doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lloyd3 OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 03:29 AM
I wake up this morning to discover that instead of just the populous front range, all of Colorado is now under a weak form of martial law, and for something like the next three weeks(!). Initially (well...yesterday), it was only going to be the Denver Metroplex (Denver, Adams, Jefferson & Douglas Counties) which....makes a certain amount of sense. While I'm highly suspicious about many of the components of this mess, what is happening in Italy now seems very real. Since lots of my friends and associates are in what is now being described as the "vulnerable" class for this specific infection, I'm willing to do what it takes....within reason. Our home is somewhat on the edge of the Metroplex, so going away from the crowds is something I do regularly and would do again to "self-isolate" by walking my dog, shooting, fishing, turkey hunting, etc. Since that option has been greatly diminished by our lovely governor, I'm exploring several other options that involve more-rural neighboring states. Our larder is well-stocked, my son is now going to school on-line and my wife is working well within the confines of cyberspace, so everybody is properly occupied except... me. I'm waiting on several work projects to unfold but.....like most of the country....I'm largely stuck cooling my heels. Has anybody here spring turkey hunted in either Nebraska of Kansas?

Posted By: Argo44 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 05:22 AM
Lloyd, My son in Oregon insists he has the right to kayak white-water...nobody is out there but him...except everybody in Portland under lock-down order decided it was best to go hiking in the Cascades...petting his dogs in the process (and two dogs have come down with it)...

Likewise my French wife in McLean wants to go down to the coast for the weekend... After all we're safe, very few cases, nobody will notice.

The problem is the un-sick carriers of the disease apparently are legion...sort of like "Typhoid Mary's" of the 19th century..who didn't get sick but carried the disease (and I had typhoid in Pakistan 45 years ago).

Why not just stay put for 3 weeks on your property? Surely you can find something to do there. Just saying.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 09:23 AM
“petting his dogs in the process (and two dogs have come down with it)... ”

Dogs got Covid 19?
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 10:56 AM
It doesn't apply to all circumstances, but the tough part about travel at this time is some locales are considering it to be a risk factor and imposing a home quarantine on return.

I have relatives in CO, one is shut down from work with ominous written warnings for attempts to get around it. Another had to hunker for going to an in state hot spot, not from the time that they were there, but from the time that the state decided to announce it was a hot spot. There are some places that are saying generally rural activities are fine, but it's the travel that can raise flags, maybe.

No spring hunting or fishing in Colorado?
Posted By: SKB Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 10:59 AM
Turkey season is not open yet and the creeks still have plenty of run off. Spring comes slowly here in the hills.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 02:17 PM
Argo44: I wrestle with that, of course. I already haven't been anywhere for almost 2 weeks now, other than to go shopping for food and household goods. I had planned on self-isolating in all my usual ways but don't seem to have many of those options now. I'll wait for a bit longer to see how all this goes, but really...reason has to be observed here as well. Rural areas are simply not at anywhere the risk of the densely populated cities.

SKB: Turkey season is open in Nebraska now (opened the 25th). Not sure about Kansas but I'm guessing it is as well. I'd likely use a guide and I'd certainly discuss the situation fully with whomever I hired.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 02:38 PM
Lloyd,

There are plenty of WIHA in Kansas open to turkey hunting. I haven't hunted turkeys in Kansas, but always see a few pheasant hunting. The bigger issue will be asking someone to hunt--not sure how people will respond at this time. The stay at home has put a kabash on a few things for me. The gun club is shutdown and an easy place (AFA) for me to go hiking with the dog is off limits. Hopefully, we will be opened back up on 11Apr.

Ken
Posted By: dogon Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 03:15 PM
Lloyd
Colorado isn't under martial law. We are under a state wide stay at home lockdown ordered by the governor. I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but we all are in the same boat.

Please realize that Colorado was virus free until a tourist from Australia went to Europe and then came to Colorado for a few days of skiing in both summit county & vail. This tourist had no idea they were exposed or were showing any signs of being sick until it hit them while in vail. Within two weeks of that one tourist getting sick we had 22 cases that were directly traceable to that one person visiting what could be considered rural Colorado. Now just three weeks or so later we now have over 1000 cases with 14 deaths.

Take a look at New Orleans. They were C-19 free just before Marti Graw. Two weeks later it's looking like they are headed to being the next big hotspot in the nation and it's being blamed on the tourist that came to party for bringing the virus to the event.

The bottom line is it's people moving around that transports this to other places. No one knowingly does this on purpose.

Under our state orders you can still recreate in the outdoors for now. You can go fishing as long as you follow the basic guide lines, but everyone is discouraged from leaving their homes as much as possible in an attempt to slow the roll of the spread of this so our hospitals, medical supplies & staff's don't totally get over whelmed all at once.

We all need to do our part for the better good of everyone. Ask yourself. Do I want to be the one that possibly brings the virus to rural Kansas, Nebraska or elsewhere where they don't have the medical facilities to handle it? Another thing to consider. Planting time is just around the corner in the farm belt. We need these farm communities healthily, so they can produce our food for this fall and next year.

We're all bored & stressed over this whole thing. None of us have ever seen or experienced anything like it, but it is up to us as individuals to do what we can to keep ourselves, our family members & our fellow Americans as safe I healthy as we can. This will pass & we'll be able to get back to some form of normal life after this storm has passed.
Posted By: lagopus Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 03:35 PM
Join the club! U.K, already in lockdown. Shooting and fishing are classed as unnecessary travel so are also no, no's. Expect it to hit big in your cities. Seems to clobber those with underlying respiratory health problems worst. Lot of people wishing they hadn't taken up smoking when they were younger. Does hit indiscriminately as well though so no-one really safe. Now we have Prince Charles with it including the Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Health Secretary Matt Hancock. Trump will probably get it with all the people he meets. We have to stay two metres apart from non-family members and not in groups of more than two. Supposed to only go out once per day for exercise locally and only go out for essential supplies or to work if can't work from home. No non-essential travel. Take care over there and treat it seriously! Lagopus…..
Posted By: L. Brown Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 03:54 PM
My wife and I are fortunate to live in rural northern Wisconsin. Our property is very close to a large state wildlife area. We can walk our dogs on a road and trails through the area until April 15 with almost no chance of encountering anyone else. After April 15, dogs off leash aren't allowed on the wildlife area. But we're also very near to thousands of acres of county forest, also with roads and trails we can use. We also both do some jogging, and we can do that on the road we live on. Less traffic than normal (meaning almost none), and minimal chance of meeting anyone else. So even while isolating and practicing social distancing, we have quite a few options. Other than the gun clubs being closed, our lifestyle isn't cramped very much. We can still get takeout from local restaurants, and will do so to support them during this time of hardship for our local supper clubs.

Eventually, this too will pass. I'm hoping it does so before the panfishing becomes active on local lakes. But I can probably do that as well while avoiding contact with other humans. Small lakes with primitive access (fine for my canoe), so very little boat traffic. I usually go early in the morning and have the water (and the fish) to myself.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 03:57 PM
Dogon: Thank you for that. A very reasoned and informative response to my query. It's a hard thing for me to balance the freedoms that I consider to be my birthright with the harsh realities of this current challenge. You also seem to be privy to more credible facts about this lock-down than most are. The endlessly shrill (and perhaps destructive?) response from most of the media outlets seem to be the worst part of it for me. It somehow makes me want defy those perfidious twits or...at-least act to defend those freedoms, even if only symbolically. I will re-think my plans.
Posted By: ed good Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 04:28 PM
this too will pass...

lots of good books to read and re read, like "gone with the wind"...

lots of great tv series and movies to watch and re watch, like "any human heart"...and "quest for fire"...
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 04:43 PM
I live in Portland and am lamenting that I may not get to go turkey hunting in a couple weeks. Yes, I could head to the hills, but a turkey isn't worth possibly infecting someone, or getting pulled over and getting a ticket for non-essential travel. Sigh.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 05:22 PM
Mark, is turkey hunting not grocery shopping?

Do what you feel is right, but if the turkey woods is close and unlikely to cause you to encounter someone, seems like it should be doable. I am hoping to go in a couple or three weeks.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 07:10 PM
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike" - John Muir, Travels in Alaska.

Shamelessly stole the quote from a fellow on another website. Seemed appropriate here.
Posted By: ed good Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 07:26 PM
as fur turkey huntin...should be a 365 day, 24 hour bounty on does grouse eatin varmints...
Posted By: dogon Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 08:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Dogon: Thank you for that. A very reasoned and informative response to my query. It's a hard thing for me to balance the freedoms that I consider to be my birthright with the harsh realities of this current challenge. You also seem to be privy to more credible facts about this lock-down than most are. The endlessly shrill (and perhaps destructive?) response from most of the media outlets seem to be the worst part of it for me. It somehow makes me want defy those perfidious twits or...at-least act to defend those freedoms, even if only symbolically. I will re-think my plans.

