doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: GaryD007 Rock Island Auction and sales tax - 12/23/19 09:35 PM
I received an email from Rock Island that they will be charging tax based on the zip code the gun is to be mailed to. Did I read that right! My sales tax rate is 7.25% so add that to the 15% buyers fee and suddenly you pay 22.5%. Somebody is getting screwed and it isn't Rock Island or the county that receives the tax. Took effect Oct.1 2019.
I guess quite a few states were annoyed that they weren't getting enough money from other sales so now they are going after most things sold on the Internet. Amazon, eBay and others are charging sales tax at least in my state and I'm sure others.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Rock Island Auction and sales tax - 12/23/19 11:03 PM
This is not news.

Most states are collecting taxes on internet sales because they have lost that business from their over the counter markets. Nothing new there.
Posted By: GaryD007 Re: Rock Island Auction and sales tax - 12/24/19 12:28 AM
It's new to me with gun auctions. I bought and sold through both Rock Island and James Julia and never paid sales tax. IF I ever bid on an auction rifle again, I have to factor in the sales tax along with the buyers premium, so obviously will bid less based on the value of the rifle to me than I would have. Morphy's buyers fee is 20% so there I would be paying a total of 27.25%! The seller is taking it on the chin as he also will be paying a sellers fee!
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Rock Island Auction and sales tax - 12/24/19 12:35 AM
I'll bid at RIA or wherever. I always add in the fees, the shipping, and the tax. My bid is my bid. Doesn't change, just means the auction house gets less. It will hurt them a lot more than it will hurt me.
Posted By: Brian Re: Rock Island Auction and sales tax - 12/24/19 12:46 AM
Thats the States "vig" for allowing you to spend your money!!!!

auction house gets the same no matter what, they dont pay the tax, the buyer does.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Rock Island Auction and sales tax - 12/24/19 12:52 AM
Not if I lower my actual bid to reflect the taxes.

I guess most people don't think about taxes. They just complain about them.

I figure what a gun will cost me and what I'm willing to pay for it. I won't decide to pay $2k for a gun and then go and pay $2145 for it. So, the only one who "pays" is the auction house.
You will be at a disadvantage to anyone who is bidding from a state with no sales tax. Their money will go further at the same auction then your money does.
You will win fewer auctions.
If you are OK with that, fine. But, it is a great illustration of why taxes are regressive, and hamper the people that pay them.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Rock Island Auction and sales tax - 12/24/19 01:36 AM
Such is life. I'll get over it.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Rock Island Auction and sales tax - 12/24/19 01:40 AM
Did you hear about the fellow that found he needed a brain transplant to stay alive? The Dr. told him he had two options 1. he could have a Republican brain for $250 or 2. he could have a democrat brain for $5000. When the guy ask about the price difference he was told the $5000 brains were never used.

Use yours to find out who raises taxes

bill
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Rock Island Auction and sales tax - 12/24/19 01:45 AM
Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz
Did you hear about the fellow that found he needed a brain transplant to stay alive? The Dr. told him he had two options 1. he could have a Republican brain for $250 or 2. he could have a democrat brain for $5000. When the guy ask about the price difference he was told the $5000 brains were never used.

Use yours to find out who raises taxes

bill

Republicans in almost every case in this state. But we gotta pay for it one way or the other. I do like our state highways, bridges, and so forth. I suppose you would prefer dirt 2-track and wet river crossings, but I'll pass.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com