doublegunshop.com - home
I would like to hear from those who may have used Borderview for exports to Canada.
I sent a shotgun to them for export October 24 3 1/2 months ago and the gun has yet to be exported.
I had used Irunguns previously and was impressed with the speed in which they got this done. Thought I would try Borderview but I am now questioning my decision.
I have emailed them again this morning. My last inquiry 3 weeks ago went unanswered. Prior to that have been told still awaiting paperwork.
Does anyone know of changes lately that are causing delays in exporting to Canada?
I've used Borderview both ways and always find them slow. Your experience is not out of the ordinary. On the plus for imports to the US they are quite careful about the size and placement of the engraving of the importers name that must be applied to the gun.

I have also used IRUNGUNS to import into the US. They were reasonably quick in comparison but sloppy on the engraving. I'll take slow over irreparably changing the gun with an engraving that is crude and poorly positioned. Cost was about the same.

HOWEVER for exports from the US/imports to Canada, the people to use are Prophet River in Lloydminster, Sask. Fast, hands on and cheap from one of the most respected gun dealers in Canada. By cheap I mean 1/3 the price. By fast I mean I bought a gun last summer from Pete Hiatt. From the time Pete put it in the USPS, was under 3 weeks to my door. That included shipping to the US based FFL, clearing customs, and then shipping across the continent to me in Ontario.

Too late for you now but next time, don't bother with anyone else for exports to Canada.
Thank you sir. My experience with Irunguns was the same as yours. I would have used them again but their required markings were just so obvious that I decided to try Borderview. Two guns to be exported this week. Prophet River will get my business. You are the 2nd person to recommend them.
The email I sent this morning to Borderview went unanswered once again.
Really disappointed.
I was a participant with CB involvement with Borderview. We documented when BV received the gun according to postal records and when they said it was received. There was a disparity in time. I don't know what the lag was, but I believe they make the cross border trip to retrieve the guns only when a certain number of guns are to be picked up. It wasn't a speedy matter. Their engraving is tastefully and done with a minimum of size. I found that telephonic communication seemed to be more responsive than email. Gil
I ave made calls and most go to voice mail. Will try to reach someone in management today.
After doing my own research it appears to me that all exporters of firearms are being held up trying to do third party exports due to the change in regulations transitioning between ITAR and the department of commerce.
Anyone’s guess when this will get straightened out.
I used BV last fall to export long guns from Canada to the US.
I found that telephone calls worked far better than e mails.
I dealt with Kerra and she was very helpful.
Bill
Borderview came up in a thread last year titled "buying Canada"
A principal in the company entered the thread. And, yes, I had better response from Kerra. Maybe she is still with the company:
kerra@borderview.com
Unfortunately Kerra is the one not responding. eek
Did reach Kerra she confirmed what I found out from my research on line. It is out of the exporters hands at this time. Nobody likes bad news but no news or communication as I explained to them is worse..
Kerra seemed very nice and assures be she will let me know if they will be back to exporting the third party firearms that are still there. Hopefully ITAR and the DOC will move forward March 9.
Originally Posted By: canvasback
I've used Borderview both ways and always find them slow. Your experience is not out of the ordinary. On the plus for imports to the US they are quite careful about the size and placement of the engraving of the importers name that must be applied to the gun.

I have also used IRUNGUNS to import into the US. They were reasonably quick in comparison but sloppy on the engraving. I'll take slow over irreparably changing the gun with an engraving that is crude and poorly positioned. Cost was about the same.

HOWEVER for exports from the US/imports to Canada, the people to use are Prophet River in Lloydminster, Sask. Fast, hands on and cheap from one of the most respected gun dealers in Canada. By cheap I mean 1/3 the price. By fast I mean I bought a gun last summer from Pete Hiatt. From the time Pete put it in the USPS, was under 3 weeks to my door. That included shipping to the US based FFL, clearing customs, and then shipping across the continent to me in Ontario.

Too late for you now but next time, don't bother with anyone else for exports to Canada.

This sums it up perfectly in my experience with all 3 companies.
Too bad Prophet River doesn’t also export. I have two shotguns I will be sending to Canada shortly. I will give them a shot.
Originally Posted By: Ghostrider
Too bad Prophet River doesn’t also export. I have two shotguns I will be sending to Canada shortly. I will give them a shot.

My sentiments exactly. With the Canadian dollar so low, I'm way more likely to want to be selling into the US rather than buying. And the cost differential between Prophet River and the others makes a whole bunch of guns much more viable. Big difference between $150 all in including freight and $450 all in.
If the current changes in work between ITAR and the Depart of Commerce gets finally implemented I would hope to see current companies doing imports and exports passing on savings to customers.
If not possibly some enthusiastic entrepreneurs to provide less expensive options.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com