You're more than welcome. I've spent quite a bit of time attempting to separation facts from fiction over this whole mess & sometime feel the need to share the insights I've learned about it.

We've all probably had to change or modify lots of plans lately. In the past two weeks I've had an elective surgery cancelled, have been in the loop for cancelling a field trail that was scheduled in early April in South Dakota, but the biggie was making the heart wrenching decision to call off the planned big family blow-out party celebrating my mothers 90th birthday yesterday. We had a hall rented and there were several family members scheduled to fly into town for the party. It was a tough decision, but the correct one. We did mange to pull off a small family gathering out in the front yard while making sure to keep plenty of distance from each other. It was enough to bring tears to Mom's eyes!
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 08:33 PM
Somebody mentioned a cognitive dissonance (another physician, on another site) about the refusal to take this matter more seriously. I explained to him that because of our badly corrupted media (which has shamelessly abandoned any pretense of disinterest in political outcomes in this country) many folks just don't find a
lot of what is reported to be credible. I guess I'm suffering a bit from that problem as well.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 09:42 PM
Suffer from it? I don’t think so. There’s a poster geezer for the condition, and probably near half the country will have contracted it come November. They try to quarantine him, but it t doesn’t work, he sneaks out for five to seven minute embarrassments every chance he gets.
Posted By: J O'Neill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 10:23 PM
Lloyd & Dogon: We're also on "stay at home" order up here in Summit County. Even before this order it fell like we were living in a bit of a ghost town. When the governor shut the ski areas almost two weeks ago all the weekenders and spring breakers left. (Shortages disappeared with them).

Since the "lockdown" it doesn't seem much different, other than some odd retail issues. My wife and I went to a local store (to remain nameless) yesterday to buy a sewing machine and materials to churn out masks for a senior rehab center. The aisles for this stuff were roped off. We got permission to get what we needed, but ran into a "you can't buy this" at checkout. Then we were cleared. A second visit (had miscalculated on some things) took an act of Congress to complete, but we did. The funny thing is that other stores don't seem to have the same level of restrictions.

Anyway... we walk the dogs a lot, I fished a bit yesterday, and today was mask production. We'll have 70 made by tomorrow. Stay healthy, gentlemen!
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/27/20 10:26 PM
Good job on making the masks. That is happening here too.

I tried to donate the one N95 I have and a box of gloves but the hospital that requested them suddenly reversed gears. They still need them, but now there is some complicated way to submit them and as an out of towner, I couldn't stick around to figure it out. Next trip I guess.
Posted By: dogon Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 02:58 PM
Originally Posted By: J O'Neill
Lloyd & Dogon: We're also on "stay at home" order up here in Summit County. Even before this order it fell like we were living in a bit of a ghost town. When the governor shut the ski areas almost two weeks ago all the weekenders and spring breakers left. (Shortages disappeared with them).

Since the "lockdown" it doesn't seem much different, other than some odd retail issues. My wife and I went to a local store (to remain nameless) yesterday to buy a sewing machine and materials to churn out masks for a senior rehab center. The aisles for this stuff were roped off. We got permission to get what we needed, but ran into a "you can't buy this" at checkout. Then we were cleared. A second visit (had miscalculated on some things) took an act of Congress to complete, but we did. The funny thing is that other stores don't seem to have the same level of restrictions.

Anyway... we walk the dogs a lot, I fished a bit yesterday, and today was mask production. We'll have 70 made by tomorrow. Stay healthy, gentlemen!

I feel for everyone in Summit county, the residence up there really took the brunt of the early close downs. Kudo's to you & your wife for going the extra mile with the mask production! Thank You for your efforts!!!
Posted By: pod Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 03:05 PM
Thank you for your' efforts. It seems that no good deed does not go unpunished.
Posted By: Hal Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 03:36 PM
Snow geese coming in big numbers now. Time to isolate myself on the deck and start flailing away at them. We had our first corona death in ND yesterday.
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Hal
Snow geese coming in big numbers now. Time to isolate myself on the deck and start flailing away at them. We had our first corona death in ND yesterday.

Three dead in the township (county) that I live in. My ex has it and is quarantined along with my son. My dog likes how much time I'm spending with her. No hunting here....turkey is a month away.
Posted By: Colonial Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 04:52 PM
For comparison, H1N1 killed 12,469 in the USA (2009)
I clearly remember the total lockdown......um .....don't you?
I don't either.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 05:12 PM
CB, I wish the best for you and your family. We're "sheltering in place" here and taking all precautions we can.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 05:49 PM
To you and your family, take care Bill, looks like you're very much in an MT hot spot.
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 06:07 PM
Thanks Bill.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 06:11 PM
Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: Hal

Three dead in the township (county) that I live in. My ex has it and is quarantined along with my son. My dog likes how much time I'm spending with her. No hunting here....turkey is a month away.

CB, sorry to hear of your family involvement with the virus. I know it must be awful not to see your son (maybe not so much with the ex). I wish you the best and pray your family will be OK...Geo
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 06:17 PM
Originally Posted By: DmColonial
I don't either.

This will dwarf that. Don't be so dismissive.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 07:11 PM
Originally Posted By: BrentD
I don't either.

Where do you get your info from?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 07:14 PM
Originally Posted By: craigd
I don't either.

Where do you get your info from?

CDC and standard disease models that fit to the data. Pretty simple stuff.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 07:35 PM
Craig, so far our community hasn't been hit very hard though I can't help thinking it will come. Bozeman has been the center of Montana's infection. Our governor is doing a good job. Let's hope we see a corner turned soon. Thanks, Bill
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 08:07 PM
Haven't been hearing much about it from the Great White North here. So very sorry to hear about your family James. Please keep us appraised as to their progress. Haven't been hearing much of anything useful from the mainstream media of late, and that may be the biggest challenge we all need to face here....getting credible and useful information from a trusted source. Depending on who you use to get your news of the world, you will either be scared to death or you will be guardedly hopeful about the outcome of all this. All I have to hear from somebody (that I may even only know casually) is who they get their news from. The minute I know that, I can fairly easily deduce what their political leanings will be and how they are responding to all of this. The loss of credibility of so much of the media is arguably the biggest complication we all face. Many folks I know have to essentially triangulate the news (listen or read from multiple sources) to dope out what the actual facts are on a matter. A frustrating and poor use of time for many who are struggling with the economic component of all this.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 08:11 PM
If you haven't been hearing useful information in the mainstream media, then truly, you have your head in the sand.

Go back to your elementary biology classes and what did you learn about disease dynamics, exponential growth, minimum populations to spark epidemics.

Some of you guys are so willingly blinded by your politics that you are flatly ignoring biology. Biology doesn't follow party lines. In this case, it will kill a hyperconservative as fast as a hyperliberal.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 08:19 PM
BrentD: The spin is so-bad now on some outlets that anything truthful is very hard to discern. I have enough of a science and work background to know when I'm not hearing the whole story. We've clearly been told conflicting things about what is working and what has not. If you think NPR and MSNBC are telling you all you need to know, then go with that and God Bless.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 08:22 PM
Okay, you have convinced yourself you can't learn. If I have learned anything in 3.5 decades of teaching it is that I cannot teach that those that are not willing to learn.

Good grief. Go to the CDC and do your own fact checking. If you don't trust them either, then dive into the literature, and if you don't trust that, fall on your sword I guess. That's all you have left.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 08:26 PM
BrentD: You're making me glad I'm not one of your students...

I'm not discounting the data from the CDC and I do look at that, almost daily now. It's largely the taking heads who interpret that data as well that I disagree with on so-many levels.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 08:34 PM
That's mutual, Loyd. My students understand the math and the biology of this. They can, like most educated people, look at the data and do their own analyses. You seem determined not to. That's your choice, odd as it is.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 08:41 PM
If you haven't been hearing useful information in the mainstream media, then truly, you have your head in the sand.

Go back to your elementary biology classes and what did you learn about disease dynamics, exponential growth, minimum populations to spark epidemics.

Some of you guys are so willingly blinded by your politics that you are flatly ignoring biology. Biology doesn't follow party lines. In this case, it will kill a hyperconservative as fast as a hyperliberal.

You read kind of goofy Brent.

If you're a science kind of guy, haven't therapies in just the past two days already started flattening curves, for instance even Cuomo has backed off on some of your chicken little rhetoric? Doesn't the science say this thing has a surprisingly low mutation rate and should be routine to vaccinate against? I don't believe their numbers for a moment, but are you accepting that china is pulling out of it, but the US can't?

Or, does grade school level bio class fit your narrative better. I think you're hyperacademic, the fasttracking might be double blind siding your charts and graphs.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 08:47 PM
That's mutual, Loyd. My students understand the math and the biology of this. They can, like most educated people, look at the data and do their own analyses. You seem determined not to. That's your choice, odd as it is.

Boy, I for one am glad we have a nation of college students out of the classroom. I don't want to hear it, please don't tell me you're making them watch video streams of you.

