doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bob Cash Belly Up! A Different Kind of Double - 10/13/20 03:37 AM
First time smoking a Pork Belly.
As you can plainly see it's a Double so I'm good to go on this website.

Smoked 7 hours on Hickory, 10 spice dry run.

Double thick sliced.

Posted By: ed good Re: Belly Up! A Different Kind of Double - 10/13/20 11:07 AM
yum, yum...
That's the location of some of the finest tasting meat on a pig. For nearly twenty years I would cook a whole hog on a huge cooker for a homecoming celebration, over oak coals. The head would be removed and the backbone split so the whole carcass could lay flat like a butterfly. Takes 5-6 hours of slow cooking to do this. It was served on the cooker and guests would bring a plate and cut off what they wanted. It is called in the South a "Pig Pickin". The belly meat and the ribs would be the first parts to go.

Yours looks great, Bob.

SRH
"Pork bellies-- I knew it" Where does the term "High on the hog" come from- wouldn't the belly be"Low on the hog"?? RWTF
The tenderloin I guess, Francis.

SRH
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Belly Up! A Different Kind of Double - 10/13/20 12:42 PM
Only in Kali'forni'kation can they get excited over a slab of bacon....

Most people from the south know the best hog meat is from the jowls.
Posted By: gunsaholic Re: Belly Up! A Different Kind of Double - 10/13/20 12:55 PM
Ya just need some head cheese spread to go with it!
Never done it either, Bob. Curious, was that a single belly that you split, or two separate cuts of pork?

Steak and shrimp on the grille tonight. Momma is painting the boy’s bedroom, want to do something nice for her.

Best,
Ted
Not hog jowl, but, not bad:

Momma put down her paint brush, and had a plate of chow with me.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Belly Up! A Different Kind of Double - 10/14/20 12:50 AM
Hot coals, indirect heat, I like it!
The steak was seared first, then the coals were moved to the side, and the damp apple wood went on the coals, and the shrimp and peppers went on, with the top vent mostly closed. The steak had to suffer through some smoke, but, it was all good.

We had a salad, and Momma’s medium grain rice, cooked in chicken stock, with smoked paprika, and a nice, cheap, Sangria.

Good to see you are eating well, Bob.

Best,
Ted
Good chow indeed, Tedster- Only charcoal can do justice to grilling- Was, by any chance, your Missus using a Purdy paintbrush for her room renovation job? Not quite a Purdey, but close. TWTF
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Belly Up! A Different Kind of Double - 10/14/20 08:23 PM

Here's another Fine Double. Twin 8 lb "Butts"
It's 1pm on the gold coast. I'll smoke these over Hickory til 9pm.
Then I'll wrap and roast overnight at 205 degrees and harvest at 5am.

What time is supper?
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Belly Up! A Different Kind of Double - 10/15/20 01:47 PM
4:30 am, by the light of a silvery moon

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com