned a few of them.
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/16/19 07:27 AM
Peter, contact Donald Dallas, he was loaned all the Boss records for writing his book, had them rebound for Boss and has had a enthusiastic approach to looking up Boss guns ever since. He might be able to help you with some info, maybe even come across it. ATB Toby
Posted By: Salopian Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/16/19 10:01 AM
Thank you everyone .
Yesterday I actually shot Boss number 1266 which is as described . The owner Michael Russell would like to know the whereabouts of 1267 which used to belong to the family , but as been lost .
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/16/19 02:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Argo44
Could it have been a muzzle loader converted to a Jones Underlever? There is a Reilly so re-done....SN 10354 which I've dated to 1857:

Can we please read one damn thread without you dragging some Reilly crap into it ?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/16/19 11:10 PM
I'd like to read one thread without yOu crapping all over it.

But, I suppose yOu can't keep yOur post count up like that.

If wishes were horses .....

SRH
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/17/19 12:22 AM
Amen.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/17/19 01:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan

SRH

Don't you have a granpappy quail covey ground shooting story you'd like to brag about ?

How did it go...

My grandpsppy shot 16 quail with one shot when he shot a covey on the ground.

Dumb dumb dumb...

Posted By: crossedchisles Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/17/19 05:48 PM
Need I say "MORE"....BOSS.....I am aPurdeyPerson' 1952 thru 1964 But I have a'lust' for more boss guns. I have 'Owned, Restocked. Re-built,Hunted with, Shot in Flyer-shootsfor the last 60yrs Have three on the bench at this time (re-built the single-trigger selector of the 'Only 16b Three barrel 14k gold spring Would like to know the Whereabouts of the gun these days? (Trevallion of Paddington,W2.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/17/19 06:02 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: Stan

SRH

Don't you have a granpappy quail covey ground shooting story you'd like to brag about ?

How did it go...

My grandpsppy shot 16 quail with one shot when he shot a covey on the ground.

Dumb dumb dumb...

People had different thoughts about game and hunting back in the day, that today's thinking does not align with.

You remember the jackass that put the picture up, here, of a flock of dead turkeys he sluiced, a few years past?

That, was priceless stupidity. What was that idiots name?

Best,
Ted

Posted By: Argo44 Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/18/19 12:59 AM
David, what do you think of the numbering conundrum? Could those two SN guns have been originally muzzle loaders and rebuilt into Jones U-L?
Posted By: Salopian Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/19/19 07:28 AM
Argo ,
Buy and read 'Boss Guns' by Donald Dallas.
He explains most things . Except where number 1267 is.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Chasing down a Boss Hammer gun - 12/19/19 12:37 PM
I have a friend who has owned at least two Boss pigeon guns. They were magnificent! I presently own a very nice 1928 Boss in it's original oak and leather case. Imported here to NY to Abercombie & Fitch. The guy also had my friends Boss pigeon gun and a twenty bore made for him as well.
Boss guns handle like no other.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com