doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KY Jon I got poached, again. - 09/04/20 06:52 PM
Went to my third Dove field yesterday, only to find out others had been there and shot it before us. Takes balls to shoot a field, that is posted, without permission. They did it.

So I called the game warden for that county. Asked him if he had checked anyone hunting on my Hall Road Dove field. Guess what, he had. They told him that day that they did have permission, so he just checked their bag limits, guns and licenses. He was even more pissed than I was. He hates to have people lie to him about stuff like that. Can not blame him for that. In this state you must carry written permission to deer hunt on property you do not own but not to bird hunt.

Bad thing for them is that he knows four of them by name. He paid a visit to two of them today and served them a "happy day citation". He just called and said he had the entire list of ten people who hunted that day. Says that he did check ten people. They all are getting a "happy day citation" from him. Asked me if I wanted to press charges for trespassing as well. Yep I said.

If you can't read a sign you are stupid but if you lie to a game warden, who knows you by name, you are double dumb as heck. I intend to get the entire list of names and make sure that they are never invited to hunt on my property. I do let locals hunt with me sometimes, especially kids but have no interest in them hunting without me or without my permission.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: I got poached, again. - 09/04/20 07:19 PM
Good job, Jon. Sorry for the trouble. Burn their ass.
JR
Posted By: GLS Re: I got poached, again. - 09/04/20 07:31 PM
Lying to an law enforcement agent is a felony in Georgia. You spent a lot time and money planting the field. They should pay your costs, lose their hunting privileges,pay the piper, and suffer the public embarrassment. Gil
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: I got poached, again. - 09/04/20 07:47 PM
Horse whipped and then Tar and Feathered.
'Nuff said.
Posted By: canvasback Re: I got poached, again. - 09/04/20 08:02 PM
That sucks Jon but I'm glad you've chased them down. No mercy, IMHO.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: I got poached, again. - 09/04/20 08:05 PM
I personally favor castrations. Stupid should not be allowed to reproduce. I don’t know what they will get in the end but I am sure a couple ring leaders will get the maximum. The rest ought To get less but all will now also get trespassing as well.

Before I hunt this farm again I am going to walk around the field and make sure nobody adds a bit of bait. Back when I was hunting in MD l had someone place corn on the back corner of my field. I noticed the dove were not flying their normal route into the field. They came in and turned hard right. So I went and looked. Saw 100+ pounds of cracked corn stead out over a hundred feet or so area. Walked back to hunting buddy who was a state game warden and told him the field was baited.

We just made it out to my truck when federal game wardens came into the field. Only time I ever saw a Federal game warden dove hunting. They said they had a tip the field was baited. My buddy the game warden said he just confirmed it and took a sign out if his trunk which posted the area as baited. gets had nothing to say after they found out that nobody had shit a single shell. Field was closed for ten days. I plowed the corn under. After ten days the birds were mostly gone. Figured out later who baited the field and the target was my warden buddy.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: I got poached, again. - 09/04/20 08:17 PM
Careful with that "Hang'em High" attitude. Matches are cheap...Geo
Posted By: John Roberts Re: I got poached, again. - 09/04/20 09:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern

So are "this property under video surveillance" signs.
JR
Posted By: craigd Re: I got poached, again. - 09/04/20 09:28 PM
Couldn’t happen to a nicer batch of ten riffraff. Hope it hurts in the wallet, and their hunting license for the rest of the season. Too bad you don’t have an idea what the vehicles look like in case you notice them in that area again.
Posted By: AZMike Re: I got poached, again. - 09/04/20 10:06 PM
Too many people deal with offending persons with fear. You sir have taken the high road and made these trespassers accountable for their actions.
Maybe you would like to run for the senate?
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: I got poached, again. - 09/04/20 10:11 PM
Originally Posted By: AZMike
Too many people deal with offending persons with fear. You sir have taken the high road and made these trespassers accountable for their actions.
Maybe you would like to run for the senate?