Seems like you're trying to flunk Lloyd and he's not even in your class. Close your eyes, imagine all your student's faces, they're just regurging things that make you feel good, so that they get what they want, that little piece of paper.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 09:06 PM
craig, as I and others have said before, you write kinda goofy, so I guess we are even.

"starting to flatten the curve" Do you have a clue what the curve it, what sort of number is produces and how far one has to go to be "flat enough"?

Criticize me all you want. Do the math yourself. You obviously know how (right?). Show us the answers. Post them right here.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 09:25 PM
BrentD: We're clearly not going to see this situation in the same light. My only question would be why are you so combative about it?

Also...

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbauman...-masks-n2565908
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 09:53 PM
Lloyd you came here saying you don't know what to believe. Therefore you don't seem to have anything reliable yet you know with this admitted lack of confidence in your knowledge that whatever it is that I know is worthless and pass me a few insults on that account. And then there is craigd, so yeah, it's hard to figure, if you really don't want to figure. Otherwise, it is pretty easy.

No one is more grateful than me that your not a tuition paying student here.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 11:06 PM
No Brent, that is not what I was intimating.

What I basically said is that I don't know "who" to believe about the facts of this pandemic. Most of the mainstream press in this country has clearly abandoned any pretense of being an honest broker of the news. They are clearly (at least to me) gleeful to have this issue to report on and...they seem to be projecting nothing but the gloomiest and doom-iest outlooks they can locate. Now...part of that is their business model, as fear unquestionably sells face-time. However, I can't help but suspect that this narrative dovetails nicely with their clearly-telegraphed (w/90% negative coverage of this President) hopes for the upcoming election. Many are now dropping the Whitehouse daily briefings on the outbreak because they claim that the President is somehow "misleading" the public. What is more-obvious to me is that the polls are indicating the approval ratings for President Trump's handling of this tragedy (and it is tragic now, no question) are mostly positive and climbing. I think we still have much to learn about how this challenge needs to be met, but it is not helpful to spread fear and even dis-information to further their rather-nefarious ends. I pray that there is an accounting for all the misdeeds that I have seen and heard occur in the last few weeks and months.

As an example...

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/...eople-to-death/
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 11:18 PM

Really Brent? Your media is the media that lambasted Trump as racist in early Feb for closing borders with China. Now they are bitching he didn't do enough fast enough.

The head of the WHO was saying in mid January there was no evidence of human to human transmission.

The governor of Nevada is banned the use of chloroquine because Trump touted it as a possible cure. Trump is shit on for touting it by the media. In the previous 3 days, the media had been touting it in stories about the small test in France that was so successful.

The media deride Trump on chloroquine and say nothing when Cuomo stockpiles it for New York.

And I'm not even trying.

There is enough bullshit and misinformation to go around. And its being spread on both the left and the right. Quit pretending you and your side has the moral high ground.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 11:35 PM
Lloyd, if Breitbart is what you consider reliable news, then that explains a lot.

craigd, Trump didn't do a lot of things fast enough, and he still isn't. And he lies about what he is doing while continuing to tell us over and over about the amazing sacrifices HE is making. And people will die - lots of them - as a result. I think it was on this forum that I listed what he could and should be doing a good while back. And some here said I was overreacting (a bit less polite as I recall). Now those things are being done (mostly halfassedly). Weeks late and hundreds of millions of dollars short. He lost the window of opportunity, and now we pay for it.

The buck stops where? At some desk in a funny-shaped room on a Pennsylvania St. somewhere.

I'll raise a glass of scotch tonight to toast to your bottle of chloroquine. Good luck with that.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/28/20 11:53 PM
....Trump didn't do a lot of things fast enough, and he still isn't. And he lies about what he is doing while continuing to tell us over and over about the amazing sacrifices HE is making. And people will die - lots of them - as a result....

No wonder lefties whine about needing ventilators. You’re pretty generous with other folks money, yours is for scotch, custom smithing and philosophizing about molding mushy minds?

Edit to add; hey cback, sorry to hear this virus is hitting close to home.
Posted By: keith Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 01:26 AM
It pains me greatly to find myself in partial agreement with at least some of what BrentD has posted.

Like Lloyd, I see a lot of Fake News from the anti-Trump media. They see this pandemic as just another opportunity to try to remove the President. But there are enough credible sources to know that this Covid19 virus may be very dangerous. It appears to spread extremely easily, and if they discovered a vaccine today, it wouldn't be tested,8 approved, manufactured, and distributed for at least a year to 14 months. There is absolutely nobody who could predict how or if this virus could mutate. And right now, there is no proven drug therapy that is guaranteed to save lives. It is way too early in this game to make predictions.

I urge everyone to Google "1918 Spanish Flu Smithsonian Magazine" for several very good articles. It is amazing that something that killed so many people was largely forgotten, while everyone knows about a much smaller loss of life when the Titanic sunk six years earlier. 195,000 people died in one month in October 1918 in the U.S. alone. And the U.S. population was much smaller. It almost seems as if it was so horrific that the entire world tried to forget it happened. Epidemiologists have been telling us that this would happen again.... not if, but when.

As far as Donald Trump's response, I don't believe BrentD' s claim that he complained Trump wasn't doing enough early on. I'd like to see proof of that statement. Worthless lying Democrats were roundly criticizing Trump for shutting down travel with China, and later Europe, calling him xenophobic and saying it was an over-reaction, When it comes to the speed of his recent responses, we all know it was disingenuous Democrats who were stalling and trying to slide all kinds of unrelated Socialist crap into the Stimulus bill. And if Trump had stated an intention 4 months ago to build 100,000 ventilators and crank out millions of masks, gloves, and other PPE, then Democrats and the slime on CNN would have claimed that he wasn't fit for office.

I want to remind everyone again that the Obama administration was bringing people sick with Ebola back into the U.S., which is about as irresponsible as you can get.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 01:30 AM
Brent: No more or less reliable than CBS/NBC or ABC. Their "spin" might be different, albeit, but they mostly report on the very same stuff. The only real differences are the omissions. As I mentioned earlier, you and I will likely see these things from very different perspectives and that's fine with me. I don't need lockstep adherence to my views in order to have a conversation. In this now clearly dangerous time, an informed opinion is quite valuable. As a tenured professor who shoots fine guns, your opinions are interesting and unusual here. An "echo-chamber" adds no value to me. I may already suffer from confirmation-bias and nobody can afford that anymore.

A comment you made earlier is also somewhat troubling to me. Perhaps I was a bit too-blunt when I mentioned that I was glad that I wasn't one of your students. It was more of an "excited utterance" than anything deliberate and certainly not intended to be insulting. Your other conversations here can be pretty "direct" for lack of a better description, and I simply didn't filter my thoughts at the time of my writing it. Teaching is clearly your ricebowl and it was thoughtless of me to be that inconsiderate.

Keith: Glad to see you here. I was hoping to get word of how things are going in my "old country". Not much news percolates out from there anymore for me. My living connections are all going or gone, sadly. You must also know how the "Spanish" flu was named and that it started in Ft. Riley, Kansas?
Posted By: dogon Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 02:25 AM
Argue all you want. Then try arguing with the rest of the world.

The pictures in this video pretty much size the matter up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFZZF39fgWM
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 02:53 AM
Thank you for not showing pictures of the ice rinks.
Posted By: ed good Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 06:30 PM
rome is burning, while you guys argue about the relative value of fire fighting equipment and who lit the match...

lets all pull together and do what our leader tells us to do to put the damn fire out.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 06:32 PM
Corona virus is not a partisan issue. What we have to have is response from expertise and experience. Our President would do a better job by getting out of the way and STFU. He clearly lacks a clue.
Posted By: ed good Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 06:39 PM
bill: or the pres is providing strong leadership and wise judgement in the face of this extraordinary national crisis...

cannot think of anyone else i would rather have in charge now, than trump...

who or what is he in the way of? specifics, please?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 07:28 PM
Good news you won't hear from the mainstream press...

https://townhall.com/columnists/kevinmcc...he-way-n2565926
Posted By: ed good Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 07:40 PM
good news, indeed...hope it is just the beginning of a lot of good news, which we all need to hear... whether it turns out to be real or not, at least it is not more bad news...and provides us with hope...

an as for the fire, sounds like rain may be in the forecast...
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 08:03 PM
ed, when the President contradicts every qualified authority and asserts his whim of the moment, it is not leadership. It is incompetence in action. All he can see is his endangered re-election. The economy was to be his salvation, and it's the focus of his concern, not your health.
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Corona virus is not a partisan issue. What we have to have is response from expertise and experience. Our President would do a better job by getting out of the way and STFU. He clearly lacks a clue.

I would suggest Bill, that not having a clue is not a partisan issue. The leaders of most countries have been shown to not having a clue. The medical profession has been divided on appropriate responses. Everyone ignored the early warning signs no matter what side of the aisle they were on.

Take you bias out of it and Trump has been as good, on average, as most other first world nation leaders. And his opposition continues to be interested in scoring political points, rather than pulling together to solve the problem.

