doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: rwmckee Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 04:50 PM
For those who haven’t heard, Miller Fulks (2piper) passed away the 23rd.

Roger
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 05:00 PM
Damn. He will be missed. Another poster who knew and shared a lot of information with everyone. Prayers to his family. Very sad to hear.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 05:02 PM
So sorry to hear that. I've had him on my mind a lot since he informed us of the reappearance of his cancer. RIP, 2-piper. You are sorely missed, but I know you wouldn't come back even if you could.

Thanks for the update.

SRH
Posted By: craigd Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 05:11 PM
Farewell Miller, prayers for your friends and family. What a role model.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 05:16 PM
Well that is some sad news. RIP Miller.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 05:44 PM
That is sad news, indeed.
Posted By: builder Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 05:55 PM
So sorry to hear that. He surely will be missed. Rest in peace Miller.

Milt
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 05:57 PM
So sad to hear that.
He taught me so many things.
I hope it's all he hoped it would be.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 06:09 PM
Mr. Fulks will be missed. One of our best...Geo
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 06:13 PM
My condolences to his family and friends, including those of us here, he will be missed.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 06:46 PM
Saddened to hear this news!
Posted By: Tim Carney Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 06:49 PM
Condolences to family and friends.

With deep sympathy,
Tim
Posted By: ed good Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 08:13 PM
his knowledge and style are missed already...hopefully, he is now in a better place...
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 08:24 PM
I will miss the good advice, always solid and well intentioned.
Mike
Posted By: LGF Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 08:40 PM
We will miss 2-piper and his well of knowledge. Condolences to his family and friends.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 09:28 PM
Godspeed, Miller.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 09:31 PM
His posts were always informative, to the point, and kind- spririted even when he was correcting some misinformed poster. We need more of his kind, not less. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.
Posted By: SKB Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 10:05 PM
I am very sorry to here that, Miller was very knowledgeable and freely shared information with the members here. He will be missed.
Posted By: DrBob Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 10:21 PM
I know I speak for all of the LeFever Arms Collectors Association members in saying that Miller’s contributions to our newsletter will be missed. He was always anxious to share his knowledge.
Posted By: King Brown Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 10:27 PM
Always true to his values. Too few around. Makes me more angry than saddened we no longer have his example of a generous and truly educated man.
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 10:31 PM
So sorry to hear!
Posted By: Birdog Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 10:32 PM
Miller was a fount of double gun knowledge always given without hesitation.
An original.
His presence will be missed.

May he rest in peace.
Condolences to his family.
Tim
Posted By: rwmckee Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 11:25 PM
It was a genuine pleasure to have worked with him for 10 years and known him for 30, although after my stepson left TN we seldom go back and I didn't see him much this century and none the last decade. I relied on his machinist experience a lot as well, both professionally and in firearms. I learned that a lot of what are called gunsmiths are nothing but screw turners who can wreck a gun in short order. A good machinist can be a good gunsmith easily. Miller was both.

What Miller knew, he really knew from experience and was never just parroting something he'd read on the web. I've been trying to remember if ever anything came up about firearms, particularly shotguns, when he said "well, I didn't know that" or "I guess i was wrong about that." I'm sure it happened at some point but it'd have been something so arcane few people would've cared anyway.
Posted By: keith Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 11:28 PM
This is very sad news. I was getting concerned about a lack of posts from Miller the last couple weeks. He will be missed very much. His double gun and machinist knowledge was extensive, and he was always willing to share it with us. Much of what I know about Syracuse Lefevers came from Miller's sharing of his extensive interest and knowledge about his favorite shotgun maker. Miller also cared deeply about our 2nd Amendment Rights, and was uncompromising when there was any discussion about infringements upon those rights.

One thing that frequently came through in his posts was his personal relationship and deep respect for God. I pray that he will now find eternal rest and peace with the Lord, and that he will have the finest $1000 Grade Lefever in Heaven. My sincere condolences to his family.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 11:44 PM
Very sad to hear this. He provided a lot of information and never went down rabbit holes. He will be sorely missed.