Could be AZMike is suggesting I might make a good democrat mayor??? Just kidding, I hope...Geo
Posted By: pod Re: I got poached, again. - 09/04/20 11:00 PM
I closed my land to hunters 25 years ago Beer cans plastic bags etc. They still sneak in and have a ball for them selves. I have hunted for over 70 years and used to welcome sportsmen now its hunters with killing in mind not the pleasure of the hunt looking for the 170 inch deer. I do let father and son hunt if i really know them.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: I got poached, again. - 09/05/20 01:33 PM

Nothing like a hot barn...
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Re: I got poached, again. - 09/05/20 01:43 PM
KY JON,
It's a damn shame some can't act with common decency and respect for others. This happens more often than it should, however, at least this time they were caught. And like others think loss of hunting/gaming privileges,fines, and maybe equipment confiscation could help reduce this bs in the future. What's the old saying "100% of the laws are written because of 1% of the population.
Thanks for being part of the 99%.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: I got poached, again. - 09/05/20 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: pod
I closed my land to hunters 25 years ago

Years ago I asked a feller if i could deer hunt on his land...."I used to let people hunt and I had a cow shot".

I looked him dead in the eye and replied...."If I wanted to shoot one of your cows I don't figure I'd need your permission"

Hunted there several years...

People get a little too crazy over a trespasser.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: I got poached, again. - 09/05/20 02:03 PM
Here's what should happen--and it's the way to really go after trespassers: Treat them like other game law violators. Many (most) states belong to a consortium where a game law violation means that not only do you lose your hunting privilege in that state, but you also lose it in all others that belong to the consortium. Take away hunting privileges for the remainder of the year, or perhaps longer than that depending on the nature of the violation. There's also the possibility of confiscating guns and vehicles used when you violate game laws.
Posted By: craigd Re: I got poached, again. - 09/05/20 02:40 PM
Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Here's what should happen--and it's the way to really go after trespassers: Treat them like other game law violators....

I don't think that addresses the trepassing?

That field supported ten guns. The owner used their time and resources to create some value that was not there before, and may have decided to use his property in a different manner. The owner's efforts may be compromised or lost for the season, little different than if crops or livestock was stolen in a non game situation.
Posted By: tut Re: I got poached, again. - 09/05/20 04:58 PM
In Virginia you had to have written permission on posted land. We used to have some really good dove hunts off the beaten path on lands where we had permission. We also had the permission of the land owner to run people off who didn't have written permission. Got ugly a few times. Real ugly. This was prior to cell phones. Would be a lot easier to call Mr. Law today then what it was back then.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: I got poached, again. - 09/05/20 10:49 PM
People get a little too crazy over a trespasser.

No Joe, we don't. If a trespasser gets hurt on your property do you think they will just say I was trespassing so it is my bad and I wont demand money from you? You should win in the end but you will need to pay your attorney. You can counter sue for legal fees but broke people wont pay them.

This small plot of land cost me money. I spent more money tilling the land and getting the property into decent shape for safe hunting. Cleaned up a lot of over grown scrub trees, green briars, cut in two ditches to improve drainage and send water into a small pond hoping to create a nesting area for Wood Ducks. Then I planted the food plots and kept them in good shape for the birds.

Only to have some A-hole, decide he will just shoot it for me, with nine of his closest buddies. If it was a kid, I would not care that much. We all do stupid things growing up, that in hindsight we would not do again. But this man was almost 40 years old, not some teenager. I hope every single one of them has the hunting privileges taken away for a year. I hope they pay a fine for trespassing. Let them tell all their friends that they got caught doing this and none will try it again. I am telling you the only game warden I ever saw more pissed than this one was one who got peppered with shot in the marsh and never found out who did it. Man stood right there and lied to his face.
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: I got poached, again. - 09/05/20 11:02 PM
Book'm Dan-o!