And then there is the bias in favor of Big Pharma by the media, which is a whole 'nuther story.
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 08:31 PM
ed, when the President contradicts every qualified authority and asserts his whim of the moment, it is not leadership. It is incompetence in action. All he can see is his endangered re-election. The economy was to be his salvation, and it's the focus of his concern, not your health.

I'll repeat it again Bill......

Mid January the head of the WHO is proclaiming no evidence of human to human spread of Covid19.

Feb 1 Trump closes the border with China and he's called a racist who is over-reacting. In hindsight he should have done it Jan 1.

The MSM touts the small and wildly successful chloroquine test in France for three day, until Trump does. Then Trump is an idiot. I mean, come on now.

And if you think the health carnage that will result from laying waste to the world economy won't be on par with the death toll from Covid19, well, you don't don't understand how the world works.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 09:23 PM
CB, I can't be too worried about the economy or my own portfolio when we're weeks behind in dealing with the pandemic. If you and I, our families, survive the disease, then we can begin to worry about picking up the pieces. I'm perfectly willing to credit Trump with the early China closure. It's the only thing he got right so far. I'm not trying to defend criticism of that impulse. That the WHO got something seriously wrong is no defense of Trump's ineptitude. In a crisis he is no leader; he's an albatross around the neck of people who ought to be listened to and followed. He has no expertise himself, and in his narcissism is hostile to everyone who does.
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 09:29 PM
CB, I can't be too worried about the economy or my own portfolio when we're weeks behind in dealing with the pandemic. If you and I, our families, survive the disease, then we can begin to worry about picking up the pieces. I'm perfectly willing to credit Trump with the early China closure. It's the only thing he got right so far. I'm not trying to defend criticism of that impulse. That the WHO got something seriously wrong is no defense of Trump's ineptitude. In a crisis he is no leader; he's an albatross around the neck of people who ought to be listened to and followed. He has no expertise himself, and in his narcissism is hostile to everyone who does.

my point Bill is in this crisis you are under the impression you have an extra bad leader. That's not true. There has been a failure of leadership at the national level in just about every first worlkd country. In some ways it's stunning and in other ways it's not. Don't feel special. Idiots abound.

Trudeau has Trump beat hands down. Among other things he sent our governmental emergency supply of (Chinese made) face masks to China in February. China hadn't even appealed for help...he just sent the stuff. Virtue signalling of the highest order and now we are running out.

https://i.postimg.cc/25jMTDb0/575-FC745-3-E7-B-409-F-834-D-3-A9-CD60983-F6.jpg
Posted By: ed good Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 10:14 PM
bill: ah ax agin...specifics, specifics please...
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 10:54 PM
CB, I can't judge the effectiveness of Trudeau. I don't pay attention to him. Trump I watch step by step. He is utterly clueless. He contradicts his own specialists at every turn. He doesn't have any knowledge applicable to the crisis ,and yet he can't stand not to appear in control. Let me say again, this is not partisan. My hatred of Trump is aside from my dismay at his handling the present crisis. His turning the management of it over to Pence is a cruel and unusual joke. It's Fester and Carbunkle to the rescue.
Posted By: ed good Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 10:54 PM
https://video.foxnews.com/v/6145581628001#sp=show-clips
Posted By: Hal Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 11:28 PM
http://www.microbe.tv/twievo/

good place to read up on the science.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 11:36 PM
Originally Posted By: ed good
bill: ah ax agin...specifics, specifics please...

Ed, you will never get the consideration you desire as long as you continue to emulate "Sambo" in your speech.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/29/20 11:40 PM
Bill, you just admitted to hatred of Trump. Do you really understand the meaning of the word hatred?

SRH
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 12:38 AM
Stan, Yes, I think I do. In this case it means that I see a man with no principles, no moral compass, no information, no wisdom, no compassion, no empathy who is pretending to be a leader, a man who couldn't manage a garage sale. Never mind his ridiculous hair. Look at the turnover rate in the WH. No one with any ability or ethics can survive in that swamp. He can't stand competence b ecause he has none himself. I hate Trump because I see the daily damage he does to the country. Evangelicals worship him because, like him, they reject science and reason in favor of a tooth ferry version of Christianity. Hatred is a dangerous state of mind, but there are situations where no other response is available that does not make you an accomplice.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 12:46 AM
Stan,
Rocky Mtn Bill is a dumb, stupid, hateful left-wing ultra liberal socialist idiot a s s hole who would not know truth if he laid down next to it. Don't bother with asking him anything. He's a very twisted human being, obviously. His rants against President Trump are all the proof needed. CNN should hire him tomorrow.
JR
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 12:50 AM
Bill, you miss my point. Objectively Trump is no better or worse than other leaders. It is only your hatred for him that makes you feel he’s doing an especially bad job.

You need to get out more. You have a rather myopic and uninformed world view.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 12:57 AM
John, I have no quarrel with you. Your views are no concern to me. What makes our country great is that each of us can think and speak as we see fit.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 12:58 AM
....couldn't manage a garage sale. Never mind his ridiculous hair. Look at the turnover rate in the WH. No one with any ability or ethics can survive in that swamp. He can't stand competence b ecause he has none himself. I hate Trump because I see the daily damage he does to the country. Evangelicals worship him because, like him, they reject science and reason in favor of a tooth ferry version of Christianity. Hatred is a dangerous state of mind, but there are situations where no other response is available that does not make you an accomplice.

Bill, hatred is NOT a dangerous state of mind, it's used as an excuse by some folks for the lack of a moral compass.

Quick question, except for aoc, when your best ever President stuck up for Justice Kavanaugh, didn't he show the most political spine since biden called barak a clean black guy? Or, maybe you identify with moral fortitude it takes to say that you can't go to a 7-11 or duncan donuts without a slight indian accent?

The science of hypocrisy, eh bill?
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 01:09 AM
....If you think the President is competent, nothing anyone can say can makes any difference to you. "There are none so blind as those who will not see."

Bill, if someone thinks biden is competent, what's that say about them? It's odd that you have the will to see, yet lack the moral compass to justify anything.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 01:13 AM
CB, By any objective standard he is worse then Richard Nixon who may have been a crook but who nonetheless had some very substantial achievements.
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 01:34 AM
BTW France just announced they have sanctioned the use of chloroquine to combat Covid19. That Trump. What a dummy, eh?
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 01:41 AM
CB, By any objective standard he is worse then Richard Nixon who may have been a crook but who nonetheless had some very substantial achievements.

Not nearly the crooks Bill and Hillary are. As Craig so wonderfully and regularly points out....it’s just you seeing what you want to see. And not seeing what you don’t want to see.

One positive thing from this whole pandemic thing. As the push to on line learning is dramatically accelerated, the curtain is being pulled back on the leftist bullshit spewed by tenured professors under the guise of teaching and they are already getting worried they will be exposed. Always a silver lining.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 02:24 AM
[quote=rocky mtn bill]
One positive thing from this whole pandemic thing. As the push to on line learning is dramatically accelerated, the curtain is being pulled back on the leftist bullshit spewed by tenured professors under the guise of teaching and they are already getting worried they will be exposed. Always a silver lining.

Really?

How's that? Care to document and explain. Sounds like you are talking out your ass there.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 02:25 AM
Stan, Yes, I think I do. In this case it means that I see a man with no principles, no moral compass, no information, no wisdom, no compassion, no empathy who is pretending to be a leader, a man who couldn't manage a garage sale. Never mind his ridiculous hair. Look at the turnover rate in the WH. No one with any ability or ethics can survive in that swamp. He can't stand competence b ecause he has none himself. I hate Trump because I see the daily damage he does to the country. Evangelicals worship him because, like him, they reject science and reason in favor of a tooth ferry version of Christianity. Hatred is a dangerous state of mind, but there are situations where no other response is available that does not make you an accomplice.

Thanks for the response, Bill. That pretty much tells me all I think I need to know. Sometimes people use the word hate in a way that does not ensure that they actually have considered the full meaning of the word. Now I know that you are not in that group, and actually have fully considered it.

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt as long as I feel I can. No more, in your case. Keith has been right about you all along. My apologies, keith, for not seeing it clearly before now.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 02:29 AM
[quote=rocky mtn bill]

Really?

How's that? Care to document and explain. Sounds like you are talking out your ass there.

Hit dog hollers, eh BrentD?

SRH
Posted By: ed good Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 02:45 AM
cant reason wid hate...

hard to feel sympathy for one consumed by hate, but i do...

has to be a miserable existence...
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 02:57 AM
[quote=rocky mtn bill]

Really?

Well, I won’t be doing any research tonight to document things for you Brent but you must be aware of the, I believe communications, prof who happily confirmed that any student of his who even mentioned Jordan Peterson would fail the course.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/professor-vows-to-fail-students-if-they-cite-jordan-peterson/

Are you really going to deny that our university campuses are hotbeds of leftist thought and cancel culture
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 03:22 AM
How is this Brent?

