doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RARiddell Prince of Wales grip, what is it? - 04/26/20 12:11 PM
I’ve noticed there are many descriptions for this grip style, few seem to be correct. Would this be a Price of Wales, or half pistol, or knob? Any clarification would be great! Or is this one of those things that are subjective to who ever has the gun?

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Prince of Wales grip, what is it? - 04/26/20 12:44 PM
That is what I consider a half pistol grip, but barely. Keep in mind that there are variations on anything other than a straight grip. All others will have varying degrees of curvature, but can generally be classed in these categories shown by Hallowell.

http://www.hallowellco.com/grip.htm

Best, SRH
Posted By: keith Re: Prince of Wales grip, what is it? - 04/26/20 12:51 PM
It seems that the terms Prince of Wales grip, half pistol grip, and semi-pistol grip are pretty much interchangeable. I don't believe that guns with true Prince of Wales grips are ever capped, but there are some half pistol grip guns which have a rounded cap that follows the same shape as an uncapped half pistol grip. I don't see the term knob grip used very often, and it seems to be used more to describe grips which are more bulbous.
Posted By: Chrisfishinmt Re: Prince of Wales grip, what is it? - 04/26/20 01:47 PM
Prince of Wales grips were a hallmark of Woodward guns....they made more than any other makers, and yes in MOST cases they were capped
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Prince of Wales grip, what is it? - 04/26/20 01:51 PM
OP is a semi pistol grip.

POWales have a flat bottom to them ,as others have said more in the Woodward fashion.

Knobs belong on doors and radios!
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: Prince of Wales grip, what is it? - 04/26/20 02:31 PM
RAR:
the work seems to be progressing nicely on the hollis gun. my hollis gun has a very similar half pistol profile with an extremely slim wrist, and fine flat top checkering. no church windows on mine, but the checkering patterns end, not in conventional points, but with simple curved borders - never seen such before these guns.

on your gun, my greatest concern was for the barrels, on one side (can't recall which) there was an area of pitting at 12:00 just behind the sleeving joint. photos weren't very good, but it looked as though it might be fairly deep - and right over the forcing cone in that tube. i, for one, am certainly interested in how your project turns out.

best regards,
tom
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Prince of Wales grip, what is it? - 04/26/20 03:23 PM
We had this same, or very similar discussion on the PGCA Forum a few months ago and this is what I discovered and posted to that thread...

"Okay...I took my "Call a Friend" option and just got off the phone with David Trevallion.

David told me that only one gunmaker in England ever made a gun with the Prince of Wales grip and that was Churchill who made guns for King Edward, the Prince of Wales and it was then onward referred to as the "Prince of Wales"grip. He said that even Purdey's never made such a thing but that Tom Purdey had a very specific grip preference and his favored grip was forever after known as the "Tommy Grip".

He said that even McIntosh used to talk about POW grips on Foxes and other guns and David said that "that was all rubbish. Fox nor any other gun company ever made a Prince of Wales grip."

I asked him what was the difference in shape or contour of the POW grip and he said it was a more gradual shallower curve and didn't have a ball or swell to it.
I showed him the above two pictures (only visible on the PGCA thread) and he said they were close to what a POW grip would have looked like."
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: Prince of Wales grip, what is it? - 04/26/20 05:11 PM
Take a look at the Westley Richards website. By that description, that’s what they make. Maybe
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Prince of Wales grip, what is it? - 04/26/20 06:09 PM
I've seen round knobs described as "Prince of Wales". The French in particular made quite a few guns with a round knob that was scarcely a knob at all. Here's an example:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...=101399370#lg-2
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Prince of Wales grip, what is it? - 04/26/20 06:24 PM
Originally Posted By: graybeardtmm3
RAR:
the work seems to be progressing nicely on the hollis gun. my hollis gun has a very similar half pistol profile with an extremely slim wrist, and fine flat top checkering. no church windows on mine, but the checkering patterns end, not in conventional points, but with simple curved borders - never seen such before these guns.

on your gun, my greatest concern was for the barrels, on one side (can't recall which) there was an area of pitting at 12:00 just behind the sleeving joint. photos weren't very good, but it looked as though it might be fairly deep - and right over the forcing cone in that tube. i, for one, am certainly interested in how your project turns out.

best regards,
tom

I didn’t think they were that deep maybe borderline in the pic, in reality it’s a lot shallower not as deep, unfortunately there is some pitting under the forend that I was more concerned with, I sent the barrels out to be checked and should know shortly. Although I did take a chance and put about a dozen rounds through it (YIKES! ) The stock is still a ways off, no more oil, I think it was coated with something prior to transport here to the states as it cleaned up was really easy virtually no oil in the in letting. It’s a nice dark walnut with light figure! The gun was definitely neglected, two screws had to be replaced due to rust and corrosion, I plan to do a little write up in the DIY section on its restoration, cool thing the inside of the action is stamped S. Mills! I love the engravings of the dogs, real reason for buying, the work and skill to do that is amazing, you can see fur and the shadows for definition is really cool. More to come!
Posted By: Franc Otte Re: Prince of Wales grip, what is it? - 04/26/20 07:08 PM
I Have heard of a Bag Grip,(sounds painful), which seemed kind of similar to a prints of whales smile...anyone hear of same?
cheers
Franc
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Prince of Wales grip, what is it? - 04/26/20 08:11 PM
Franc,
Yes I have, and assumed it was similar to a round knob type as the Browning one.
Karl
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Prince of Wales grip, what is it? - 04/27/20 01:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Franc Otte
I Have heard of a Bag Grip,(sounds painful), which seemed kind of similar to a prints of whales smile...anyone hear of same?
cheers
Franc

Yes but not by that term. The early original "ball grip" on Parker Bros. shotguns very closely resembles a scrotum.... so I guess a "bag grip" would be the same thing.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com