Glad you nailed them, Jon. They had it coming.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: I got poached, again. - 09/05/20 11:26 PM
Trespassers and permissioned hunters canNOT sue landowners here. Nice law about that.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: I got poached, again. - 09/05/20 11:59 PM
I did not do anything beyond calling the game warden. He did it all. If he did not know who they were, they would have gotten away with it. I did back him and agree to press charges. Land owners need to back the wardens if you want their help.

I just got off the phone with him and he said that the "ring leader" drove past the field I was shooting and made sure I was using that field which is about ten mile away. He planned this and so did the rest. I have four fields this year of which two are very good, one average and one almost a total write off. Rain can be so hit or miss and two inches of rain at the right time can be the difference.

My wife did point out that for the money and time I invest each year I could just fly down to Argentina and shoot ten times the doves. I hate it when she uses logic on me. But I would rather have multiple places to go here and try to take multiple hunting partners, who just do not have the chance to go anywhere other than $175/day pay places, or over hunted state land with hunters every 20 yards apart shooting birds over each others shooting positions. Two years ago I had almost fifty different shooting guest. Last year was a off year so the number was less than half that. Now this year, my third best field is almost burned out. Perhaps we can shoot it next Saturday, if enough bird return to use it.
Posted By: GLS Re: I got poached, again. - 09/06/20 12:03 AM
Jon, I agree with your position. He stole from you. It wasn't just a turkey hunter coming across the line by a few feet and killing a bird; it took some nerve for him to have 9 folks accompany him. It's outrageous and as brazen a trespass I've heard of. I'm surprised he didn't have barbecue afterwards near the field. Next year you might think about putting out a well-hidden game camera to see if anyone comes in and spite baits the field. I'd also have the warden check your fields a few days before the season. Gil
Posted By: Tamid Re: I got poached, again. - 09/06/20 03:30 AM
The laws changed last year due to the rampant theft in rural areas. Now petty trespass can get a $25,000 fine in Alberta.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: I got poached, again. - 09/06/20 11:15 AM
Maybe come up with a number of what you think your losses are and see if the culprits are amenable vs the legal route?

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: I got poached, again. - 09/06/20 01:09 PM
Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Maybe come up with a number of what you think your losses are and see if the culprits are amenable vs the legal route?

"He who goes to the law takes a wolf by the ear."...Geo
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: I got poached, again. - 09/06/20 01:17 PM

???
Not sure how to interpret that.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: I got poached, again. - 09/06/20 02:23 PM

That is a variation of a famous Latin verse. "Auribus teneo lupum", i.e. holding a wolf by it’s ears, as one would express this in Latin reflects encountering a problem or a difficulty that has yet to be overcome. However whichever path you take, whatever you do, difficulties are to be met. The proverb illuminates the fact that sometimes there are no perfect solutions to a problem, sometimes there are no solutions at all.

Also a similar verse is attributed to Jefferson. In his version it was "either hold or let go, justice is in one scale, and self-preservation in the other”. Or you could be referring to "He Who Goes to Law Takes a Wolf by the Ears". Hunter S. Thompson. I am sure others have used that basic thought. I also know of one Serbian version.

I think that in this case, George is warning me that this is a double edged sword. If I did not report them they would certainly just do it again whenever they thought they could get away with it. Or the reverse side is that since I did report them, they could retaliate against me in some way. But I can not be parallelized by double think.

Just like a thief often cases his planned location, these fellows cased mine. They confirmed that I was elsewhere and almost certain to remain there. Who moves off opening day? If the birds are late, you just wait and hope.

Interesting the breadth of knowledge, history and experiences shared here. Sad that I knew this and so many other total worthless, in practical terms, thing and often need to stop and remember why I went into a room for something. Keys move themselves and a hundred dead phone numbers or bank account numbers still come into my mind. But a term I found interesting 50+ years ago still bounces around as well. Funny world.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: I got poached, again. - 09/06/20 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: BrentD

???
Not sure how to interpret that.

