doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: goosedowner Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 01:54 PM
Im trying to find decent shooting gloves for late fall, early winter hunting with a double trigger gun. All the ones I can find locally seem to be to bulky.
Looking for recommendations.
Thanks
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 02:14 PM
Orvis makes a leather/wool shooting glove that is very nice.

I don't do tactical.

Thin leather, check out Sam's club for Plainsman brand.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 03:05 PM
For late season hunting in Iowa where temperatures can be far below freezing and winds are always high, there is no place for the thin leather shooting glove, not even Thinsulate lined. I have found that fleece or knit synthetic gloves, always with some form of wind stopper, are far superior. And I always use double trigger guns.

My current favorites are made by OR (Outdoor Research?). You can find them at places like REI.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 03:11 PM
You're from up north you should be giving us recommendations....
Posted By: Borderbill Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 03:27 PM
I bought some Bob Allen gloves last year both insulated and non insulated from https://www.everythingupland.com The non insulated were very fine and fit well. Though I'm a single trigger guy they should do well with a double trigger.
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 06:15 PM
Sealskinz are pretty good and come in various levels of insulation.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 07:14 PM
Though I'm not a glove man the Bob Allen uninsulated ones worked well for me on a couple trips to Argentina. I soon wore through the trigger finger leather, but just cut the whole thing off at the second joint and then they lasted a long time.

SRH
Posted By: teeny350 Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 08:35 PM
Gripswell are the best I've found for clays and field.
Posted By: Borderbill Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 09:19 PM
Also... when I was shooting a lot of registered Trap I wore a left hand glove only. I'd buy a bunch of golfers gloves and as they wore out I'd toss them. Less expensive than "shooting gloves".
Posted By: goosedowner Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 09:31 PM
A friend of mine also uses golf gloves on his shooting hand and a heavier glove on his non shooting one. He likes them because they are tight on his trigger finger.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 10:00 PM
You guys must not hunt in cold weather. Nothing worse than tight leather on a cold day. It restricts blood flow while offering almost no insulation to retard conductive heat loss to cold gun parts.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 10:45 PM
I don't hunt when it's below the mid-teens. That's when I drift for ducks on the creek. Don't use gloves because my hands are constantly getting wet. The teens probably isn't considered cold by northern standards.

SRH
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 11:45 PM
I have found winter baseball gloves to be great. But I don’t hunt in real cold weather. Been there done that—60 years ago.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 11:57 PM
Give these a try
Free shipping

Copy and paste below link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Army-WOOL-GLOVE-INSERTS-Liners-Coyote-Brown-USGI-US-Military-GI-XL-NEW/392536368419?hash=item5b64fda523:g:5e4AAOSwKOpdzaKg
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/25/20 11:59 PM
I hunt in cold weather. Ptarmigan north of Fairbanks AK. Dec-Feb count? Chuks at 7k+ in Dec-Feb count? I hunted Sharptails today in a 17 mph north wind and a temp of 11°. I use cheap Rawlins baseball gloves. Anything thicker is too difficult to work a double triggered gun and with a single trigger o/u...you sometimes don’t let the trigger reset. I don’t have circulation problems though like some of you might have. That helps.
The last time I used thick gloves, I had a OR mitten on one hand and a Black Diamond “pilot” glove on my trigger hand. That was Kansas a couple years ago and it was absolutely stupid outside. Shouldn’t have even gone out that day. Plenty of years hunting Nebraska in Dec-Jan with nothing more than a ratty pair of nomex pilot gloves or baseball gloves.

Duck hunting....I wear a thin pair of glacier neoprene gloves. Plenty warm. My decoy gloves are much bulkier and thicker though.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/26/20 02:03 PM
I believe those of us who work outdoors and work with our hands, have a distinct advantage when it comes to keeping our fingers and toes warm in the late season.

I know my friends that are on heart meds and what not, all say that they are cold in their extremities and it doesn’t seem to matter what they do, other than make sure they have an ample supply of heat packets available.

With the Orvis wool and leather shooting gloves, once the fingers are broken in, I have no trouble at all operating double triggers. They really are a nice glove.

But again I probably have Fisherman’s hands, so perhaps my hands automatically warm them selves up a little more than some when I am outdoors. Like I am today, sharp tail hunting in the snow at 32°. So it’s cold and wet. But I’m not. And my hands are hot.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/26/20 02:09 PM
These are the gloves I use and they beat anything with leather, hands down (bad, but intentional pun). Extremely double-trigger friendly.

https://www.rei.com/product/102197/outdoor-research-flurry-sensor-gloves-mensm

Clapper, my hands get hot in 32 degree weather after a couple miles. But if I don't have good gloves the first couple miles can be miserable if it's colder than that and windy. Then they never seem to catch up.
Posted By: FelixD Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/26/20 02:23 PM
The Midwest home improvement store, Menards, has sold an inexpensive goat skin glove I’ve been using for years. The glove comes in sizes and wears well. They sell for about $9 a pair and I usually buy two pairs at a time. I get about three years of weekly shooting out a pair.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/26/20 04:26 PM
When it is really cold I will wear a heavier glove on my left hand and carry the gun in that hand between points. the right one will have a lighter glove that has some insulation and is windproof. Nothing tight to slow circulation. Keeping your wrist warm and out of the wind is more important than you may think. 24 years as a mail carrier on walking routes at straight temps down to -20 will teach you some tricks. When you get in the truck to move, if it's warm enough to take off your gloves, sit on them to keep them warm.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/26/20 04:31 PM
Speaking of keeping the wrist warm, a glove with a long cuff that will allow a small zippo hand warmer works really well when it gets gnarly out there.
Posted By: Ol'Forester Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/26/20 05:12 PM
I miss the "Morris Feel Gloves" that Walmart and Bass Pro Shop used to sell. Wool with leather palm and nylon finger tips. Were warm when wet, briars would eat them up after 2 or 3 years. Hunted many years with them.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/26/20 08:19 PM
Take a look at some of the mechanics gloves in an auto supply store. Some of them might just fill the ticket. I bought a pair recently for auto type work and think they would be good for shooting if the trigger finger portion were cut off.
Posted By: docbill Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/26/20 10:12 PM
I use baseball batting/golf gloves if its not too cold. If it is pretty cold, a military thermal liner inside a military wool liner and a golf glove on shooting hand. I always wear long wool cuffs on my wrists in any sort of cold weather, as Brent says it REALLY helps.
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/27/20 01:24 AM
Military flight gloves are good for those colder days also the black tanker glove. Your military surplus sales may have them.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/27/20 01:27 AM
While it won't work for upland hunting (usually) a fleece or knit, wind-stopper glove inside an insulated leather chopper or snowmobile mitt is toasty warm, with ample room for a zippo heater. They are easily flipped off or simply dropped off when shooting is imminent.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/27/20 03:14 PM
I have a pair of the insulated leather Grip-Swell gloves that I use in colder weather with double trigger guns. Not sure that they even make them anymore, but these have held up beautifully and do an exceptional job.
Posted By: Hoof Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/27/20 11:02 PM
I'm jumping on to this thread late and may have missed this already, but I use equestrian gloves. They hold up forever, and are even reinforced in the right spots.
CHAZ
Posted By: TCN Re: Shooting gloves?? - 10/28/20 03:54 PM
I use the Filson goatskin gloves for hunting. I buy them small, they stretch perfectly, and last quite a while. I think I'm on season 4 with my current pair, and they look terrible but function well.

When it's a bit colder, I switch to the Laksen London gloves, which fit a bit more like a shooting glove than a hunting glove. They are beautiful, but tough to find in the US.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com