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/03/2...online-classes/
Posted By: keith Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 03:40 AM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Stan,
Rocky Mtn Bill is a dumb, stupid, hateful left-wing ultra liberal socialist idiot a s s hole who would not know truth if he laid down next to it. Don't bother with asking him anything. He's a very twisted human being, obviously. His rants against President Trump are all the proof needed. CNN should hire him tomorrow.
JR

It is good to see more and more people realizing just how ignorant rocky mtn bill really is.

Billy has been so totally dishonest with us, and even with himself, that he can see only one small positive thing that Trump has done in 3 1/2 years.... yet he can see nothing but good things from the disastrous Obama administration.

Billy isn't very bright. In fact, he is about as stupid as you can be without being a vegetable. Trump, on the other hand, fully understands the possibility that bringing the economy to a near standstill for too long could send us into a global depression that could make the 1929 Crash and Great Depression seem mild by comparison. This is deeply concerning with Trump at the helm. The prospect of having a Liberal Left Democrat Socialist running things right now is too frightening to even think about.

rocky mtn bill frequently tries to get me banned. Censorship is something he would love to wield here... along with several other Liberal turds. But I don't want to see Billy banned or silenced. I feel it is high time gun owners everywhere finally start to understand just how destructive these Libtards are, and how they are undermining the bedrock principles that this country was built upon.
Posted By: keith Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 04:22 AM
Lloyd, we are still in the very early innings of the pandemic here in flyover country. There is only one confirmed case of Covid19 in Venango county, but I expect that will change dramatically over the next several weeks.

Much of the State is shut down, but I'm sill working. I'm just doing what I can to keep it at bay, and taking numerous vitamins, Echinacea, Turkey tail tincture, etc. to boost my immune system. Pretty much resigned to getting it, and hoping for a mild case. I even checked how much oxygen I have in my oxy-acetylene burning and welding outfits. A lady my daughter worked with died from Covid19 two days ago. She was in her mid-50s and no underlying medical conditions. She was in the hospital and improving, but then she crashed, probably from sepsis.

I'm thinking we should send all of our Libtards to China as retaliation for them giving this crap to the world. But that would probably be a violation of the Geneva Convention.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 04:40 AM
Originally Posted By: keith
....She was in her mid-50s and no underlying medical conditions. She was in the hospital and improving, but then she crashed, probably from sepsis.

I'm thinking we should send all of our Libtards to China as retaliation for them giving this crap to the world....

Yup, a few weeks ago, competence according to bill was to squawk about racism. I don't know the circumstances about the lady mentioned above, but if someone is sent home to self quarantine with a suspected case, it's probably not the worst idea to have trusted friends or family keep tabs on the person for that possibility of a sudden turn.
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 05:05 AM
Breaking news.

FDA has made an emergency approval of chloroquine after Dr Vladimir Zelenko treated 699 patients in NYC with the drug and had a 100% success rate.

Meanwhile the Democratic Nevada governor banned its use a few days ago for Covid19 .

Come on Bill. Tell me again how dumb Trump was for touting this as a potential cure.

How about dealing in facts instead of hate.

Sandoz and Bayer have donated 31 million doses to the Strategic National Stockpile. The French doctor who original brought this to light has repeated his original success, curing 79 of 80 critically ill patients.

That hateful crazy Trump, eh Bill.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 11:57 AM
Stan, On reflection, it really isn't Trump himself that bothers me so. He is merely a symptom of the times though he is a master at capitalizing on those symptoms. And, hatred really isn't the right word either. It comes down to anger and frustration at seeing the country torn apart. I blame Trump for much because he polarizes every issue and attacks all who question or disagree. His vision of a desirable future and the means he is willing to use to in order to achieve it are simply wrong. That many support and admire him is is profoundly discouraging. I appreciate your asking for clarification.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 12:17 PM
IMO- and I hate politics and distrust ALL politicians, as I do the BATFE and IRS-- Trump will continue to be our POTUS up to 2024- why?? He supports the 2nd Amendment and the NRA- and as a life member, he will always have my support--

In our rural acre- local gun shops are out of handgun defense type ammo, reloading supplies for handgun and shotshells, and used 12 gauge pump shotguns of any make and model are being sought for possible anti-rioting/home invasion scenarios. Panic mode- I'm always ready for a upcoming SHTF scenario-- RWTF
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 12:52 PM
....hatred really isn't the right word either. It comes down to anger and frustration at seeing the country torn apart. I blame Trump for much because he polarizes every issue and attacks all who question or disagree....

....That many support and admire him is is profoundly discouraging....

On at least the handling of the coronavirus issue, the majority of the country approves of the job the President is doing. Polling is a science, right?

Have you ever looked up the definition of the word, bork? Why would someone necessarily become emotional? You could just as easily make the decision to wake up one morning and decide not to be polarizing, yet you make the decision to do the opposite. Maybe, the question to ask is why a left wing brain jumps to the conclusion of hatred, and then becomes stuck on the hypocrisy of justifying.

Let's see what the dems do to nominate a candidate, will of the people or an opportunity to reintroduce mega foriegn funding in the back room shadows of social distancing and manicured video releases for the sheeple, eh?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 01:31 PM
Keith: Thank you for that. Spring comes earlier here than there, and with the better weather I'm outside and walking as much as possible in the sunshine (distancing...of course). I'm jealous that you're still working as all my projects are Federal and are now dead in the water. At 62, I'm nearing the age range of being at some risk (notwithstanding your chilling report of your daughter's mid 50-year old coworker) but...I'm in better shape now than I've been in arguably 20 years. Post-Lymes, my immune system seems to work pretty darn well now, so I'm hopeful. I could become a complete hermit to avoid any risk, but we have a 16-year old who is looking for work to pay for his old car habit, so it seems to be inevitable that we will be exposed eventually. Cowering in our homes is a pretty miserable existence so... not sure how long that will last for me here. My son calls this "lock-down" situation "light communism" which I thought was fairly insightful.

Canvasback: I'm a huge Jordan Peterson fan. His lectures on YouTube are nothing short of spectacular. I own both of his books but listening to him is far-better than just reading him. Can't wait for whatever he does next.
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 01:59 PM
Stan, On reflection, it really isn't Trump himself that bothers me so. He is merely a symptom of the times though he is a master at capitalizing on those symptoms. And, hatred really isn't the right word either. It comes down to anger and frustration at seeing the country torn apart. I blame Trump for much because he polarizes every issue and attacks all who question or disagree. His vision of a desirable future and the means he is willing to use to in order to achieve it are simply wrong. That many support and admire him is is profoundly discouraging. I appreciate your asking for clarification.

Trump polorizes every issue?? How about this one Bill. The subject of the thread. How about Nancy Pelosi scuttling last Monday (if only for a day or two) the bipartisan 2 trillion bailout? Is that recent enough you can remember it?

I notice, as others have before, that you NEVER directly respond to a post like this. But that's okay. You can't. You haven't a leg to stand on. You are busy swirling in your own world of hate and misery, guided by (by your own admission) extremely limited information that is rife with confirmation bias. The truth is you have no idea what you are talking about. You don't avail yourself of the facts, you simple repeat the hate.

Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 02:01 PM
Lloyd, not sure if you know this but Jordan Peterson has been extremely ill since last fall. Was on the road to recovery last I heard but with the Covid19 virus about, I'm sure he's in a very high risk situation. I wish him well.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 02:13 PM
James: Sadly, I had heard that. Both he and his wife seem to be facing some pretty extreme challenges. We certainly do live in interesting times (wasn't that an old Chinese curse/proverb?).
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 02:59 PM
I just returned from an hour's walk on Mount Sentinel. The open west face is full of meadowlarks, and they're singing full blast. I saw robins and the season's first mountain bluebird. Being outdoors helps. John Prine is seriously ill. I miss him already.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 05:13 PM
CB, Pelosi and the Democrats worked hard to steer funds to ordinary working people and to prevent giving Trump 500 billion dollars to dole out to his cronies. Perhaps you'll defend Lindsey Graham and that lone Republican holdout who were terrified that some poor soul in fly-over country might get $50 dollars a month more than he earned in his now non-existent job. The party of your choice has no clue how ordinary people live. Trump's great talent is that he understands how to make these people angry, and he knows how to make them scared, but he has no idea how to make them whole.
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 05:35 PM
CB, Pelosi and the Democrats worked hard to steer funds to ordinary working people and to prevent giving Trump 500 billion dollars to dole out to his cronies. Perhaps you'll defend Lindsey Graham and that lone Republican holdout who were terrified that some poor soul in fly-over country might get $50 dollars a month more than he earned in his now non-existent job. The party of your choice has no clue how ordinary people live. Trump's great talent is that he understands how to make these people angry, and he knows how to make them scared, but he has no idea how to make them whole.

Seriously Bill? That was a bi-partisan bill. Developed by both sides and an agreement to pass it was in place. Then Pelosi politicized it.