Ancient legal saying as explained by Ky Jon. If you ever have the misfortune to get involved in a law suit, you will understand completely...Geo

By the way I'd have handled the situation same as Jon did.
Posted By: pod Re: I got poached, again. - 09/06/20 04:28 PM
It is in a way difficult to manage your own land when so many want access to it to hunt. Friends etc. approach you and as Kyjon said there are consequences if it turns ugly. As I said in an earlier page I closed my land years ago to hunters not to be mean only because they gave me no choice. I would let the Dove hunters in with the caution of picking up their empty hull as the cattle will pick them up and swallow them.[completely ignored] Don't hunt the land [field] behind the house found a hunter in my stand behind the house. no four wheelers to tear up the fields. Guess what? A friend comes to me to borrow a tracter because his sons truck is bogged down in the middle of one of the fields. [How do you handle this 5 o'clock in the morning guess what he was doing???] I was given no choice but to close it to all and not get into a pissing contest with my neighbors and hard feelings. Oh I'm not a mean land owner I did give permission to a neighbors son this past season and the first evening of his hunt i heard an awful racket of gun fire he had an AK47 with a 30 round clip. we don't speak any more. Kyjon really explained it perfectly.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: I got poached, again. - 09/06/20 04:38 PM
I am a land owner and understand the problems mentioned in this thread. My solution (?) has been to lease out my hunting rights, reserving full use to myself and my sons. The hunting club members vested interest in patrolling and developing the hunting potential of my property for me and paying me for the privilege has worked well for nearly forty years...Geo
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: I got poached, again. - 09/06/20 04:56 PM
Anyway, good luck with all that Ky.

Denver omelette or over medium.....hmmmmm.

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: I got poached, again. - 09/06/20 05:35 PM
Non Illigitimi Carborundum...Geo
Posted By: KY Jon Re: I got poached, again. - 09/07/20 04:46 AM

Geo. is it not Non Illegitimi Carborundum? Been almost 50 years since my last Latin class but I think it is e not i. And I agree, do not let the bastards grind you down.
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: I got poached, again. - 09/07/20 08:51 AM
Breaking news, silicon carbide ,once widely thought to have been first produced and named by Dr Edward Goodrich Archeson now discovered to have been widely used by Ancient Romans. To quote the lesser known Latin phrase
“Nos Inventa Carborundum”

Hi Lonesome ,when is Uncle Fester returning it’s not the same without him.
Keith ,Non Illegitimi Carborundum. Hope to see you soon. On the board ,obviously, I know you’re not keen on the Dunblane gig. I heard you had been spotted at some garage sale, hope you picked up a few bargains. Take care and all the best, Konor
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: I got poached, again. - 09/07/20 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon

Geo. is it not Non Illegitimi Carborundum? Been almost 50 years since my last Latin class but I think it is e not i. And I agree, do not let the bastards grind you down.

You're probably right. I've always relied upon smart secretaries and spellcheck to make me sound literate. Now I've retired its just me and spellcheck (which does not know latin)...Geo

Plus, I gave away my Blacks Law Dictionary when I retired.
Posted By: GLS Re: I got poached, again. - 09/07/20 03:00 PM
Not that I am a Latin scholar but I read recently that the phrase isn't "correct" Latin. Just as well, look what "correct" Latin did to the Romans. Gil
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: I got poached, again. - 09/07/20 03:57 PM
For those who didn’t catch on in my first post.
Carborundum a conflation of carbon and corundum first coined by Dr Edward Goodrich Archeson in the late 19th Century for Silicon Carbide.Later used as a brand name for silicon carbide abrasive ie carborundum stone. Not an authentic Latin word.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: I got poached, again. - 09/07/20 04:15 PM
The phrase,latin or not, correct or not still looks cool as hell when nicely printed on a necktie. And often expresses just what I am feeling...Geo
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: I got poached, again. - 09/07/20 04:22 PM
The phrase,latin or not, correct or not still looks cool as hell when nicely printed on a necktie. And often expresses just what I am feeling...Geo

