doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jerry V Lape Prussian Daly question - 03/09/20 05:13 PM
Some time ago there was a assembled partial serial number list and estimated date of production for the Daly Prussian guns discussed. Anyone have a copy or that list?
Posted By: eightbore Re: Prussian Daly question - 03/09/20 09:50 PM
I believe the Prussian Daly serial number situation is complicated enough that those who know don't want to put it in print. The German Gun Collectors Association have some catalog reprints and have had many discussions on their internet sites, but never dare to print a "chart" of serial numbers by year. I hope I am wrong, and such a chart does exist.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Prussian Daly question - 03/09/20 11:58 PM
Ken Georgi is the custodian / caretaker of that list.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: skeettx Re: Prussian Daly question - 03/10/20 12:18 AM
Like this?

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/archives/archive-charles-daly/
Posted By: canvasback Re: Prussian Daly question - 03/10/20 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: eightbore
I believe the Prussian Daly serial number situation is complicated enough that those who know don't want to put it in print. The German Gun Collectors Association have some catalog reprints and have had many discussions on their internet sites, but never dare to print a "chart" of serial numbers by year. I hope I am wrong, and such a chart does exist.

I don’t think it’s some conspiracy. It’s that there are at least two and most likely three different series of serial numbers and there is no definitive documentation that connects a particular serial number to a particular year. The different series of numbers are thought to be sequential. i.e. it is thought that one series ended and a new one began around when the German proof laws changed and Lindner was forced to change his own marks.

However there is no proof. It’s conjecture based on the examination of a number of the guns and their marking.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Prussian Daly question - 03/10/20 08:59 PM
Thanks for the reminder of the GGCA research efforts. I was surprised to see one of my wonderful Lindner guns pictured. Still, I am disappointed that there is not more information about the correlation between serial numbers and dates in chart form. I can't do it. I'm a Parker researcher. However, someone should be able to make a stab at it.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Prussian Daly question - 03/10/20 09:39 PM
I personally think that the ledger lies in the old Suhl jail. Most Germans are akin to Axel E. & are Dirty Boche where they decry the name of H.A. Lindner saying he was a nobody; didn't make jack; have utter disdain for Lindner and it is all a result of pure & utter envy. The other makers were so envious, and possible felt betrayed, of Lindner's lucrative contacts in the U.S. of A. I strongly stand behind this paragraph and anyone has any issue with it, I'll gladly show up on your front stoop & we'll discuss it. But I have yet to get into the Suhl jail to unearth the Lindner Ledger. Then again the Dirty Boche may have burned it.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com