doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Goillini 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 07/31/20 04:02 PM
I'd be interested in opinions on the 28 gauge Superposed listed on Guns International, #101486895.

What do those knowledgeable about the Superposed think about this gun? Salt wood?

I contacted Cabelas about the gun, but it's already sold. So my question is just for my edification.
Posted By: bushveld Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 07/31/20 04:14 PM
Here's the quote from Ned Schwing's book: "THE BROWNING SUPERPOSED"
page no. 246 concerning the salt wood affected stocks: "....at least ninety per cent of all stocks for all Browning firearms for the years 1967 through 1969."
Posted By: Researcher Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 07/31/20 05:47 PM
A 26.5 inch barrel New Model Skeet Gun is probably the least desirable 28-gauge to the purest collectors. I can't see any salt issues in the pictures, but would want to examine close up before buying. I paid twice that for my 28-gauge Grade 1 New Model Skeet with 28-inch barrels.

A lot of salt era guns went back to Browning for warranty correction but unless documentation was kept with the gun who knows. I shoot a full set of 28-inch barrel New Model Skeet Guns, no salt issues on any.

Posted By: Bob Cash Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 07/31/20 11:54 PM
I tried to buy it yesterday, It was sold before the ad on GI broke.
Most definitely SaltWood, Crappy photos but you could see discoloration around the receiver, left side.
Phone call confirmed it. Perfect candidate for a restoration / upgrade. Salt schmalt!
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/01/20 12:17 AM
Had a friend in MI that had the forceing cones streached in his Super 28. Found LIGHT Carefull!

bill
Posted By: Goillini Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/01/20 02:44 AM
Yeah Bob as soon as I saw it I figured it might be one you'd be interested in.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/01/20 11:11 AM
Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz
Had a friend in MI that had the forceing cones streached in his Super 28. Found LIGHT Carefull!

bill

Bill, not sure I understand those last few words. Do you mean they cut through the barrel wall? I hope not!

SRH
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/01/20 11:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz

bill

Bill, not sure I understand those last few words. Do you mean they cut through the barrel wall? I hope not!

SRH

I think he means that the back boring ran into one of those outside the barrels pits no one worrys about, but which can be formidable on a salt gun...Geo
Posted By: Researcher Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/01/20 01:54 PM
The Superposed 28-gauge and .410-bore guns were really Skeet Guns made to weigh the same as the Standard weight 20-gauges so their barrels are plenty heavy. Browning never offered the 28-gauge and .410-bore as Lightnings. Hunting versions were an afterthought.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/01/20 02:49 PM
Yes, when I say he found light I am saying the smith made a hole in the barrel wall. The barrels were destroyed. No salt was involed, no pits, just a reamer and standard unmodified super barrels
bill
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/01/20 03:36 PM
What exactly is the purpose of lengthening the forcing cones on a 28 gauge?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/01/20 03:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Cash
What exactly is the purpose of lengthening the forcing cones on a 28 gauge?

Well, yea, that, and how does a “gunsmith” not measure where he is about to cut, and not figure out in advance there isn’t material to accomplish what he is attempting?

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/01/20 05:43 PM
I think the guy who found the light owes you a new gun...Geo
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/01/20 07:31 PM
Back to the OP's question,
Note the degradated border where receiver meets forend.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/02/20 12:41 AM
Bob, the pic's not sharp enough for me to see what you're referring to. Any way for you to clear it up, or highlight the areas you're talking about? What do you mean by "degraded border"?

Thanks, SRH
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/02/20 12:55 AM
Hey Stan, How are you? Hope your family is well.

I just enlarged the sellers crumby image.
Look closely where the receiver meets forend wood.
Definitely not blue.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/02/20 02:05 AM
I'm fine, Bob. All the family is, too. Thanks for asking.

I can see the discoloration now. Is that a telltale sign of salt problems? With that amount of discoloration would you expect to see pitting where the the forend iron meets the wood?

SRH
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/02/20 02:30 AM
Some guns had Salty Buttstocks, some a Salty Forend, some both. Wood sometimes changed color, finish bubbles, burned edges, depending how "hot".
Anywhere metal met wood, again depending how hot, rust ensued. If your ever curious, look at the escutcheon on the forend or pull a screw out of the buttplate/pad.

It really never sleeps.

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/02/20 10:52 AM
Thanks, Bob.

SRH
Posted By: eightbore Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/02/20 01:12 PM
The inside usually looks a lot worse than the outside. Art's website shows a lot of information about salt Brownings.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/02/20 02:43 PM
I first learned of Browning salt guns when I was in college in the late '60s. An acquaintance had a pair of Browning over and unders in 12ga and 20ga. He came from a rich family and they were gifts from his mother. Both guns were severely rusted. I just passed it off as a spoiled rich kid at the time.

Then I learned of the salt gun experiment and felt sorry I had presumed his indolence. Nah, he was actually just a spoiled rich kid...Geo
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/02/20 04:46 PM
I learned the basics of the issue back in the 70s, but having never had any interest in Superposeds I never had any curiosity concerning the details about spotting them, etc. Still don't have any interest in them ............ just never been a big Browning fan. My only one is my old BSS duck gun.

Thanks for the salt schooling, guys.

SRH
Posted By: NCTarheel Re: 28 gauge Superposed on GI - 08/02/20 05:27 PM
Winchester had salt wood, too. And there were other gun manufacturers that used salt wood.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com