doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Dan S. W. Leather Dye Color Question - 04/04/20 03:59 PM
Does anyone know if these straps are oxblood or cordovan?

Ebay Leather Straps

I want to dye some tan accent leather on a canvas case to match and I don't know what color to order.
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Leather Dye Color Question - 04/04/20 06:54 PM
Never mind - found a good match in light brown:

Angelus color swatches
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Leather Dye Color Question - 04/20/20 02:33 AM
Just in case anyone was wondering, I was attempting to re-dye some trim pieces on the mismatched canvas case that came with my gun to match some newly purchased leather straps. The pictures show pretty much all of the steps. The results, although far from perfect, were much better than expected.

I followed the steps in an "instructable" on leather dyeing (not authored by me): Leather Dyeing

I just used the finish stripper and dye from Angelus, Johnston & Murphy shoe leather conditioner from the back of the closet, and some Minwax furniture wax I found in my tool chest. Total investment in project about $10.

Problem:

Solution:

Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Leather Dye Color Question - 04/20/20 06:58 AM
FYI, cordovan is actually a type of equine leather, not a color. While the burnt cherry (#8) is the most common color, there are other colors offered.

https://ashlandleather.com/blogs/inside-ashland/what-is-cordovan
Posted By: canvasback Re: Leather Dye Color Question - 04/20/20 12:50 PM
Great job and Rob, that was a very interesting link. Thanks.
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Leather Dye Color Question - 04/20/20 05:23 PM
Thanks, CB. Agreed on Rob's link. Now I want a cordovan shell leather wallet as well.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Leather Dye Color Question - 04/20/20 05:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Dan S. W.
Thanks, CB. Agreed on Rob's link. Now I want a cordovan shell leather wallet as well.

LOL, My thinking as well.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com