And as far as knowing how to make people angry goes.....how did Hillary and her deplorable comment go over.

You know Bill, if you acknowledged that both sides play politcal games, I'd agree with you. But you, time and again, pretend only the Left is honorable. Only the Left have peoples interests in mind. If Pelosi is so committed to looking after the little guy, why do so many little guys abhor her?

At least Trump made his money, whatever there is, BEFORE he got into politics. Take a good look at your buddies Pelosi and Biden and consider how they have been looking after their own pockets, never mind the pockets of billionaires. And while we are on that subject, how many California billionaires are lining up to support the Dems. Why is that do you suppose?

This is so easy.
Posted By: Tim in PA Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 06:04 PM
Democrats are concerned about ordinary people?

*increasing airline carbon emission standards
*same-day voter registration, early/mail voting, ballot harvesting provisions
*union bargaining provisions
*wind/solar tax credit expansions
*federal/corporate gender/racial diversity requirements
*extension of non-immigrant visas
*money for planned parenthood

that's some of the rubbish Pelosi tried inserting into the last stimulus package, how is that getting money to ordinary people?

or maybe you're talking about the $25 million for the Kennedy Center, so they could layoff the orchestra hours after receiving the money
Posted By: Tim in PA Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 06:17 PM
You want to talk about ordinary people Bill? I'm probably the most ordinary person on this board, my yearly income is less than some peoples yearly gun budget. And all I see is a democratic party that wants to take away rights, destroy the country economically, and beat everyone down into peasants so we can beg for crumbs from our progressive "betters", of course none of that will apply to them. You want to know why people support Trump? because, regardless of his faults, he's fighting them, but until you leave your bubble, you'll never understand it
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 06:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Tim in PA

that's some of the rubbish Pelosi tried inserting into the last stimulus package, how is that getting money to ordinary people?

or maybe you're talking about the $25 million for the Kennedy Center, so they could layoff the orchestra hours after receiving the money

Bill, all of those things are policy issues that have no place in a bipartisan economic rescue bill. That's what I mean about politicizing it. Fight for that stuff in the normal course of events....not during a crisis by trying to sneak it into a bill designed, on both sides of the aisle, to help with the fallout of the pandemic.
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 06:31 PM

Sorry Bill, I have to follow up.

How is increasing airline emission standards getting money to ordinary people?
How is same day voter registration etc getting money to ordinary people?
How is union bargaining provisions getting money to ordinary people?
How is wind/solar tax credit expansions getting money to ordinary people?
How is adjusting federal/corporate gender/racial diversity requirements getting money to ordinary people?
How is extending non-immigrant visas getting money to ordinary people?
How is getting more money to Planned Parenthood getting money to ordinary people?

None of what you listed is about replacing the income shortfall that ordinary people are suffering right now because of the economic shutdown due to coronavirus. NONE OF IT!
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 06:46 PM
....The party of your choice has no clue how ordinary people live. Trump's great talent is that he understands how to make these people angry, and he knows how to make them scared, but he has no idea how to make them whole.

A little bit ago, you said you took a stroll in the outdoors, sounds kind of ordinary to me. Will gender reassignment and then a free abortion when you claim you're a female make you a whole person? Inappropriate example? I have others, what's your pleasure?

I'd like to discuss what a whole person is, and how the gov. is responsible to provide it for someone.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 06:49 PM
CB, I have no hesitation admitting both parties play politics. I have no hesitation admitting both parties are responsible for our being woefully unprepared for the current crisis. If you want an outrage, take a peek at what Republicans wrote into the rescue bill. I favor Democrats, not because they have a franchise on integrity but because their basic tenets are focused on ordinary people, not the hyper wealthy. Both parties have failed us, but they're what we have to go forward with.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 07:00 PM
Tim, I follow conservative politics closely and pay attention to what Trump says and does. Whenever he gets something right, I'll give him a pass. Perhaps, as an ordinary person, you could mention some things Trump has done that benefit you directly. He may have your vote, but he does not have your back. His policies are consistently in favor of the class to which he aspires. He is a con man. Las Vegas is his natural environment. Casinos and fake colleges are his stock in trade. Still, if he's your man, welcome to him.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 07:13 PM
....as an ordinary person, you could mention some things Trump has done that benefit you directly. He may have your vote, but he does not have your back....

When he was campaigning, he produced a list that claimed he would use to select Supreme court nominees. Didn't he?

Try not to brush off pelosi's list of pork by equivocating. Real people and victims were put on hold for your politics, how did that have the back of ordinary people?
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 07:36 PM
Craig, Look again at who held this bill up and the reactions of members of his own party. How does Tim benefit from having Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court? Look, politicians make deals. It's how anything gets done. If you happen to like the deal, then it's OK. All the stuff Pelosi did, aside from the airline item, benefits people I identify with. I'm not rich. Check out the provision for realtors.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 08:00 PM
....How does Tim benefit from having Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court?....

You fully understand I don't know Tim, right?

I think 'he' benefits in at least two specific ways. First, way back during the Saddleback townhall when barak was campaigning, he said he would appoint justices that would legislate from the bench to benefit the single minority biological female that happen to have offspring, right? Explain how that helps someone that, I'm going to assume, legitimately identifies with the traditional concept of being a 'Tim'?

Secondly, prior to Justice Kavanaugh, no one alive except your President believed that it was possible to defeat a full on borking. All Americans of any stripe benefit from the glimmer of hope that a smear campaign is not binding law according to progressives, right?

Of course your religion of the left benefits people, only it's just a handful in the most hypocritical way, eh bill?
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 08:14 PM
Another word salad (tossed). Alas. Conservatism suffers from a lack of clear language, at least since the demise of William F. Buckley. His command of English was commendable; the only problem was that none of his ideas were post middle ages. Craig, you may disagree with me, and that's OK, but at least you know what I'm saying that you don't buy. Look, this isn't the best time to fight over political philosophy. Why don't we call a truce 'til it looks a little better for our having a future to disagree about?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 08:30 PM
As a leftist public school teacher, one who no doubt took great pride in preparing US school children to consistently test at a level between their peers in the countries of Bangladesh and Albania, at a cost above and beyond what the rest of the world spends per pupil, I submit you are in no way prepared to see the nuance and irony in a Craig post. Your tear stained comfort pony awaits you.

Well done, Craig.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 08:48 PM
Another word salad (tossed). Alas. Conservatism suffers from a lack of clear language, at least since the demise of William F. Buckley. His command of English was commendable; the only problem was that none of his ideas were post middle ages. Craig, you may disagree with me, and that's OK, but at least you know what I'm saying that you don't buy. Look, this isn't the best time to fight over political philosophy. Why don't we call a truce 'til it looks a little better for our having a future to disagree about?

Bill, this is a bit disappointing to me, but I quoted the your whole thought because I can see the humor in it too. I can say with a hundred percent certainty, I am not at war with you, we've never met right? What I am pretty certatin about is that emotion and repetition is not policy, and that I chose to respond to the ideology and tone that you portrait, not you personally.

It's also a bit disappointing that you seem to be moping around that the sky is falling. Just change your mind and be determined that the future is bright, and don't peddle in misery. Where have you heard things like that before?

Now for the funny part, who's having a little identity crisis? Party aside, can't all of humanity get a little laugh out of watching ten random minutes of joe? The last time his keepers gave him a little slack, he coughed into his hand right in the direction of some gal. You gotta admit, since he doesn't stumble around in reality, it's a complete knee slapper, eh? Anyway, I think you'll be glad to know, I buried myself to the axles in some of your gumbo yesterday. My misery is your laugh for the day?
Posted By: Tim in PA Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 08:49 PM
Bill, lets look instead at what democrats will do to benefit me

*pack the courts with progressives that will interpret the constitution to mean whatever they want it to mean - translation - nothing, and Pelosi will be free to shred it like the state of the union speech, and the bill of rights will become the bill of whatever democrats think you can have
*open the borders to anyone that wants in, overloading all government systems and creating chaos
*enact their climate/greendeal policies, effectively destroying this country economically

there's more, but I think the small list above is plenty

So, as far as Trump goes, if all he does is block democrats from enacting their wishlist and appoint justices that will uphold the constitution, he has my gratitude and support

As far as him being devisive and tearing this country apart, Obama started all that, Trump is just fighting for the other side, maybe its time for the democrats to try getting along
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 09:12 PM
Ted, your seeing eye dog will be available soon. Thanks to the Democrats, it won't cost you anything. Please treat it well; it's not the dog's fault it came to you from the socialist party.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 10:18 PM
Tim, you really need to open your eyes. Try looking at other news/opinion sources. You've swallowed a bill of goods, but you don't sound stupid. Look around. PS: As a working class guy, what is your objection to unions? In my career, unions saved my life. They enabled me to have health insurance that kept me from a choice between dying or being destitute.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 10:42 PM
....unions saved my life. They enabled me to have health insurance that kept me from a choice between dying or being destitute.

