doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Sam Ogle Headed to Nebraska Sandhills for Doves - 09/04/20 12:32 PM
The Grandson and I are headed from Lincoln, NE, to Thedford, out in the Nebraska Sandhills for some Dove shooting. It is a once-a year pilgrimage we undertake. It's a big country. I will take a 12 Gauge side by side. I have in the past, taken a 28 gauge, but when I get out there, and see how big the land is, I think "Why did I take this little thing?" The gun I will take was ordered in 1899, and delivered in 1900.
Good luck to all,
Sam Ogle
Sam, what sort of gun is it? Ordered from where and delivered to who?

Yes, it is big country and a well kept secret. Another Lincolnite will be headed out for Sharpies this weekend. Nebraska has amazing bird hunting.
That sounds like fun.
I may bring the dogs out last week of Sept
Always open to sugestions
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Headed to Nebraska Sandhills for Doves - 09/04/20 01:17 PM
I used to make that same annual pilgrimage, Sam. I hunted the Thedford/Halsey area for Doves, usually using a windmill as a blind...the stock tank I shot over was always overflowing so there was plenty of water in the sand....surrounded by sunflowers. Great spot, as long as the weather held out, the shooting was always really good, especially in the evenings. Somedays the Chickens and Sharptails would come out of the hills to water there too. Pretty cool seeing family groups walk right in.
After the shoot I’d usually find a big shady tree in the Nat’l forest and grill up my birds for lunch or dinner.
A week or so later I’d make the drive again to hunt sharptails & chickens. I loved it out there for sure, it’s such a unique and wonderful landscape. I prefer hunting sharptails out west now, the bird numbers are much better and I’m dialed in on my locations. I haven’t hunted the Sandhills in probably 8 or 9 years. I should probably head back that way one of these days.
I was in the Sandhills each of the last 4 years. Last year was very thin numbers of sharptails......very thin.

No US hunting for me this year. Closed borders suck!
Clapper Z - A buddy and I will be out there around the 23-25th: would be good to see you again.

Mike
I like that idea.
I'm in Cali 9th thru the 12th
Grousing here the 15th through the 18th, but could drive out the 19th, and hunt the 20th, 21st, and 22nd.
Gotta be here in MI the 24th
I was planning on toting my mule out

Edited to add:
It’s a big place, room for lots of people
If others want to come, I’m cool with that.
Maybe a sxs get together will coalesce
Posted By: Hal Re: Headed to Nebraska Sandhills for Doves - 09/08/20 06:16 PM
Doves are piling up here now. Two nights in low '30s. Wish I could see well enough to hunt them. But my buddy shot some yesterday as they flew from my mid-grass prairie restoration plot to wheat stubble. Plot is full of Maximillian sunflower and other native forbs reaching maturity now so they might be feeding there also. Good news is he saw 16 sharptails doing the same thing. I think I also have gray partridge and pheasants using the plot. Good luck in the Sandhills!

Canvasback I feel your border closure woes. Looks like we won't be able to go to our cabin in the Interlake of Manitoba for grouse and woodcock. Been going up there for 53 years, but didn't buy the cabin till 1971.
Posted By: gunny Re: Headed to Nebraska Sandhills for Doves - 09/09/20 05:54 AM
doves will be gone here. we got 2" snow and 29 degrees oh well it was a nice summer
Have a safe trip, Sam.

Best,
Ted
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com