doublegunshop.com - home
Looking for the correct wrist checkering for an older LC Smith Grade 3 hammerless. Can one of you Smith fans help me out with a picture or two please? Thanks.
Did you look on the LC site? The one I re-did wasn't a different shape than a field grade just a bit larger and like 24-26 LPI.
A question.

A Quality 3 or a grade 3

I assume you are wanting Pre-13 examples?

What year of manufacture?

http://www.lcsmith.org/shotguns/grades.html
Quality 3. Haven’t yet checked the year.
I'm sorry that I'm not of much help Bill, but please note that the Syracuse "Quality No." designation was used until about 1896, and for some time overlapped in Hunter Arms advertisements with "Grade". The Syracuse higher grade checkering may have been finer than the Hunter Arms. It would be best to state the DOM.

This is the 1897 Chas. Godfrey, N.Y. catalog and still "Quality No."

An early Quality No. 3 SN 30068 with rebated lock

This is a 1890 "Transition" No. 3 and appears in the poor image to have the same pattern

This is the No. 3 in the 1902 Sears catalog, and has a different pattern

I checked Houchins'
The Quality No. 3 & No. 2 pictured have the pattern in the 1902 Sears illustration above, and is definitely finer that the No. 1 and No. 0
I have a #3 12ga pistol grip gun made in 1903 and a #3 straight grip FW stock made in 1908, both have a simple 2 point pattern that wraps over the top of the grip. Looks to be about 24-26 line spacing. I can take some photos and email them to you if you wish.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com