doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Buzz Checkering style, sharp diamond or flat top? - 07/23/20 02:00 AM
I know a lot of older guns had flat top checkering which I like. I’m having a new stock made for a modern competition gun and am considering flat top checkering for that piece. What sort of checkering do you guys prefer? What would be an advantage of sharp diamond over flat top and vise versa? Disadvantages? Would flat top look out of place on a modern O/U competition gun? Is flat top more difficult to execute than the sharper pointed diamond style? Just wondering and contemplating....
Buzz, I’m not a craftsman who does this stuff but my impression is flat top checkering is more difficult to execute properly than pointed. Seems to me sharp checkering doesn’t require every line to be exactly the same depth as flat top does to result in flat diamonds all the same size. And I don’t think it would be out of place on a modern gun. In fact, it might draw envious responses from fellow shooters.
I think I would stick with standard pointed up checkering. Maybe, ask what lines per inch the flat top checkering would be. If you can talk someone into cutting it fine, it may be tough to tell them apart? Some may appreciate it, but someone might look over your pride and joy, and ask if that's basket weave? Do it your way Doc Buzz.
Posted By: SKB Re: Checkering style, sharp diamond or flat top? - 07/23/20 10:21 AM
Talk to your stocker and get his opinion. I like flat top checkering myself but I think you will find very few craftsman who offer it. I know of 3, one of which is in Canada.
I have found that people using machine cut checkering just make fewer passes. I think it was Carol at Altmans that did a restocked LCS for me at roughly half the cost of cut up checkering. Looks fine but that was several years ago when she did it.

bill
How can we tell you what your personal preference is?

What feels better for your 'competition' gun purposes?

Do you wear gloves? Does sharp checkering give you callouses?

If you're asking about appearances who cares... it's a 'competition' gun.
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
How can we tell you what your personal preference is?

What feels better for your 'competition' gun purposes?

Do you wear gloves? Does sharp checkering give you callouses?

If you're asking about appearances who cares... it's a 'competition' gun.

BTW, the proper spelling is “calluses” and I told you I like flat top checkering. No, I don’t wear gloves and yes, some people care about the look of their competition guns. Maybe you should learn to comprehend what you read and learn how to spell rather than wasting time displaying your usual argumentative heinie sort of attitude.
I agree that diamonds pointed up are easier to execute than flats, so that's where I go.

I am predominantly a 20 lpi guy; 20 looks good on most anything. I will back down to 18 or 15 if trying to rehab or replicate an inexpensive gun.

For a competition gun, however, I prefer 24 lpi. The grip area on a gun used for targets gets a lot of skin/glove contact in a short span of time, and the finer checkering feels considerably softer in the hand. Looks great, too.
Since you asked, as if my preference should matter in the slightest to your selection of features for your custom stock...

I wouldn't have any checkering at all. The grip would be contoured for my hand and left smooth.

The forend would also be shaped for my thumb and pointy finger.

What could be better? Checkering serves no useful purpose on target guns and just chews your hands up.

If someone else didn't like it, they could just kiss my heinie.

Sorry for being so callous. As you pointed out, it's my nature.
Flat top checkering is nothing but decoration. Pointed, conventional checkering helps with grip, and on a competition gun it would be much better for helping you hold onto a gun when you have sweaty, slippery hands. That was the original intent of checkering.
JR
Properly executed flat top checkering can be quite functional. Typically it is fewer lines per inch that are .020" wide and about that deep. The issue in the States is tools have to be hand made as none are commercially available. As Steve said nobody here likes to do it.
Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Flat top checkering is nothing but decoration. Pointed, conventional checkering helps with grip, and on a competition gun it would be much better for helping you hold onto a gun when you have sweaty, slippery hands. That was the original intent of checkering.
JR

I'm in agreement with John. I want my hands to be "locked in" on my target shotguns so I prefer fairly aggressive pointed checkering. I've never rubbed my hands raw and I suspect I shoot as much or more than most. Non checkered stocks are fine for my bench type target rifles...not my shot guns.
Never did a flat top checkering stock. Touched up a few and was careful not to convert them to pointed top be accident. I once made a fore end for a 1100 with pointed checkering that was 28 lines per inch. Felt great. Was a absolute nightmare to do. Swore then, and have kept that vow, to never do another one again that fine. Worse was the pattern covered the entire fore end, with only the flats on the top of the fore end not checkered. About three times the normal pattern because this was an over sized for end. Remember seeing a Sauer double which have 32 line per inch checkering and know that must have been even worse.
Checkering serves no useful purpose on target guns and just chews your hands up.

Bullshat. I've shot over over 1300 rounds a day for four straight days with a sharply pointed checkered grip and forend with not even a hint of hand damage. What a wuss.

Checkering most certainly does serve a purpose. I wouldn't shoot a comp gun without something to increase my grip ......... checkering is the best combination of function and looks.

SRH
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Never did a flat top checkering stock. Touched up a few and was careful not to convert them to pointed top be accident. I once made a fore end for a 1100 with pointed checkering that was 28 lines per inch. Felt great. Was a absolute nightmare to do. Swore then, and have kept that vow, to never do another one again that fine. Worse was the pattern covered the entire fore end, with only the flats on the top of the fore end not checkered. About three times the normal pattern because this was an over sized for end. Remember seeing a Sauer double which have 32 line per inch checkering and know that must have been even worse.

