doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter RST ammo - 08/03/20 07:46 PM
Just noticed my supply of 28 gauge ammo is running low. Has anyone ran RST brush or Woodcock ammo through a 28 gauge? Or I believe they have a lite also.

A little background, I shot a AYA #1 and a Rizzini my little sxs is pushing 40 years old and the little o/u is not that far behind. I have shot nothing but AA 3/4 oz of 7 1/2 or 8 shot. Hunting mostly grouse, woodcock, doves and hairs along with a few crows.

Looking for an honest opinions on the ammo. I believe the AA rounds are around 1300fps, where the RST are 1100 so 200 fps means a little longer lead or quicker swing through.

Rich
Posted By: skeettx Re: RST ammo - 08/03/20 08:28 PM
AA are less expensive, RST makes wonderful custom ammo

AA skeet/target are 1200
https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/AA/AA288

AA Super Sport are 1300
https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/AA/AASC288

I use AA skeet and my reloads in all my 28 gauge guns.
O/U, SXS, Auto, wish I had a Win Model 12 in 28 smile

Mike
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: RST ammo - 08/03/20 08:43 PM
RST is very good ammunition.

If it's better for your applications only you can decide.

AA skeet loads run 1200 FPS, their 'Supersport' load 1300. RST shows 20 different loads, from 1100 to 1300 FPS. Their 'brush' and 'woodcock' loads both show 5/8 oz. at 1175 FPS.

AA is known to use high quality very hard shot. I suspect RST uses good shot also.

The difference in time of flight to 40 yards between same size round lead shot launched at either 1100 or 1300 FPS is about .01 second. A 90 degree deflection target at 50 MPH can move about 8" during this time. That is very worst case, the majority of targets will only move a small fraction of that. Can you point a shotgun consistently well enough for that to matter?

Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: RST ammo - 08/03/20 08:49 PM
Thanks Mike! It’s hard to beat AA shells, I can’t remember having an issue with AA Shells or reloads. Excluding split hauls. Which happens when shooting at temps 25 degrees below zero.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: RST ammo - 08/03/20 08:54 PM
I use RST in my 28's almost exclusively, unless I shoot my own reloads. A couple hundred FPS in muzzle velocity isn't going to make much difference on those slow-flying birds you name, with the exception of the doves of course... and then just give the doves a bit more lead - what the heck, they're not dodging trees and apple scrubble.

RST makes wonderful loads in all but .410 shells. Morris is a wonderful guy and how could a guy like that produce anything but the best?
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: RST ammo - 08/03/20 08:59 PM
AA 28's are not what they once were.

I've seen new (as in unfired) AA 28's with split heads.

The problem is infrequent, but it's there.

Were I to hunt with a 28, I'd likely look at Fiocchi or B&P.
Posted By: eightbore Re: RST ammo - 08/04/20 02:34 PM
I'm holding on to a case of 28 gauge AAs with split heads. I know they will want me to ship them back, which will cost a good part of the value of the shells. I'm on hold presently.
Posted By: eightbore Re: RST ammo - 08/04/20 02:36 PM
Dam16SXS, RST makes a wonderful little .410 load. I have some in my RST collection. Check the website.
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: RST ammo - 08/04/20 08:56 PM
Great info, I have not seen the split heads in any of the AAs I have ran down range. Would that be an over pressure or poor quality components?

I have had hauls split in extreme cold temperatures, reloads and factory but never a head split. That would worry me a tad.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: RST ammo - 08/04/20 09:17 PM
It's the bean counters taking every nickel out of the product.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: RST ammo - 08/05/20 07:41 PM
The .410 must be relatively new in their lineup.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: RST ammo - 08/05/20 10:43 PM
I'm not sure about RST, but competitor Polywad has had a .410 line for years called the "Gram Cracker". Unfortunately for all of us, Pollywad seems to be defunct. Could be RST is filling the void?...Geo
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: RST ammo - 08/06/20 01:03 AM
Many reloaders are filling the void. RST is great, and appreciated, but expensive.

SRH
Posted By: Replacement Re: RST ammo - 08/06/20 01:09 AM
Best bang for the buck in commercially loaded .410 is probably Estate target loads, or Fiocchi when they are on sale. I managed to score six flats of Win AA paper skeet loads in #9, but I’m saving those for a special gun that I have not yet bought.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: RST ammo - 08/06/20 03:21 PM
Spolar makes my .410’s. I love 300-mp as well. Great velocity at reasonable pressures.
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: RST ammo - 08/07/20 02:57 AM
Well ordered a case of 28 gauge, 3/4 oz of 9 shot. I’ll give them a go at doves in less than 22 days. Lucked out on a couple of controlled state hunts for Opening and second day!
Posted By: Goillini Re: RST ammo - 08/07/20 03:09 AM
I don’t like 9s for doves. I sail too many birds instead of bringing them down solid. You might also want to double check the regs for the state managed place you’re going to hunt. Lots of the IL state managed places are nontox only. Even for doves.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: RST ammo - 08/07/20 11:24 AM
I agree with Goillini on not using 9s for doves, even opening day doves. No. 9s shed their energy too quickly, even at moderate range, and thusly do not penetrate well. I will not shoot 9s on any gamebird anymore, not even released quail, having proven to myself over many years that they are unsuitable for my use.

