doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: dukxdog Please recommend... - 03/05/20 11:44 PM
I just bought a Lindner made Charles Daly true featherweight 12ga. It had been used hard or at least carried around the world a couple times.

I have a engraver to refresh some of the engraving who lives near me.

I have a stocker who has done work for me previously.

I need a gunsmith who can make a couple small parts, make or freshen some screws, re-black barrels and any other things that might be found when stripped down.

Who would you guys suggest for this project?

Private message might be best.

Thanks.

Posted By: KY Jon Re: Please recommend... - 03/06/20 01:15 AM
Dewey. He will do it right or not at all.
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Please recommend... - 03/06/20 02:03 AM
Dewey is awesome and has a 5 year wait.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Please recommend... - 03/06/20 02:42 AM
Glad to hear you found one, Bobby.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Please recommend... - 03/06/20 04:32 AM
A gunsmith with no waiting most likely is not the person you want to use. I will wait if I must to get it done right. And I will pay top dollar as well. If I wanted cheap I would have stuck with current produced guns which any monkey can work on. The list of excellent workmanship double smith is not long at all.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Please recommend... - 03/06/20 11:13 PM
The best piece of advice you will ever receive is "Build up your relationships with many gunsmiths before you start buying bad guns". This is especially good advice if you are older than 40 years old.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Please recommend... - 03/07/20 12:52 AM
Great advice Eightbore, I have my most appreciated one on speed dial!
Karl
Posted By: gold40 Re: Please recommend... - 03/07/20 01:25 PM
Buck Hamlin of Pevely, Missouri does excellent restoration work on SxS's, and makes small parts when necessary. His backlog is usually about one year.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Please recommend... - 03/07/20 01:58 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I will wait if I must to get it done right. And I will pay top dollar as well. If I wanted cheap I would have stuck with current produced guns which any monkey can work on.

+ 1

Words of wisdom.

SRH
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Please recommend... - 03/07/20 02:36 PM
Originally Posted By: dukxdog

A dog, a cat, a shotgun

An apple, an ocean, an engraver

Sorry, but my 11th and 12th grade English teacher, Mrs. Rhoden, still lives in my head. Like the old man said, "Mama, it's in him and it's got to come out".

Good luck in your search, Dukx.
JR
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Please recommend... - 03/07/20 03:41 PM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Originally Posted By: dukxdog

A dog, a cat, a shotgun

An apple, an ocean, an engraver

Sorry, but my 11th and 12th grade English teacher, Mrs. Rhoden, still lives in my head. Like the old man said, "Mama, it's in him and it's got to come out".

Good luck in your search, Dukx.
JR

Geesh...cryptic and you think witty. Yes, mother told me if I have nothing good to say keep quiet. If you don't know what you are talking about you should also. You don't know who he is or the quality work he does.

Never ceases to amaze me the people expressing their opinions to others who don't contribute positively. Turns out to just be diarrhea of the mouth. Thanks for nothing. Was that really necessary? I'm not sure why you even were compelled to write anything.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Please recommend... - 03/07/20 04:13 PM
Just a suggestion,

But you can search for fox upgrades, or Lindner Daly restorations, and in short order find excellent pictures of the handiwork that certain craftsman can provide.

Some of them some of them are now gone from the marketplace, but you should be able to find the good the bad and the ugly with just a couple of searches.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Please recommend... - 03/07/20 09:23 PM
I hate being right.
JR
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Please recommend... - 03/07/20 09:29 PM
This guy comes highly recommended:
http://www.phillipsgunsmithing.com/services---pricing.html
JR
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Please recommend... - 03/08/20 12:59 AM

I recently used him to fit sub gauge barrels on a sporting clays gun. Good work, quick turnaround and very reasonable price. Better than the service I received from Rich Cole. Thanks
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Please recommend... - 03/08/20 01:34 AM
Like the old man said, "Mama, it's in him and it's got to come out".

John Lee Hooker in his song Boogie Chillun.

"I heard Papa tell Mama......... let that boy boogie woogie ........... it's in 'im, an' it's got to come out".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM3PuXDpKiA (2:00 minutes in)

SRH
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Please recommend... - 03/09/20 12:47 AM
Pete Mazur did similar restoration on a 20 ga. Lindner Daly for me, Sam Welch recut the engraving, and Gary Goudy stocked it. It was a mess when we started and is a beautiful gun now.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com