Ken
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 11:47 PM
"The Best of Miller" would make a pretty good book.

We will all miss him.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 11:53 PM
A great way to honor Miller would be to make a donation to this site in his remembrance, and memory. I think he really enjoyed this place. JMO.

SRH
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/26/20 11:58 PM
Very sorry to hear of this. Miller was a good guy.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 12:00 AM
So sorry to hear of his passing, his knowledge will surely be missed. I looked forward to reading most of his posts.
Condolences to the family.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 12:03 AM
I'm sorry to hear of his passing, and knew he was ill for some time. I learned much from his posts from his machinist point of view, and will think of him and his family in my prayers.
Stan has it correct as a way to honor him, which he certainly deserved from his shared knowledge.
May you have plenty of birds my friend,
Karl
Posted By: rwmckee Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 12:11 AM
Actually, his obituary mentioned that donations be made to something there in Lynchburg but i forget what it was. His obit is easy to find, Lynchburg, Maurice Miller Fulks. I never even knew his first name was Maurice.

Roger
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 12:12 AM
I was having a fairly good day until I read this. He went more quickly than what I had hoped for. I pray that it was merciful and that his family is at peace with it. Another good man gone.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 12:53 AM
He was one of the good guys. I will miss him.
Posted By: Lorne Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 01:20 AM
It's all been said. But, many of us will miss him dearly.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 01:58 AM
Miller was a true gentleman, an extremely knowledgeable metallurgist and always a pleasure to talk to. I learned from him, both about shotguns and life. I'm sure Jesus will take care of him. He was a very fine man of the old school. RIP Miller.
Posted By: Ian Nixon Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 03:31 AM
We are lessened.
I've looked forward to Miller's quality commentary for a long time now. I learned a lot about the gent just by the way he passed on information on this BBS. Sad to see him finally down tools, but in the end, we are all just temps on the goode Lord's planet Earth.
If there is any justice, there's a quality lathe, mill, and friends awaiting him in the grand machine shop in the sky.
Condolences and repect to those he left behind.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 03:59 AM
Sad day...not many genuine people left on here.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 04:33 AM

https://youtu.be/fZhn0Aso9io
Posted By: montenegrin Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 05:37 AM
Very sorry to hear that. I was reading his contributions with utmost attentiom.

Jani
Posted By: BillK Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 06:27 AM
Very sad to hear the news. RIP and condolences to his family.
Posted By: Gregdownunder Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 08:04 AM
Sad indeed.
I've always read his posts with interest, for the best part of the last 20 years.
It just wont be the same.
RIP Miller.

GDU.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 01:20 PM
I am thankful that everything he shared will still live here for everyone to learn from. Rest in Peace
Posted By: eightbore Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 01:29 PM
So long, Miller. See you soon.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 03:42 PM
He was a gentleman. Bobby
Posted By: nca225 Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 06:29 PM
He was indeed well liked by the membership.

Originally Posted By: 2piper

Fact;
Quote:
1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

In the context of this quote the apostle, John was referring to God's law, not man's.

Fact;
There is not one single verse in God's Word (The Bible) which declares owning a slave to be a Sin.

Fact;
Until the 13th Amendment was ratified on Dec 6, 1865, it was not a transgression of the laws of the USA to own a slave.

Fact;
Prior to Dec 6, 1895 owning a slave could not justly be called Sinful.

1; The War was not fought over slavery, Lincoln himself said so, & you know they called him "Honest Abe". So yes the war would have been fought anyway.

2; Define Sin?

3: Who said Slavery was Sinful?
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 06:47 PM
Lowest post I've seen to date. And that is saying something. Truly ban-worthy.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 07:21 PM
Originally Posted By: nca225
He was indeed well liked by the membership.

Fact;
Quote:
1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

In the context of this quote the apostle, John was referring to God's law, not man's.

Fact;
There is not one single verse in God's Word (The Bible) which declares owning a slave to be a Sin.

Fact;
Until the 13th Amendment was ratified on Dec 6, 1865, it was not a transgression of the laws of the USA to own a slave.