I agree 100%
Posted By: GLS Re: I got poached, again. - 09/07/20 05:50 PM
Posted By: KY Jon Re: I got poached, again. - 09/07/20 05:59 PM
I had a hunting partner who used the phrase "eat sh.t and die" when unhappy with someone. He was a doctor so I decided he needed to spruce it up a bit. So I had a plaque engraved for his office which in Latin said eat sh.t and die. Stayed on his office wall for almost 40 years, right next to his diploma. He said nobody ever figured out what it said.

My favorite Latin insult is the following one.

Mater tua tam obesa est ut cum Romae est urbs habet octo colles!
Your mama is so fat when she goes to Rome it has 8 hills!
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: I got poached, again. - 09/07/20 10:39 PM
Originally Posted By: GLS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-cFtSPIF4Q
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: I got poached, again. - 09/08/20 12:07 AM
Always well dressed, Gil has found another sartorial classic...Geo
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: I got poached, again. - 09/08/20 08:15 PM
Being a good Catholic school lad (1950's) we had Latin for life, or darn close. Never smoked, but the Pall Mall lung-busters in the red package (American Tobacco Co. product, like Lucky Strikes, had the Latin wording "En Hoc Signo Vincenes"-- In this sign I shall conquer"-- I prefer the Latin motto of the British Royal Marine Commandos- Quin Audere, Vincere-- "He who dares, wins"--

Having studied Latin possibly helped me with HS Spanish-- not so much with German though. RWTF
Posted By: Thruxton Re: I got poached, again. - 09/08/20 09:31 PM
Tut tut, that's the SAS motto " Quin Audere, Vincere". The Marines is ""Per Mare, Per Terram".
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: I got poached, again. - 09/08/20 09:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Thruxton
Tut tut, that's the SAS motto " Quin Audere, Vincere". The Marines is ""Per Mare, Per Terram".

Just beat me to it Thruxton. If I can add the SBS motto was originally Not By Strength By Guile but is now shortened to By Strength And Guile.
Posted By: Buzz Re: I got poached, again. - 09/08/20 10:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Being a good Catholic school lad (1950's) we had Latin for life, or darn close. Never smoked, but the Pall Mall lung-busters in the red package (American Tobacco Co. product, like Lucky Strikes, had the Latin wording "En Hoc Signo Vincenes"-- In this sign I shall conquer"-- I prefer the Latin motto of the British Royal Marine Commandos- Quin Audere, Vincere-- "He who dares, wins"--

Having studied Latin possibly helped me with HS Spanish-- not so much with German though. RWTF
In terms of the Latin there Fox, it’s actually “in hoc signo vinces”....”in this sign thou shalt conquer”. Sorry, but fact. All Sigma Chi’s know that.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: I got poached, again. - 09/08/20 10:48 PM
Mater tua tam obesa est ut cum Romae est urbs habet octo colles!
Your mama is so fat when she goes to Rome it has 8 hills!

Still is my favorite Latin phrase. I rather like the direction this thread has taken. Can not have too much Latin. Amazing, for a dead language, how useful it is sometimes. Perhaps it is only useful because it is a dead language and nobody can screw it up anymore. My late father could remember Latin he learned in high school up into his 90s.
Posted By: ed good Re: I got poached, again. - 09/08/20 10:49 PM
sic semper tyrannis...
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: I got poached, again. - 09/08/20 11:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
...I prefer the Latin motto of the British Royal Marine Commandos...

Interesting.