Whoa, truce? 24/7 victimhood on the drama channel? I can see it now, can I dig in your trash for some scraps of food and a mahogany best maker percussion rifle case? No! Go away, I don't like your sort unless you can fill a bus full of buddies that'll same day voter register in exchange for a pack of keto tofu jerky, eh?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/30/20 10:49 PM
Ted, your seeing eye dog will be available soon. Thanks to the Democrats, it won't cost you anything. Please treat it well; it's not the dog's fault it came to you from the socialist party.

You are on a gun board, Bill-I have a smelling nose dog, that I bought, who would bite a Democrat that tried to get some of her food to redistribute.

I love and emulate that part of dogs. Watch your fingers.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Tim in PA Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 01:01 AM
Bill, I didn't swallow anything, in fact, I leaned democrat until my late twenties, a misfortune from growing up in Pittsburgh. Two union jobs opened my eyes to what they are all about. When Howard Metzenbaum and the democrats started pushing gun control, I began looking at the democratic party a lot more critically.

I don't watch TV, if I listen to the radio, I listen to WSM online, I get all my news online. Breitbart, The Stream, American Thinker, Lifezette, American Conservative, The Hill, The Week, Guardian, Real Clear Politics, and some Christian websites. I get the news from both sides, yes, there's bias on the conservative side, but the liberal side is at best biased. At their worst, they're flat out liars, most of the time though, their biggest fault is leaving out any and all information that doesn't advance their agenda.

You remind me of my late mother, she would watch CNN and complain about republicans. I would show her the other side of the story, or things she never heard about, and it changed her thinking, but she would never admit it, all I ever got out of her was "they're all no good", she didn't want to believe it. Sorry, but I know better than to buy what democrats are selling.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 02:29 AM
Bill, I didn't swallow anything, in fact, I leaned democrat until my late twenties, a misfortune from growing up in Pittsburgh. Two union jobs opened my eyes to what they are all about. When Howard Metzenbaum and the democrats started pushing gun control, I began looking at the democratic party a lot more critically.

I don't watch TV, if I listen to the radio, I listen to WSM online, I get all my news online. Breitbart, The Stream, American Thinker, Lifezette, American Conservative, The Hill, The Week, Guardian, Real Clear Politics, and some Christian websites. I get the news from both sides, yes, there's bias on the conservative side, but the liberal side is at best biased. At their worst, they're flat out liars, most of the time though, their biggest fault is leaving out any and all information that doesn't advance their agenda.

You remind me of my late mother, she would watch CNN and complain about republicans. I would show her the other side of the story, or things she never heard about, and it changed her thinking, but she would never admit it, all I ever got out of her was "they're all no good", she didn't want to believe it. Sorry, but I know better than to buy what democrats are selling.

Bill, Tim's life experiences have shown him that your bias is very wrong. Move along to the next possible "fish". Tim isn't it.

SRH
Posted By: keith Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 04:36 AM
The party of your choice has no clue how ordinary people live. Trump's great talent is that he understands how to make these people angry, and he knows how to make them scared, but he has no idea how to make them whole.

Really nice of Billy to keep coming back to show us that he is a brainless Liberal Left Democrat Sock Puppet. Does anyone notice that he never mentions that multiple terms of office held by Democrat Presidents and Democrat Congressional majorities have failed to deliver these millions of poor wretched souls from misery and poverty? Trillions have been spent on taxpayer subsidized housing, food assistance, education, and Democrat Sheep like Billy keep believing the bullshit.

Tom in PA's experience, starting life as a registered Democrat, kind of mirrors my own. Like Tom, I didn't take long to notice that the Democrats promises were empty. I quickly noticed that the Democrats did not want me to keep my 2nd Amendment Rights. I saw that they no longer represented the interests of working men, but instead used my earnings to court the non-working and illegals.

What's more, I worked several Union jobs, but understood that the Union never paid me a dime or gave me my health insurance. That money came from corporate profits, and when profit didn't happen, no Union Contract was going to save us. When push came to shove, I saw how my wonderful Union reps and leadership screwed our eyes out, and helped only themselves as our jobs went to low wage countries under insane Foreign Trade Agreements.

Donald Trump has reversed a lot of that damage, and created a climate where the working man could make a living without being a government dependant. Obama created a record number of Welfare and Food Stamp recipients, while Trump was creating taxpayers. After 40 years of getting hammered, we were coming back very strong, until this coronavirus pandemic hit. When we come out of this, I want to see Corporations and employers alive and well, because I am not a brainless idiot like Billy, who thinks that wealth and prosperity come from a printing press and from more empty Democrat promises.
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 04:40 AM
Tim, you really need to open your eyes. Try looking at other news/opinion sources. You've swallowed a bill of goods, but you don't sound stupid. Look around. PS: As a working class guy, what is your objection to unions? In my career, unions saved my life. They enabled me to have health insurance that kept me from a choice between dying or being destitute.

This is rich, Bill.

Wasn’t it just a couple weeks ago you declared you got all your news from essentially only PBS? Along with just enough Fox to know they were liars?

All you do when you post here is prove our confirmation bias...That leftists like yourself will say anything, use any tragedy, slander any person as long as you believe it to be advancing your agenda.

You’d make more progress if you never posted another line of type.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 12:57 PM
It's looking more and more like we're going to have to cancel the fall election and just keep Donald Trump as president....

And least something good is coming from the Chinese virus leak.
Posted By: ed good Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 01:20 PM
watt jOe said...

lets here hit fur king donald iv?

an has der eva bin ah king donald? any time, any wares, cept fur long ago in scotland and of course in shakespeare's creative imagination?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donalbain_(Macbeth)
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 04:41 PM
CB, You misunderstand my motive. All I want is to remind folks here that theirs is not the whole truth. Neither is mine, but we all need to to make a constant effort to get at the facts, especially in a crisis of this magnitude. Our understanding of our circumstances is at the mercy of interests we have no control of. We're on our own to find the sanest way forward that we can.
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 05:13 PM
CB, You misunderstand my motive. All I want is to remind folks here that theirs is not the whole truth. Neither is mine, but we all need to to make a constant effort to get at the facts, especially in a crisis of this magnitude. Our understanding of our circumstances is at the mercy of interests we have no control of. We're on our own to find the sanest way forward that we can.

Well that all sounds good Bill, but your content and tone is no different now than it ever was.

Orange Man bad. Democrats are the only ones who care about the little guy.

It's a load of bunk. You are as extreme in your biases as ANYONE here. Certainly much more than I am. And you would do a better job of "reminding" people there are other view points if you could actually explain why the viewpoints you espouse are beneficial. But you either can't or don't. When challenged to explain, you ignore, you switch subjects, you pretend you weren't asked. Much like the post I just quoted. You still haven't responded to my question about how the items on that list you posted were meant to help those who are specifically suffering from the Covid19 pandemic caused economic melt down.

I'll answer for you. As I mentioned earlier they aren't. They are pure pork, advancing Democratic policy. And it was a perfect example of Nancy Pelosi playing politics in the face of the greatest economic crisis in all of our lives.

But go ahead....you try. Explain to me the other perspective. The one where there may be some other reason for her actions or why those items were necessary in the economic rescue bill.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 05:39 PM
....We're on our own to find the sanest way forward that we can.

This would only sound reasonable, along with the other stuff I snipped off, if you had any consistency, right bill?

Aren’t you the fellow that said pelosi is obligated to push noncovid pork in a covid bailout? Aren’t you the fellow that says the nanny state has to care for every little aspect of our lives because we can’t be trusted to know what’s good for ourselves? Why doesn’t your revised kinder gentler philosophy apply to the AR rifle platform?

Don’t you think it would be a bit more honest to keep the divide up? Your next response could very well be about someone you hate, right? Let’s say you convince us all to vote for ole joe, do you yourself have any clue what he stands for or what he might stand for tomorrow?
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 06:18 PM
Craig, I DID NOT say obligated. Each party throws in pork to get the other on board.Take a look at yours. You continue to put words in my mouth. Until you can focus on what I explicitly say, you really ought to have the integrity to shut up. I can'
t do anything about the divide except to lament it. What strikes you as inconsistency is that I change my mind as reality shifts. What might have made sense yesterday can be pure bullshit today. From day to day I try to learn things, and when i do, I'm willing to shift gears. None of us has a clue now what happens next. Soldier on.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 06:20 PM
Maybe this will help? smile

An update on Covid-19 courtesy of John Cleese

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent virus threat and have therefore raised their security level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.” The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.” The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let’s get the Bastards.” They don’t have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France ‘s white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country’s military capability.
Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” Two more levels remain: “Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels: “Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from “No worries” to “She’ll be alright, Mate.” Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we’ll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.” So far no situation has ever warranted use of the last final escalation level.

A final thought – ”Greece is collapsing, the Iranians are getting aggressive, and Rome is in disarray. Welcome back to 430 BC!
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 06:33 PM
Well done Drew, I really enjoyed that!
Karl
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 06:39 PM
....You continue to put words in my mouth. Until you can focus on what I explicitly say, you really ought to have the integrity to shut up. I can'
t do anything about the divide except to lament it....

