doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Perazzi rib relay - 10/31/20 12:45 AM
The top rib popped loose on my 31 1/2" barreled MX8 on station one, last round I shot. Called my trusted friend and trigger man, Don Rackley, to see if he did that type work. He said no, but recommended Dan Lokker at Giaccomo Sporting in NY. I talked with them this morning.

Does anyone here have any experience using Giaccomo for rib relaying, and re-blue of course?

SRH
Posted By: Researcher Re: Perazzi rib relay - 10/31/20 01:01 AM
Art's in Missouri has a video on him relaying a Perazzi rib. He did the rib on my favorite 20-gauge Superposed.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Perazzi rib relay - 10/31/20 02:39 AM
Giaccomo did a major tune-up on my MT-6 a few years ago and I was well pleased with the result. No rib work however.

DDA
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Perazzi rib relay - 10/31/20 10:49 AM
Yes, years ago when the old man was in charge. Had a MX12 changed from case color to blue and a new set of barrels fitted.
Fantastic job
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: Perazzi rib relay - 10/31/20 01:35 PM
Stan, you might call Rich Cole as well. Rich is authorized Perazzi service and is every bit as accomplished with them as he is with Beretta. If he can’t, he’ll give you an excellent recommendation.
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Perazzi rib relay - 10/31/20 03:15 PM
The guys mentioned do good work. Giaccomo charged $600 the last time I checked. Philip in TX was chargeing 300 the last time I checked. He does great work using a special fixture. Give him a call 210 313 5988.

bill
Posted By: Mark II Re: Perazzi rib relay - 10/31/20 04:25 PM
Just FYI Perazzi ribs are soft soldered on like sxs guns and need to be rust blued.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Perazzi rib relay - 10/31/20 05:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark II
Just FYI Perazzi ribs are soft soldered on like sxs guns and need to be rust blued.

Not all SxS barrels are soft soldered and not all SxS barrels are rust blued.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Perazzi rib relay - 10/31/20 06:11 PM
Giacomo sporting will do it right. No worries there save the bill.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Perazzi rib relay - 10/31/20 06:34 PM
Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Originally Posted By: Mark II

Not all SxS barrels are soft soldered and not all SxS barrels are rust blued.

Very True.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Perazzi rib relay - 10/31/20 11:29 PM
When Don Rackley recommends someone I pay close attention. This thread was not to verify his opinion of Lokker at Giacomo but to see what others had experienced there. I talked with them about it, as I said, and they told me it was not necessary to send the entire gun unless I wanted POI changed. I DON'T!!!! I hope and pray they can maintain the exact POI each barrel has now. It's perfect. $590 for the rib relay and re-blue.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

SRH
Posted By: Buzz Re: Perazzi rib relay - 11/01/20 12:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
When Don Rackley recommends someone I pay close attention. This thread was not to verify his opinion of Lokker at Giacomo but to see what others had experienced there. I talked with them about it, as I said, and they told me it was not necessary to send the entire gun unless I wanted POI changed. I DON'T!!!! I hope and pray they can maintain the exact POI each barrel has now. It's perfect. $590 for the rib relay and re-blue.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

SRH
Very reasonable imho. If it were the bottom rib they would have to regulate, I’m guessing, and more expensive?? If top rib came loose, side ribs may be suspect too??
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Perazzi rib relay - 11/01/20 12:51 AM
I dunno Buzz. They look really good to me, but who knows what might happen when they do the top one.

Well, I've shot it hard for 15 years with no repairs. After this is done it'll probably outlast me. I've been shooting it really good lately. I just hate to be without it for the repairs. Maybe they won't have too bad a backlog, but it is what it is.

SRH
Posted By: Willieb Re: Perazzi rib relay - 11/02/20 01:34 AM
Stan.
While I’ve never had a rib to shoot loose I have had a bad bend in the rib of my MX20 that they repaired and had to reblue the barrels. They did a great job and was reasonable on the time line. Can’t remember exactly how long, but if it had been very long I definitely would remember.

Giacomo has also fitted different barrels on guns for me and other work. Overall I’m a satisfied customer.

If I had one complaint it would be the first person you talk with when you call. Not very helpful nor knowledgeable. Also don’t bother emailing. Seems she doesn’t check emails but every couple of weeks.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Perazzi rib relay - 11/02/20 11:29 AM
Thanks, Willie. The young lady's name, I talked with, was Marissa. She seemed very helpful. I asked her if it was necessary to send the whole gun. She at first said "Yes", but when I pressed her a bit on that she said she would ask someone. She came right back and said that unless I wanted the POI changed I wouldn't need to send the action. I was very pleased to hear that. Then I asked her to email me their mailing address, which she did immediately. Maybe they've got somebody new ....... I dunno.

