doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Grouse Guy Sideplate field utility? - 07/03/20 03:54 PM
Gents:
I shoot side-by-sides. I know the difference between a boxlock and a sidelock (particularly hand removable), as far as an ability to remove/replace a sidelock that fails, needs drying, or other service.

My question is about sideplates. Do sideplate actions have any inherent advantage over a boxlock? Can you (with a turnscrew) open the action to dry it, rather than pull the stock as you need to do with a boxlock? I'm thinking of an action that has gotten drenched in a downpour or water dunking.
GG
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Sideplate field utility? - 07/03/20 04:27 PM
I know some sidelocks that have had their wood damaged by the side plate removal and reinstallment. I tend to leave mine alone unless really needed.
Karl
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Sideplate field utility? - 07/03/20 04:42 PM
I don't have a sideplate gun so I'm unsure just what is under the sideplate. Since such a gun is really just a boxlock I'd expect to just find wood under the plate and I doubt there'd be any more access to the locks without removing the stock than on a straight boxlock...Geo
Posted By: Doug Mann Re: Sideplate field utility? - 07/03/20 04:53 PM
GG, to answer your question, IMO, sideplate actions have no practical reason for being other than a place for engraving. You might think from my statement that I don't like sideplate guns, nothing could be further from the truth. I own (custodian in this life) a Francotte Eagle grade that is my favorite shotgun and as my bestus bud calls it "pick of the litter".

I also agree with Karl, sidelocks are best left to a person with experience to remove them.

Doug
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Sideplate field utility? - 07/03/20 04:54 PM
The only such gun I have is a Beretta 687EL.

This is of course more properly a 'trigger plate' action.

There is certainly no added 'utility'. The stock has to come off for any maintenance requirements.

It adds weight and removes wood. It just results in more metal area for embellishment.

If it looks any better than one without is a matter of taste.

The Berettas are through bolted guns so strength isn't compromised.

Posted By: skeettx Re: Sideplate field utility? - 07/03/20 04:59 PM
Mine is the Bernardelli Gamecock Premier
It does quite well

Mike
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Sideplate field utility? - 07/03/20 06:32 PM
My only side plated gun is my FAIR Verona LX 692 Gold Sporting 28/.410 two barreled set. I restocked it a few years ago to get more drop and get rid off the ugly target buttstock it came with. The side plates were no problem to remove and replace numerous times as I inlet them.

They look nice, with the extra room for engraving, as mentioned by SJ. But, as far as utility, I know of nothing about them that makes them more useful in any other way.

SRH
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Sideplate field utility? - 07/03/20 06:51 PM
The Lefever, having some part of the locks on the side-plate does allow greater access to the locks. But it isn't technically a side-plate gun I reckon...Geo
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Sideplate field utility? - 07/04/20 02:43 AM
Yes, a side plated gun does robably have an advantage over a plain, standard boxlock, IMO. Boxlocks, due to their design have very little wood contacting the action and are prone over time to develop cracks and split open at the head of the stock. A sideplated gun, with a screw running through the weakest part of the stock, clamps all this wood together and strengthens it. Same principle as a C clamp. There is a trade off to accomplish this though and it may cancel any advantage: Wood has to be removed to inlet the side plates and that does thin wood in a critical area.
Posted By: mark Re: Sideplate field utility? - 07/04/20 11:20 AM
The marketing term for early side plates was Ornamental Strengthening Plates.
Posted By: keith Re: Sideplate field utility? - 07/04/20 03:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
The Lefever, having some part of the locks on the side-plate does allow greater access to the locks. But it isn't technically a side-plate gun I reckon...Geo

That would be somewhat true of the earlier Syracuse Lefevers that had sideplate mounted sears. But the later Syracuse Lefevers are true sideplate guns. However, removing the sideplates does expose some of the action parts, such as the mainsprings, sear and trigger springs, sears, hammers, etc.

Posted By: L. Brown Re: Sideplate field utility? - 07/04/20 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: mark
The marketing term for early side plates was Ornamental Strengthening Plates.

I think Cogswell & Harrison may have invented that term. And they made a lot of guns with the little added metal plates right at the head of the stock, behind the receiver. Plenty of Hellis doubles with that same feature. And Mark just sold me a nice Alex Martin 12 bore, #2 of a pair, with those added plates. Can't recall ever having seen them on a Martin before.

Bernardelli (and Francotte) both did one piece sideplates that made the guns look a lot like a sidelock. They do provide more space for the engraver to do his handiwork.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com