Yabut Bill, don’t you expect me to live under the reality of the consequences of how you claim to vote, not if you get mad at me? I don’t lament the divide, if you use it, wouldn’t it be foolish for me to ignore that?

If you don’t want to own it, then I don’t think you should attempt to unsay and undo what those you vote for and those you champion are doing to the nation and the worth of the individual.

Edit to add, hey bill, Doc Drew’s post was funny, wasn’t it?
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 07:19 PM

Great piece Drew, I needed a good chuckle.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 07:22 PM
Drew's post is good for all. As for having to live under the results of the election; it's called democracy. I'm currently enduring it.If it's your turn next, I hope you'll survive. I'm concerned a good deal more right now about what Covid-19 is doing to the nation than any possible political development.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 07:51 PM
Drew's post is good for all....

....I'm concerned a good deal more right now about what Covid-19 is doing to the nation than any possible political development.

Just yesterday, I’d have thought President Trump himself rolled granny off of a cliff in her wheel chair. Remember back when Armstrong was still a national hero? The French nearly dq’d him when he turned up positive for traces of soap, aftershave and cologne. Don’t worry, pelosi has your back.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 07:58 PM
Craig, I take that for the best. Thanks.
Posted By: King Brown Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 08:22 PM
Everyone here knows politicization of a pandemic is a war within, no help to healthcare workers, causing unwarranted deaths. To cease and desist forthwith is a public service.
Posted By: ed good Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 08:26 PM
jOe, it appears that we are being ignored...
Posted By: ed good Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 08:28 PM
re doc drew's post:

an the irish say to the brits...

will ya finally go home now...an take yer damn virus wid ya...
Posted By: nca225 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 09:26 PM
Originally Posted By: ed good
jOe, it appears that we are being ignored...

Well Ed, you seem to know your history, so I just hope the coup works out for you guys. As a matter if fact, you should really make sure the coup works and does not fail, as history will tell you, perpetrators of a failed coup never fare too well, and with your internet business and paper trail you have left as a result of your hobby gun dealing, the authorities will know where to find you.

Cheers and for your sake, plan carefully....
Posted By: Colonial Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 10:23 PM
The political King of the North wants to deprive us of our entertainment! Come now, King, you dislike a liberal being ridiculed??
Posted By: ed good Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 11:42 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCej7-kJJP8
Posted By: RyanF Re: OT: Lockdown! - 03/31/20 11:49 PM
Another month or two of lockdown and I'll have my home and shop organized. Working from home but, also making stuff to pass the time. This will be a stand for a bench vise. Any comments or advice before painting?

[img:center][/img]
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 12:24 AM
Fill the column with spent shot, to make it dead blow. A 1” pipe thread with a plug will allow access from the top.
I wouldn’t be afraid to pour a half quart of oil over the shot when it is in place.
Nicely fabricated.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 12:30 AM
I hope your floor is up to the job. smile
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 12:32 AM
Nicely made. If only I was spending my time time so constructively. My wife just mentioned a chilling thought. As vulnerable as all this makes some of us feel, imagine how it would be if Trump wasn't running things right now? Would the compliance be anywhere near as complete by almost 330 million people?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 01:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Nicely made. If only I was spending my time time so constructively. My wife just mentioned a chilling thought. As vulnerable as all this makes some of us feel, imagine how it would be if Trump wasn't running things right now? Would the compliance be anywhere near as complete by almost 330 million people?

It would be much better and it would have been faster too, which might have saved a lot of people some grief.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 01:54 AM
I noticed that Joe Biden, Chuck Schumer, and Nancy Pelosi all thought that PDT was being racist and xenophobic when he first implemented the travel ban with China. Mr Trump’s first covid19 summit was happening as Nancy was handing out Trump impeachment pens. Less than three weeks after the travel ban, all three Democrats said the ban hadn’t happened soon enough. According to the WHO, no country was prepared for this, but, the US was by far the best prepared when the whole picture was looked at. Minnesota has had 10 deaths, and nearly all were people who were seriously compromised.

On what do you base your opinion, Brent? Simply looking at how the Obama administration handled the H1N1 pandemic would not lead one to assume better results on that side of the fence.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: nca225 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 01:54 AM
Be careful Lloyd. Stop and take a breath when guzzling the cool aid. Nobody wants to see you drown yourself.

And if Obama were still president we would not nearly be anywhere near this shitty position, that we are now. Individual states would not be vying against each other for critical medical supplies as there would be national distribution controlled by an effective government, all over the dumbass objections of non science believing republicans.

People would get free covid 19 tests over the dumb ass objections to free handouts by republicans, so that the country could actually track the outbreak and tailor regionally specific approaches to the outbreak as opposed to blindly dumbfucking our way through as we are now.

And what’s more, you welfare queens would not be getting your government checks. No need for it as the above precautions as well as others that would be taken would have resulted in America getting an early upper hand on this and thereby keeping the economy strong, just like he did in 2008, all over the chorus of confirmation bias shown by republicans 24/7, biting the hand that saved their worthless asses

No Drama Obama over the Chump each and every time.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 01:57 AM
A friend over on the AHFCA site posted this today. I thought it worth repeating in this time of self denial and great concern for others.

By Mike K. .......

"We are more than a week into self-isolation and it's really upsetting me to witness my wife standing at the living room window gazing aimlessly into space, with tears running down her cheeks.
It breaks my heart to see her like this, and I've thought very hard of how I can cheer her up.
I've even considered letting her come in, but rules are rules."

SRH
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 01:59 AM
I think what Brent and nca are trying to say is that dems would've only spent half the time on racism, and gotten right down to the business of turning a crisis into an opportunity.
Posted By: nca225 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 02:03 AM
Ted, your great leader’s new, rosey estimate is 100,000 to 200,000 deaths and he thinks that’s a great job.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/m...a-very-good-job

And no, that would not be a good job, but an appallingly poor one.

Gee Ted, whatever happened to less then 5 people being infected and i5 miraculously going away by tomorrow?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/02/donald-trump-coronavirus-warm-weather
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 02:05 AM
Originally Posted By: nca225
....blindly dumbfucking....

Careful Brent, don't let your buddy near your leg and tell you he's practicing her braille.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 02:06 AM
I’m OK with not getting a check, as long as the Kennedy Center for the Arts doesn’t get one, either. I seem to recall that Public Broadcasting made out like bandits, too.
Not sure why. Did the pandemic start in either of those two organizations?

Best,
Ted
Posted By: nca225 Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 02:09 AM
Originally Posted By: craigd
I think what Brent and nca are trying to say is that dems would've only spent half the time on racism, and gotten right down to the business of turning a crisis into an opportunity.

Well thrifty, when confronted by a difficult, probing question, at least Obama would give an answer as opposed to denying what they are on video saying, and then personally attacking the African American female journalist who asked it.

Hey look at the upside, if you get it, I hear there is a terrible cough that comes. Perhaps a good opportunity for you to get all that ball hair out that is scratching your lungs.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 02:46 AM
Originally Posted By: nca225
....Hey look at the upside, if you get it, I hear there is a terrible cough that comes....

Yup, I've heard that too. Actually, my plan is to go on cnn, demonstrate how to cough, and then reassure you that you're the little engine that could. I guess mostly because they don't have many other viewers, eh?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 02:56 AM
I guess there's no chance left for any humor here. Bye.

SRH
Posted By: ed good Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 03:06 AM
ah taught hit were funny...sorta...

ah mean, hit wooda ben more funny an more reel, ifn hit were duh woman who were contenplatin lettin duh man back into duh hause, stead o duh udder way roun...don ya no...

man wooda neva be dat mean...ware as, we awl nos how mean ah woman can be win she mad...
Posted By: keith Re: OT: Lockdown! - 04/01/20 04:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan

By Mike K. .......

"We are more than a week into self-isolation and it's really upsetting me to witness my wife standing at the living room window gazing aimlessly into space, with tears running down her cheeks.
It breaks my heart to see her like this, and I've thought very hard of how I can cheer her up.
I've even considered letting her come in, but rules are rules."

SRH

I got a really good laugh out of that one Stan...

... But you have to admit that it wasn't near as funny as seeing Nancy-boy nca225 claiming that we would be vastly better off with Obama in the White House. These Libtards are ashamed and afraid to go near the fact that Obama and his team was permitting patients who were sick wth Ebola to return to the United States.

Watching rocky mtn bill run away from his bullshit, and pivot to pretending he's just another concerned American with reasonable opinions is a real knee-slapper too! Isn't it funny watching him dancing away from canvasback's repeated questions, and also running from the same observation about Obama endangering the whole nation with one of the most deadly diseases known to man? But that dancing away from tough questions is a common trait found in all of our Libtards. And that takes us back to my repeated observation about the futility of trying to debate a dishonest person.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com