Fact;
Prior to Dec 6, 1895 owning a slave could not justly be called Sinful.

1; The War was not fought over slavery, Lincoln himself said so, & you know they called him "Honest Abe". So yes the war would have been fought anyway.

2; Define Sin?

3: Who said Slavery was Sinful?

Despicable vitriol from nca225. You should be more than ashamed given the situation and that the man cannot defend those statements or even in what context those statements were made. IMHO, keith is right about you, nca225. You really are a nasty little worm.
Posted By: nca225 Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 07:39 PM
Well Buzz, why don't we just take a closer look at my post. I made one statement. Miller was indeed well liked by the membership. That's true and complimentary is it not? Just look at all the posts in this thread indicating he will be well missed.

Then I posted his own words, without any comment. Would you kindly point out the vitriol?

Not sure what you find offensive about what Miller wrote, and I can't seem to find any vitriol that I wrote, of which to be ashamed of.

So why the attack?
Posted By: GLS Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 08:41 PM
Sorry to hear of his passing. He was a genius at what he did and knew gained from hands on experience. Gil
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/27/20 09:01 PM
Well Buzz, why don't we just take a closer look at my post. I made one statement. Miller was indeed well liked by the membership. That's true and complimentary is it not? Just look at all the posts in this thread indicating he will be well missed.

Then I posted his own words, without any comment. Would you kindly point out the vitriol?

Not sure what you find offensive about what Miller wrote, and I can't seem to find any vitriol that I wrote, of which to be ashamed of.

So why the attack?

Probably because you have posted a dead man’s words out of context. We can see neither the discussion they were taken from to gain the insight of what he was getting at, nor, a meaningful response from him.

The Lakota believed it was disrespectful to speak of the dead, because the dead could not answer.

Quite a bit of wisdom, there. More, here:

De mortuis nil nisi bonum

Best,
Ted
Posted By: nca225 Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/28/20 03:04 AM
Here's the thread where I quoted Miller's insightful knowledge from ted.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=551032&page=5

Perhaps you could highlight for us all how I took them out of context, and while your at it highlight any other possible meaning Miller could have been getting at in any other "context". Are you asserting that Miller never believed that there was no prohibition against slavery in the bible? He did believe that and he stood by it. If he were still here, to his credit, he wouldn't abandon his beliefs as quickly as you would have him. Which I think is more disparaging to the deceased then speaking ill of them, which I still can't find where I did speak ill of him in my post, so your latin is off the mark.

Sorry if you, buzz and Gr8day don't like being reminded of his closely held beliefs on the bible and slavery. But if you find his beliefs offensive, than your issue really isn't with me.

I stand my statement that he was well liked by the membership.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/28/20 03:27 AM
nca225, you carefully crafted your post to disparage the beliefs of the deceased without stating anything outright blatant, and you damn well know it. You used a thread that was meant to honor and remember Miller to belittle him with your subtle dishonor. Your pretending to be squeaky clean is revolting, but not surprising. What is notable is to what depths of depravity you will lower yourself to further your anti-God agenda.

BTW, does the "membership", by which you say Miller was well liked, include you? I think not.

SRH

Posted By: craigd Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/28/20 03:39 AM
It won't be easy, not for me anyway, but just maybe I'll get to meet Miller down the road.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/28/20 03:45 AM
Miller forgave everybody. He is an example for us to follow.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/28/20 04:02 AM
T
Here's the thread where I quoted Miller's insightful knowledge from ted.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=551032&page=5

Perhaps you could highlight for us all how I took them out of context, and while your at it highlight any other possible meaning Miller could have been getting at in any other "context". Are you asserting that Miller never believed that there was no prohibition against slavery in the bible? He did believe that and he stood by it. If he were still here, to his credit, he wouldn't abandon his beliefs as quickly as you would have him. Which I think is more disparaging to the deceased then speaking ill of them, which I still can't find where I did speak ill of him in my post, so your latin is off the mark.

