doublegunshop.com - home

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101471018

Just guessing the pricing might be a bit, “optimistic”.

Best,
Ted
$3,895 isn't much too optimistic, with the case and Brileys. Some would say the tubes reduce value but I like versatility. Rare and fine guns in my humble opinion...Geo

P. S.: Gotta love Darnes as well!
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
$3,895 isn't much too optimistic, with the case and Brileys. Some would say the tubes reduce value but I like versatility. Rare and fine guns in my humble opinion...Geo

P. S.: Gotta love Darnes as well!

Do you like 24” tubes? Did you happen to glance at how those tubes fit that case?

RE the Darne thing, yea, if they fit.

Best,
Ted
I didn't notice the 24" barrels, but I don't object at all to short barrels for snap shooting stuff in the canebreaks down here. I have a Win. Model 12 16 with 24" barrel which is my most deadly bobwhite and woodcock gun..Geo
I own a 12 & 20 ga. with 26" tubes, short enough for me. I think the gun presents odd with 24" barrels.
Yes, that price certainly is optimistic in my opinion. Many correct ones to be had near that price.
Karl
Looks like a hell of a deal compared to this --

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101475979

Oh the horror!!
Never mind the barrels, checkered butt is my deal breaker.
Originally Posted By: Ithaca5E
Never mind the barrels, checkered butt is my deal breaker.

A checkered butt is a deal breaker?

If you don’t care for a checkered butt ( my personal favorite treatment, by the way) it is light years of magnitude easier and cheaper to deal with then 24” tubes.

Geo, a repeater like a model 12, with a short barrel, is a different kettle of fish compared to a good double with 24” barrels. The receiver gives the impression of 4-5” of barrel.

Best,
Ted
A coach gun!
Originally Posted By: Little Creek
A coach gun!

Most people don’t start with a gun worth 3-4 large to build a coach gun.

Best,
Ted
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: Little Creek
A coach gun!

Most people don’t start with a gun worth 3-4 large to build a coach gun.

Best,
Ted

On the other hand, if you start with a 26" barrel set and want the versatility of screw-in chokes, you're stuck with cutting off two inches of barrel length to install the screw-ins.

I can't comment on the resulting balance of what this guy did, but the 24" barrels don't automatically disqualify the gun for close up shooting in my experience. I used to shoot a 311 riot/police gun with 24" barrels and open choke. With the tighter shooting steel I killed a lot of long distance ducks with it too...Geo
Originally Posted By: Researcher
Looks like a hell of a deal compared to this --

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101475979

Oh the horror!!

Speaking of horrors......It's not up for sale so I can't link to it but how about a Lindner Daly Diamond Quality model 275 10 gauge with 22" barrels.

It has, IMHO, better wood and more finely done engraving than the one CJO recently restored. And someone thought it was a good idea to cut 8" or 10" inches off those barrels!!!!
Quote:
On the other hand, if you start with a 26" barrel set and want the versatility of screw-in chokes, you're stuck with cutting off two inches of barrel length to install the screw-ins.

Why would you need to cut the barrels to install screw-ins?
Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:

Why would you need to cut the barrels to install screw-ins?

It maybe the tubes were already cut and putting tubes into it made it shootable?

I have never been able to effectively shoot barrels that short, but have had great success with 27 inch barrels and the one 26 inch gun have.
There is no need to cut barrels back to install screw-in choke tubes. The basic requirement that determines whether the procedure can be done on a barrel is the wall thickness at the muzzle. Some are just struck too thin, even for Briley thin walls. And, I have seen some that Briley did that I would not want for myself. After boring, and threading, the barrels were so thin in the choke tube area that I'm sure you could have bent them between your thumb and forefinger. A bump on a hard object, with the choke tube removed, would be disastrous. You could actually see the thread pattern on the outside of the barrel.

SRH
Quote:
Speaking of horrors......It's not up for sale so I can't link to it but how about a Lindner Daly Diamond Quality model 275 10 gauge with 22" barrels.

At one of the Vintage Cups at Sandanona we saw and handled an Ithaca Flues Model 10-gauge with factory righteous 22-inch barrels. I don't remember exactly but it included the hang-tag or a letter from Walter, maybe both.
While I'm reluctant to say that 26" bbl.'s were the norm for double guns of the O/U persuation being used for skeet until the mid 70's, they were not uncommon. And while they have fallen out of favor today, they only await some modern Churchill to come along advocationg short bbl.'s to have a new following. I've never found them disadvantagous for low gun skeet, upland game behind a dog or snap shooting dove. Just saying.
The main complaint with the Miroku produced for Browning BSS sidelock is that most were 26” tube guns. I almost fell down when I saw one that had been cut to 24”. Yes, there is at least one guy here who thinks that is OK, but, he hasn’t bought the gun, either, and likely will not.
I have a few guns that are 26”. Some longer, out to 28” and a couple 25”. I’m not buying a double with 24” tubes, and I bet most guys won’t.
George Caswell offered me a Purdey many years ago that had been built for a grouse hunter with 22” tubes, and slim and none chokes. He had all the paperwork to document that, as well. I suppose I would have got a grouse or two with it, and one day I would have been buried with it, too.

Best,
Ted
sadly, many bss guns have been cut down for cowboy action shooting...

i try not to sell bss guns to cba shooters...
Can't go wrong with a nice gun like that! Your choice of chokes makes it an all around upland gun and that includes roosters and sharpies.
I have friends that hunt prairie grouse. It isn’t really a short barrel game. 26” barrels is about my lower limit on roosters that are in the same neighborhood.

I’ve never had a shot on a sharptail that was less than about 35 yards. They sure are spooky.

Screw in chokes are a bit overrated. Considering the gun, if it was 26” to begin with (if, in fact it was a 28” barrel to begin with, a pox on the house of whoever cut it to 24”) had IC and MOD chokes to begin with, you could have played with your loads to get looser or tighter patterns.

Most guys, maybe not most guys here, but, most guys, never learn how to shoot and load for a single choke.

Best,
Ted
Originally Posted By: Researcher
[/quote]

At one of the Vintage Cups at Sandanona we saw and handled an Ithaca Flues Model 10-gauge with factory righteous 22-inch barrels. I don't remember exactly but it included the hang-tag or a letter from Walter, maybe both.

i have owned for many years a nid ithaca super 10 with 20" barrels that i assumed to be cut-offs 35+ years ago. but a closer look reveals both tubes marked "O" on the flats....
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com