I really appreciate your comments. I had heard from one guy that the quality of work had deteriorated since the Giaccomo the younger took over. I was suspect of his criticism however, as he tends to be a bit hard to please.

I'll be packaging it up today to send out.

Tell me about that MX20. Barrel lengths? I'll bet it's your dove gun?

All my best, SRH
Posted By: Willieb Re: Perazzi rib relay - 11/02/20 01:00 PM
Love the MX 20. Ordered it to my measurements. Waited close to a year, but it was worth it. Three barrel set. 20,28 and 410, all 29 1/2 inches. Also have a MX8/20 3 barrel set of 33”. I had these barrels fitted to both guns.

I wanted an all purpose pair of guns and so far they have fit the order. Shoot clays with the MX8/20, most often with the 33’ 28ga and use the MX20 for hunting.

Yes the MX20 Iis a dove killing machine. But it also serves well on quail with the 28ga for wild birds. Have also used it for Huns, Sharptails, Sage Grouse and Wood Ducks.

I have shot a bunch of doves with the 33” 410 barrels and bought a second set strictly for the MX20. Ordered them last October and they didn’t get here in time for the early season, but they are ready for the coming season. Can’t wait.
Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: Perazzi rib relay - 11/02/20 02:58 PM
I've only had Dan do that kind of work once, but the quality of the work and turnaround were outstanding. I wish he worked on other guns, too.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Perazzi rib relay - 11/02/20 05:03 PM
Thanks for that. I'm feeling better and better about using them.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Perazzi rib relay - 11/02/20 11:46 PM
That sounds like some kinda sweet bird gun. 33" barrels on a .410!! I'd love to try that one out on doves. Did you spring for any upgrades on the wood, or engraving?

Thanks, SRH
Posted By: Willieb Re: Perazzi rib relay - 11/02/20 11:58 PM
Went to SC2 wood and it turned out really well.
Standard grade no engraving.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Perazzi rib relay - 11/03/20 12:12 AM
Exactly what I would've done. Nice wood first.

Best, SRH
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Perazzi rib relay - 11/03/20 01:16 PM
Stan have you checked with Steve Bertram our resident hippie gun fArmer ?

I'm betting after two or three attempts he could fix your loose rib....

Might pay to check postage and insurance prices.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Perazzi rib relay - 03/12/21 12:11 PM
Update on the MX-8 rib relay.

Received the gun back yesterday in top notch condition. It took four months but Marissa(secretary?) was very good about answering my questions. Covid19 slowed the work considerably, due to illnesses and quarantines in their shop force. Everything about the barrel set looks new, now. The rib work appears perfect, the rust bluing is very nice. I intend to pattern it on my grease plate this afternoon, before shooting a round of clays with it tomorrow morning, to verify that the regulation and pattern placement was not changed. They made a note on the invoice that pattern placement was requested to remain exactly the same, and noted that they achieved that. We'll see this afternoon ..........
Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: Perazzi rib relay - 03/12/21 08:20 PM
I had a side rib come loose on my Mirage years ago at the Grand. The last day or so of the shoot, I gave the gun to Dan Lokker. As I recall, I got the gun back, complete with new blue, the following Friday. It was done right and is still shooting as of two days ago.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Perazzi rib relay - 03/14/21 10:35 PM
Did the POI stay the same Stan? I’m glad the rust blue job suits you.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Perazzi rib relay - 03/14/21 11:53 PM
I shot an 86/100 with it at sporting Saturday morning buzz, on a medium difficulty course, but have not had the chance to shoot my plate with it yet. Hopefully in the next day or two. I'll report back on it when I do.

There's one issue I don't like the looks of, that I noticed while shooting yesterday. I'll report on that too, after I shoot the plate.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Perazzi rib relay - 03/17/21 12:14 AM
Well, it went to the plate today and the results were satisfactory. Dead on at 16 yds, top and bottom.

Looks like I'm left with no excuse for missing with it.

To be entirely transparent about the work, there is one problem that should not be. The top rib that was resoldered is not perfectly straight. It was perfectly straight when it left my shop, but is not now. It has a minute, very minute, curve to it. Honestly, it is so minute that many would never notice it. But, I have a pre-shot routine that includes mounting the gun and looking down the rib to ensure that the two beads are perfectly aligned. When I do that I notice that the rib isn't perfectly straight. Being a Libra doesn't help any, either. I can learn to ignore that as long as I now know that the patterns print where they should, because after the pre-shot routine I don't look at the rib or muzzle, I look at the bird.

Pretty much end of story. After a lifetime of dealing with breakdowns, on equipment and machinery of all kinds, I have come to accept them, mostly, with grace. Guns are no different. It happens .......
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com