Sorry if you, buzz and Gr8day don't like being reminded of his closely held beliefs on the bible and slavery. But if you find his beliefs offensive, than your issue really isn't with me.

I stand my statement that he was well liked by the membership.

You took it completely out of context, as Miller pointed out later in the same post, he was making the point that you cannot judge the past by the present. You clearly read that and chose to leave that part out.

You also damn with faint praise. I find it interesting that faint praise would not be true enough to be chiseled into your own headstone.

If you can’t say something nice....

Best,
Ted
Posted By: old colonel Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/28/20 05:07 AM
Miller was a good guy, he was a positive contributor who will be missed
Posted By: GLS Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/28/20 11:29 AM
Miller had a knack for mathematics. He was highly intelligent and while I gathered he was self-taught and his education was mostly through hard knocks and experience which was better than formal schooling. While he rarely showed flashes of displeasure with posters, when he did it was measured and never aggressive. In summary, he was a gentleman. Gil
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/28/20 12:09 PM
I'm trying to mourn Miller's passing in a positive light.
So, I'm handling my measuring tools, and carding files.

Please don't spoil his memory with petty bickering.

He was born and raised in a far different time than most of us.

Celebrate the good.
Posted By: nca225 Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/28/20 02:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

You took it completely out of context, as Miller pointed out later in the same post, he was making the point that you cannot judge the past by the present. You clearly read that and chose to leave that part out.

You also damn with faint praise. I find it interesting that faint praise would not be true enough to be chiseled into your own headstone.

If you can’t say something nice....

Best,
Ted

How so? He used his belief that the bible does not prohibit slavery to justify his argument. How is that out of context? Are you contending that Miller was only a sunshine friend to his beliefs and readily dumped them when convenient? That wasn't Miller.

You fellows seem upset about something that is beyond my control. Its not up to me how you interpret what Miller believed in or didn't. It smacks of hypocrisy that your upset at me about a belief of his that is well documented. He stood by it in life, why don't you let him in passing? And frankly, if you are only mourning your idealized version of the man, you really aren't mourning the man at all.

I suggest you look more inward on this and figure out what is making you upset or just accept Miller on the whole because if your total measure of a person stops at their knowledge of firearms and their willingness to share it, you've made a gross miscalculation along the way.

I stand by my statement, he was indeed well liked by the membership.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/28/20 02:34 PM
I suppose we owe our atheist friends here the same respect for their beliefs as we demand for our own. This is a memorial thread for one of our own, one of our best. Not the place for rancor...Geo
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Miller Fulks passing - 05/28/20 10:35 PM
I considered Miller to be a friend though we never met. Always a gentleman towards me and others and a deep reservoir of knowledge. As with others I will miss his presence. God speed 2piper!
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Miller Fulks passing - 06/06/20 07:12 PM
Last week as I was reflecting on the end of Miller’s earthly life and considering whether I should post a comment or not (I’d already personally said everything I wanted to say to him) a friend stopped by. As we sat in the shade on a way-too-early-to-be-this-hot Colorado morning, he filled me in on his recent cycle of therapy for an aggressive and advanced form of cancer. As he did I realized he wasn’t himself and his thoughts were disjointed. One moment He was in the present and the next he was telling me about terrible things he’d done and said decades ago before I knew him. As I listened, he suddenly said, “You going to need to help me. I’m dealing with chemo confusion.”

Our visit turned out to be a gift of clarity. Who I knew this friend to be (a fine Christian gentleman) was not who he knew himself to have been through much of his life. He had needed (and received) much grace.

Shortly after he left I was looking for some how-to help on the web and YouTube tried to distract me (as they always do). I took the bait and clicked on an interview with famed Canadian astronaut, Chris Hadfield. Now entering his 60’s what would he say to his 20 year old self. “Every single person you meet is struggling...They are looking for significance. They are trying to do the best they can and they fail regularly...so cut them some slack. Don’t let them off the hook but recognize the shared nature of being a human being and let people be themselves, make some allowances for them, treat people a little more kindly as a result.”

We’re all struggling. We’re all terminal.
We all need some grace.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com