The best use of 9s is in a 1/2 oz. .410 load while staring down the rib at a cottonmouth, IMO.

SRH
Posted By: btdtst Re: RST ammo - 08/07/20 02:14 PM
I absolutely do not use any shot size smaller than number 7 1/2 on any bird, even quail or doves. I learned that lesson over 50 years ago. Way too many fly offs due to very poor penetration. And if the bird is close enough for decent penetration they have way to many shot in them. Maybe if I were doing some sparrow control, etc, I would use size 8 or 9.... And, no, I am not a long range shooter, i.e., 40+ yard. YMMV
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: RST ammo - 08/07/20 05:21 PM
There are light years difference in the effectiveness of 8s vs 9s. Hard 8s are used effectively to grass wild pigeons in flyer shoots. I've used 8s in the bottom (first) barrel almost without exception, and 7 1/2s in the top (second).

IMO, if they will kill a pigeon dead at 30 yards a dove or quail is a piece of cake. JMM, YMV
Posted By: Goillini Re: RST ammo - 08/07/20 05:59 PM
Equally as important as shot size is using a quality shell. Too many dove shooters go for the cheapest promo loads they can find. Again, for me results in too many fly offs. For doves I shoot lots of Winchester AAs and Remington STS.
Posted By: Replacement Re: RST ammo - 08/07/20 06:35 PM
I use hard 8s early season and 7-1/2s later for doves, unless it’s windy. Then it’s 7-1/2 or sometimes 6 on doves, mostly longer shots in the desert. Quail are often 6s. All that is when I’m out of CA, because all game here requires non-tox. Changes the equation and makes me leave 5he .410 and 28 at home.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: RST ammo - 08/07/20 06:49 PM
RST isn't cheap, but when you figure on the actual costs of a trip afield (gas, food, lodging, licences, other incidentals, etc.) it's pretty trivial. My old English 16 patterns perfectly with about any RST load I've ever tested and...I can get EXACTLY what I want from them. 2 1/2-inch shells in shot size 7 or shot size 5, one ounce (or less) loads, paper cartridges, etc. You name it and they probably load for it. If I had the luxury of shooting or hunting with more frequency, I'd certainly investigate a more cost-effective way to feed my hobby but until then, RST is my go-to source for shells. I even got a mixed case in the mail for Christmas last year.

Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: RST ammo - 08/07/20 09:50 PM
Well good thing next week I am in a 150 round SC and trap shot I’ll give those RSTs a workout on clays see if I like them.
I’ll be shooting 71/2 at those doves
Posted By: btdtst Re: RST ammo - 08/08/20 02:04 AM
Yeah, but what kind of patterns are those pigeon guns throwing at 30 yards? I’m guessing that “as dense as possible” might be the answer. Probably not improved cylinder or a normal upland game type choke. Not trying to argue but, trying to put things into perspective. And, hurray, dove season is soon approaching, yes?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: RST ammo - 08/08/20 02:16 AM
Yes, dove season is 28.58 days away. But, who's counting? grin

And yes again, the chokes are tight on pigeon guns, but I shoot tighter-than-average chokes on most gamebirds, too.

Not pointing a finger at anyone in particular, just making a very general statement, but if more hunters would work hard at improving their wingshooting they would find that they could utilize a little tighter choke, and stop depending on open patterns to hit the bird. Hit to miss ratios improve, and the dog doesn't have to chase down near as many crips.

SRH
Posted By: Replacement Re: RST ammo - 08/08/20 02:30 AM
Doves are always a full choke proposition, even on opening day.

We are skipping opening weekend in Yuma this year. The CA ban on lead ammo has driven far too many CA “hunters” to AZ, and the level of assholery has ratcheted up accordingly. Just not worth the hassle. Planning to go closing weekend, if we go at all.
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: RST ammo - 08/08/20 11:43 PM
For my #1, I already swapped out the barrel for doves; shooting IM, and Full. The little Rizzini, is choked M/F. I am in full agreement, more choke may mean a few misses, However, when your on -very few fly offs and a happy dog to boot.

When I was shooting Way back in the day when on average 500 To 800 rounds a weekend. My shooting coach would have me shooting xfull At Skeet to get my swing and follow through back on track. When shooting registered targets a little more open choke should equate to no lost targets. At least that was his theory.

Strange after 35 years you still remember your coaches words of advice.

Rich
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: RST ammo - 08/08/20 11:57 PM
When I go into a shooting slump that's exactly what I do to get my shooting eye back in. Trick is you have to MAKE yourself hold where the gun is shooting. It may take me a box of shells to hit anything, but once the hand/eye coordination is reprogrammed, it all falls into place, uh, usually...Geo
Posted By: limapapa Re: RST ammo - 08/10/20 02:17 AM
I really like RST falcon lites in my vintage 12'a and 16's. But I have not bought a box in almost 3 years because of the high shipping costs. Last I checked they wanted $39 a flat to ship to Colorado. That adds $4 per box to shells already going for $11 per box. Academy and other retailers ship for free for orders over $50, and others like Grabagun ship unlimited quantities for $12. Lately I have been getting the Federal Top Gun 7/8 oz 1200 fps lite recoil loads for $65 a flat plus $15 shipping plus or minus. Great shells in my opinion. Anybody have any secrets to getting RST shipping costs down?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com