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: I got poached, again. - 09/09/20 12:26 AM
“Il bouffe bien, Il boit bien, Il baise bien”.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: old colonel Re: I got poached, again. - 09/09/20 10:05 PM
My favorite Latin phrase in respect to shotgunning is “Festina Lente”

— Make haste slowly

A good description of engaging targets well. I forget which British shooter I read where I got it. (Maybe the Marquis of Ripon)
Posted By: canvasback Re: I got poached, again. - 09/09/20 10:55 PM
My son, when he was very young, as many children do, got quite interested in dinosaurs. That morphed into an interest in all ancient animals which turned into an interest in modern animals. Which led him to the scientific names for things. All this by the time he was six. One day, when he was in second grade, I found him at my computer trying to teach himself Greek and Latin, to better understand the names of creatures. That interest continues to this day. The first year he could take Latin at school was in 9th grade. His year-end mark was 100.

Because he knows I took Latin (50 years ago) I have been being tested on my knowledge for the last 8 years. I'm getting tired of Latin. LOL
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: I got poached, again. - 09/09/20 11:24 PM
knowing even a little Latin is a heck of an advantage in so many ways. Congratulations to your son.
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: I got poached, again. - 09/10/20 01:13 AM
The window for learning a foreign language is open widest at about age 10. I'm sure Latin has served him well, Canvasback. So many of our words have Latin roots.
Posted By: LGF Re: I got poached, again. - 09/10/20 02:07 AM
CB, my history was the same as your son's - started with dinosaurs, went through reptiles, ended up spending fifty years studying large carnivores. I also took Latin in high school to learn the meaning of animals'scientific names. I loved the language, but am not convinced by the argument that Latin makes it easier to learn Romance languages; the time might have been better spent learning Spanish or French instead.
Posted By: Replacement Re: I got poached, again. - 09/10/20 02:14 AM
Quote:
I loved the language, but am not convinced by the argument that Latin makes it easier to learn Romance languages; the time might have been better spent learning Spanish or French instead.

I agree. Four years of Honors Latin in high school, and I barely squeaked through college French. Even though my wife was fluent in French. Caesar's Gallic Wars and Cicero's Orations were not all that stimulating for a 16 year old.
Posted By: GLS Re: I got poached, again. - 09/10/20 11:30 AM
My experience with 4 years of Latin in high school helped me understand the fall of Rome. It almost killed me.
My oldest BIL has a Phd in ancient classics, Roman and Greek. At his graduation at Princeton, the salutatory address was in Latin which is traditional. My wife was in attendance and said that during parts of the address, the audience would laugh at the jokes. Gil
Posted By: canvasback Re: I got poached, again. - 09/10/20 12:05 PM
LGF, for a number of years I honestly thought he would follow a path similar to yours. It even to to the point of visiting a smallIsh but nicely done museum of marine reptiles and when we got to the centrepiece of the museum, a gigantic mosasaur of some sort, Gordon looked at me and said “Dad, this is not a tylosaurus. They’ve made a mistake. (He was about to turn 10). Despite me assuring him that was impossible, he stuck to his guns. A chance encounter in the gift shop with the museum’s curator revealed that yes, Gordon was correct. They had messed up, wrongly identified it on the plaque and had a new one on order.

Now however, despite maintaining an interest in living things, mathematics is his focus. Much less interesting to me. Haha!
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: I got poached, again. - 09/10/20 12:11 PM
Does anyone really give a damn Charlotte...
Posted By: canvasback Re: I got poached, again. - 09/10/20 12:48 PM
Do me a favour jOe, put me on ignore.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: I got poached, again. - 10/01/20 06:23 PM
I am just getting around to reading some threads that birthed and died whilst I was in ICU and rehab. I wish you well, Jon, and would have done exactly the same on my land as you did. What a disappointing find that must have been for you.

Any updates on the perp's sentences would be appreciated. I hope they go before a judge that likes to shoot doves. There are quite a few of those around here.

Best, SRH
Posted By: pamtnman Re: I got poached, again. - 10/01/20 11:54 PM
Originally Posted By: KY Jon
Went to my third Dove field yesterday, only to find out others had been there and shot it before us. Takes balls to shoot a field, that is posted, without permission. They did it.

