doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Choke/Barrel Smith - 08/22/20 01:30 AM
Who's opening chokes and forcing cones for a reasonable price with a good reputation/quality of work these days? Please omit Mike Orlen from any suggestions. Thank you gentlemen...
Posted By: skeettx Re: Choke/Barrel Smith - 08/22/20 01:42 AM
Skeets Gun Shop

Gun shop in the Woodall, Oklahoma

Address: 14007 US-62, Tahlequah, OK 74464

Phone: (918) 456-4749
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Choke/Barrel Smith - 08/22/20 03:16 AM
+1 for Skeets. Dean Harris, who runs the shop, is a top notch feller. Work is usually prompt and very well done. Also he is willing to talk on phone to really understand what you want. He has saved my butt several times with my vintage guns.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Choke/Barrel Smith - 08/22/20 09:52 AM
Thanks guys. Any idea what he charges per tube to open chokes or to lengthen forcing cones before I call him?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Choke/Barrel Smith - 08/22/20 01:29 PM
Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Who's opening chokes and forcing cones for a reasonable price with a good reputation/quality of work these days? Please omit Mike Orlen from any suggestions. Thank you gentlemen...

Just curious, why omit Orlen? He's done some good and timely work for me at very reasonable prices...Geo
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Choke/Barrel Smith - 08/23/20 02:43 PM
Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Thanks guys. Any idea what he charges per tube to open chokes or to lengthen forcing cones before I call him?

I have forgotten. I just know it was very reasonable. Just go ahead and give him a call. You’ll enjoy the conversation.

Just a tip I’ve found helpful for shipping barrels: I go to a golf store and get a golf club shipping box for free, buy a PVC pipe that just fits inside, and pack the barrel well with bubble wrap. Darn near indestructible.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Choke/Barrel Smith - 08/24/20 12:04 AM
M. Orlen has done extremely fine, and timely, work for the trade for many years. But, occasionally he does not do the work he is asked to do in a reasonable length of time. Maybe he has a good reason, but he doesn't necessarily make that reason known to the customer. It just does not sit well with a customer when he has to ask for the work to be done, or send the barrels back, almost a year after they were received. Point? .....communication is cheap, and extremely important.

Dean Harris is probably the most helpful, patient and reasonable gunsmith I have dealt with over the years of trying to keep these old guns shooting well. I've had some grave disappointments from some "big name" gunsmiths in the trade ............. not with Dean. He's top notch in what he does, and IMO, including his pricing.

SRH
Posted By: Ducks Rx Re: Choke/Barrel Smith - 08/24/20 01:20 AM
Another A+ for Dean Harris . Dean has done choke work on doubles and also tightened action, threaded 16 ga Rem 31’s, Win mod 12 for choke tubes. All excellent work. IMHO Dean is a Master craftsman, and a great guy to talk with.
Also had work done by Mike Orlen. Good job and some with good turn around and several others very slow ( months), and as Stan said with zero communication as to why delay and when will gun be returned
BJT
Posted By: susjwp Re: Choke/Barrel Smith - 08/24/20 11:54 AM
I just had a set of 20 gauge chokes opened by Buck Hamlin In Missouri. Very reasonable and a two week turn around from NY.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Choke/Barrel Smith - 08/24/20 12:13 PM
Buck Hamlin is the ONLY gent I entrust my handful of "Elsies" to, with the caveat that my late good friend and hunting pal Brad Bachelder is no longer with us. RWTF
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: Choke/Barrel Smith - 08/24/20 03:24 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. If you're curious about the comment concerning Mr. Orlen, you can send me a PM and we will discuss it privately.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com