I have a gun, a MF Ideal that the original chequering was over 32 LPI. By my count it was 36 LPI. But it gets so damn small it's hard to count. When I had it refinished we switched it to 28 LPI. Once you get into the 30s there is no enhanced grip and it wears away too fast.
Originally Posted By: Stan
Checkering serves no useful purpose on target guns and just chews your hands up.

Bullshat. I've shot over over 1300 rounds a day for four straight days with a sharply pointed checkered grip and forend with not even a hint of hand damage. What a wuss.

Checkering most certainly does serve a purpose. I wouldn't shoot a comp gun without something to increase my grip ......... checkering is the best combination of function and looks.

SRH

I'm the wuss and you can't hold on to a shotgun without something to increase your grip?

Funny how Remington sold millions of guns with their stupid pressed in inverse 'checkering' and nobody seemed to be dropping them all over the trap and skeet fields.

I have a callous (acceptable alternate spelling that I've grown fond of since I learned buzz dislikes it) at the base of my middle finger from my trap gun. It's from the checkering. I'd be happy if the gun had no checkering at all.

This is a discussion board and there's no right or wrong, but if I was going to spec out a grip it would be smooth and have finger grooves. It would have a very full pistol grip like a Perazzi.

The key to decent target shooting is doing everything the same way each time, and what could be better than a grip that actually fit your hand and came up exactly the same way each time?

If you have your fingers wrapped around a grip like that there's certainly no need for a non slip coating.

Would that look like hell? Maybe. But the 100/100 would look better.
I knew who I was calling a wuss. I can read. Anyone, you or otherwise, who can't shoot a few hundred rounds in a day with a gun that has pointed up checkering without it chewing up your hands is a wuss. If you're not, find a better argument to support your dislike of checkering.

SRH
Originally Posted By: KY Jon

It would be great to see some pictures of those checkering jobs you did! Thanks in advance. whistle
Buzz, I'm responding to your questions by offering my own experience and opinions. First of all do what you want it's your gun! That said I believe that certain styles of checkering look best on certain firearms and to that end here are two photos that I took this morning. The first is my personal hunting rifle, a Fraser single shot that I love.

The next photo is from a SC gun that I'm checkering. I use this pattern with quite a few modifications for a client. I checker 2-3 guns a month using this style or something very similar.

I have done two guns using flat top checkering and I found it to be difficult because there is NO room for errors. I modified two checkering tips to do the jobs correctly, at least my view of correct. Yes,It's a bugger! I also believe that flat top checkering looks wrong if done finer than 20lpi and thats probably to fine IMO.

Pointed checkering has far more grip-ability, again IMO, but the main reason that I checker guns is because I think they look better. Again IMO!

I hope this helps.
We're all used to checkering on fine guns so we favor it. However beautiful wood is beautiful in itself, so why obscure it with a checkering pattern. Personally I have no problem shooting a smooth grip...Geo
Doug,
That Fraser's checkering is outstanding work! The very long aspect diamonds and the perfectly executed mullered border are truly a thing of beauty. Can we see a photo or two of the whole gun? Thanks.
JR
I can't help thinking that a stock without checkering is not finished. Good checkering doesn't hide the wood's beauty; it offers a different view of it. That Fraser stock s a good example. It would look forlorn without checkering. On the other hand, anyone who'd rather own a stock without can do so with some financial savings.
Quote:
The next photo is from a SC gun that I'm checkering. I use this pattern with quite a few modifications for a client. I checker 2-3 guns a month using this style or something very similar.

That style is similar to a Kolar SC gun I had. i.e. the uncheckered ribbon between the panels.…….very nice!
There were a lot of Plain Finish/Standard Grade Winchester Model 12s & 97s, Remington Model 11, 10 & 17 A "Standard" Grades, etc. giving good service for decades without any checkering.
Originally Posted By: Researcher
There were a lot of Plain Finish/Standard Grade Winchester Model 12s & 97s, Remington Model 11, 10 & 17 A "Standard" Grades, etc. giving good service for decades without any checkering.

And a bazillian of the pressed checkerd jobs that sort of feel like flat top checkering does. Not every old gun has had the checkering recut when worn either, so just perhaps the actual function of checkering is a tad overstated.

I like checkering. I like the way it looks, and some, even most, guns would indeed look unfinished without.

One of the best stocks I've ever had the chance to use belongs to a friend of mine who fitted it to a Beretta auto. I believe it's from Wenig. He allowed me to try it before he checkered it. It has a big meaty grip area and handles very well. The owner thinks it's just fine as is and has yet to checker it.

As far as the wuss factor goes, I may be one but I don't wear gloves. I can't even shoot with gloves in cold weather. Some guys do wear gloves, even in the summer. I don't understand how that can help except to buffer the abrasive effect of the sharp checkering.
Thanks for posting the pics Doug. Your work is so nice that I always enjoy seeing it.

One question .......... is it not unusual to see a checkering pattern that uses the beautiful mullered borders on one side (front) and no borders at all on the other (rear), like your Fraser? Not questioning your decision to do that, it's stunning, just don't recall ever seeing that before.

Best, SRH
Thanks Stan for the kind comments.

To answer your question, I guess it's a matter of style for me. I do mullered borders on the front of point patterns because I like the look. I'm a firm believer that borders are decorative and should not be used to cover up errors. I don't do mullered borders on a fill-in pattern unless the original gun i.e. Parker was done that way. At least you know what your going to get from me :-)

Please bear with me for a moment but that Fraser is, IMO, a spectacular rifle and WAY above my pay grade. However it does give me much pleasure to look at when the sun comes up in the deer woods.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com