So I called the game warden for that county. Asked him if he had checked anyone hunting on my Hall Road Dove field. Guess what, he had. They told him that day that they did have permission, so he just checked their bag limits, guns and licenses. He was even more pissed than I was. He hates to have people lie to him about stuff like that. Can not blame him for that. In this state you must carry written permission to deer hunt on property you do not own but not to bird hunt.

Bad thing for them is that he knows four of them by name. He paid a visit to two of them today and served them a "happy day citation". He just called and said he had the entire list of ten people who hunted that day. Says that he did check ten people. They all are getting a "happy day citation" from him. Asked me if I wanted to press charges for trespassing as well. Yep I said.

If you can't read a sign you are stupid but if you lie to a game warden, who knows you by name, you are double dumb as heck. I intend to get the entire list of names and make sure that they are never invited to hunt on my property. I do let locals hunt with me sometimes, especially kids but have no interest in them hunting without me or without my permission.

Hope you burn them, Jon. Trespassers ruin hunting for everyone else, and they feel all happy that they got what they wanted for themselves. It is a form of theft. What irks me is we, probably like you, prepare a couple areas all year long. Get everything just right for opening day of deer season. And then someone, or some people, just have to try to sneak through, which ruins the hunting there for the entire week. Last year a guy and a little kid snuck through us, shot a dinky buck on the state forest above us, and then the guy tried to drag it right past all of our stands on our ground. I made him drag the beast all the way back up hill to the state ground and then take it out on a steep hillside almost parallel with our boundary for a long way. His little boy was standing there trying to comprehend what was going on. Meanwhile, my own teenage son is sitting there on stand below us watching deer fleeing off of us. The guy was given a choice to leave the deer, in which case I was calling the Game Commission, keep going through us, in which case I was going to beat the snot out of him and then call the Game Commission, or he could drag it out legal. He was all happy with his kill until confronted. He ruined our hunting for days, ruined my boy's hunt, after he had taken off school to be there. We wait all year long for just a few days to hunt, and these losers, these bums, these selfish guys (always guys, never gals) just have to trespass. God knows why. There are two million acres of public land right around us here, with all kinds of great access and huge bucks. But nope, it is like a Posted sign is a magnet to some people. Thankfully, Pennsylvania got a much stronger trespassing law enacted last year, now in force this year. Anyhow, I share your pain, Jon, and I hope you fry the guys.
Posted By: Pete Re: I got poached, again. - 10/02/20 01:44 AM
Back in the 90's we had a problem with a poacher. My neighbor has 120 acres and I have 16. We are surrounded by National Forest with me bordering on 3 sides. A strange vehicle with no lights came down my road one night and found it was dead end at my place and hot rodded out when I came out with a gun. Strange vehicle. Looked like a jeep but much taller. Another night the young guys living at my neighbor's place tried to race it down but got their window shot out. Wrong guys to mess with. One had an AR and the other a mini 14 both with multiple 30 round clips. They found the vehicle a week later with the owner away from it probably boning out a deer. They put 200 rounds through it (200 coming out, too). Never came back.
Posted By: pamtnman Re: I got poached, again. - 10/02/20 01:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Pete
Back in the 90's we had a problem with a poacher. My neighbor has 120 acres and I have 16. We are surrounded by National Forest with me bordering on 3 sides. A strange vehicle with no lights came down my road one night and found it was dead end at my place and hot rodded out when I came out with a gun. Strange vehicle. Looked like a jeep but much taller. Another night the young guys living at my neighbor's place tried to race it down but got their window shot out. Wrong guys to mess with. One had an AR and the other a mini 14 both with multiple 30 round clips. They found the vehicle a week later with the owner away from it probably boning out a deer. They put 200 rounds through it (200 coming out, too). Never came back.

Unfortunately, country justice is the only justice many of us will get and it is the only thing many trespassers understand. I have held two trespassers at gunpoint for the troopers, and it is a bad experience all around. Very uncomfortable. Each time the trooper has backed me up, because the trespasser(s) is/are armed and have left their vehicle parked under a Posted sign etc, they have been warned etc. Defiant trespass. I really do not understand why people do it in places where there is an abundance of public land.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: I got poached, again. - 10/02/20 01:02 PM
I have had to confront poachers in my dove fields before, too. I live about 8 miles from a WMA and one guy (group of two) claimed he was on the WMA. I had a loaded shotgun and stayed in sight of both guys as we spoke. When I told him it was my land and he was trespassing he turned toward me with his gun. I purposefully moved mine towards him. He got the message and they left. Nothing escalated.

Fishing trespassers usually are not the potential danger. But once, my brother called and asked if I had given two guys permission to be in one of our small lakes. I said no, and asked the location, which was very near my house. It was cool, so I slipped on a jacket and put a .38 Special in the right jacket pocket. I walked up the highway about 1/4 mile to where a truck with an adjacent county tag was parked in the ditch. It appeared to be their vehicle. I broke weed stems and wedged them in the valve stems, letting all the air out of all four tires, then stepped into the woods. Making my way silently towards the water I soon saw them fishing from the bank. Between them they had 5 rods, AIR, in the water baited up. A stringer was stuck in the bank. I was within spitting distance before I spoke, startling them. They were two very fit and strong black guys. I asked who told them they could fish here. He replied he was told it was a public fishing area. I told him it wasn't, that it was mine and that they had to leave. They began reeling in. I asked what was on the stringer. He pulled it up and it held several bass and bream. I told him to take them off and throw them back in the water. He hesitated at that like he wanted to buck me. I had moved up to within 10 feet of him, and turned my back towards him partially, making sure he saw my hand on the butt of the S & W. He looked down and saw it and began throwing them back. He said that the last one on the stringer was already dead. I told him to throw him back too, that the cooters had to have something to eat.

They left, and I stayed there a few minutes. I heard the truck crank, and pull off, then immediately idle back and stop. I smiled to myself, and turned towards home another way.

Don't ever go without heat when riding around like this. Situations arise at the most unexpected times. If you aren't heeled, it could cost you your life. "Country ain't country no more". Drugs have changed the whole world.

SRH
Posted By: pamtnman Re: I got poached, again. - 10/02/20 01:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan

Don't ever go without heat when riding around like this. Situations arise at the most unexpected times. If you aren't heeled, it could cost you your life. "Country ain't country no more". Drugs have changed the whole world.

SRH

The truth
Posted By: Chuck H Re: I got poached, again. - 10/09/20 01:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan

SRH

I think someone posted this event here in the past. But it just came to trial evidently.
https://www.themeateater.com/conservatio...illed-6-hunters
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: I got poached, again. - 10/09/20 09:48 PM
A chilling, but timely reminder for those of us who may find ourselves confronting poachers, or thieves, or worse. You are who will determine if you live or die. Speaking calmly, and not in a belligerent manner that causes a mentally unstable person to go ballistic, will go far. Avoiding a face to face confrontation is the best, if possible. But, if you find yourself in a potentially deadly situation, you rely upon your prior training and self-preservation mindset.

As I once heard Grandad say, "It's better to be judged by 12 than be carried by 6."

Thanks, Chuck. I didn't remember that incident.

Best, SRH
Posted By: KY Jon Re: I got poached, again. - 10/10/20 08:57 PM
Got an update from the game warden. All but two have paid their tickets. Couple were really claiming they were angry because they were told they had permission The to who till are out are going to lawyer up. Any trial may have to wait if they need my testimony. Under the Covid bug and it has whipped me out.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: I got poached, again. - 10/10/20 09:27 PM
Justice is another dish even better served cold. Maybe for Christmas or Valentines day...Geo. Newbern

"Lock her up"
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: I got poached, again. - 10/11/20 12:58 AM
Thanks for the update, Jon.

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com