doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 2Beards AyA vs. RBl - 11/02/20 03:50 PM
Ok guys, need some advise here. I've been out of the acquiring game for a long while. I've got some funds set aside and looking to get an upgrade to my current line up.

Currently toying with the idea of either an AyA N04 or a new RBL in 20.
I know that there were some issues with the RBL when they first rolled them out, where these resolved?

I've had the chance to get my hands on a N04 Deluxe and really liked the feel, however I was really intrigued with the RBL back when they were first introduced, just haven't had a chance to handle one.

Bear in mind that this will be a "go to" field gun for upland.

Thoughts?
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/02/20 04:03 PM
Miles of difference between those two shotguns.

Don’t forget to factor in steel ready or not in your decision.

You will probably find the grip on the RBL much larger than on the AYA.
Posted By: 2Beards Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/02/20 04:14 PM
Miles difference in quality, finish etc..or difference in feel, balance?

Are the barrels in the AYA chromed? Steel shot is not usually a factor, however there are some areas where I live that require steel shot, due to proximity to wetlands.

Probably should have thrown in that I'm shopping in the 5k range.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/02/20 04:31 PM
They are considerably different from each other.

One weighs 6 pounds the other one weighs 7 pounds.
One has changeable chokes the other one will be fixed. All kinds of things.

I’m not saying one is better than the other. All I’m saying is that they are different. I’m pretty confident you will have a preference for one over the other.

If you can’t get your hands on one, do a three day inspection turn around. Of you’re willing to spend five grand, you should be willing to spend 75 bucks to be sure which one you like.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/02/20 06:02 PM
I would rather have this than either of those two you mentioned. Call JEG and ask about availability in 20 ga.

https://www.joeletchenguns.com/new-guns/fausti/dea-side-by-side

JR
Posted By: bushveld Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/02/20 06:22 PM
The best of the Spanish sxs shotguns of the last 20 or so years were built in the early part of this century, i.e. 2000 to 2004 years or there about.

Neither the AyA no. 4 or the RBL is equal (or even close in quality and value) to what you can find in a well taken care of used AyA no 2 or an Arietta 578. For example I went to Gunsinternational.com just now and pulled up this AyA no 2
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101534960
Posted By: Replacement Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/02/20 08:11 PM
For that money, you could find a pretty nice used Spanish sidelock. I have an Uggie 20ga sidelock with 30" barrels that is pretty sweet. Nicer than my RBL 20. Don't have an AyA for comparison.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/02/20 08:33 PM
2Beards,
Have you considered a Merkel 20 ga. E or EL which would fit your price range? Steel shot compatible and well built. I have them in 12, 20 and 28 and have been very happy with them.
Good luck and enjoy your search.
Karl
Posted By: 2Beards Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/02/20 08:42 PM
Had a nice little Uggie years ago, choked a little too open for the shooting I do, so I let it go. Been having a hard time finding any on the market, but probably should do some more digging.

Looked at the Merkle's as well, they're definitely on the list.

From the responses, I'm guessing there aren't a whole lot of fans of the RBL's, for that price range?
Posted By: Jalo Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/02/20 08:51 PM
The AyA no 4 Deluxe has different kind of steel in its barrels than the basic model has. That probably has some effect on the balance. Cheap spanish guns are notorious for having soft steel in their barrels. In the UK many people use steel shot in their AyA basic model no 4s.
Posted By: builder Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/02/20 10:11 PM
A 20g. RBL should be bought used in like new condition in the low $3K range. I did not care for mine and sold it however the fit and finish were pretty darn good. It was light and was a great hunting gun. I bought a 28g. RBL which I love.
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/02/20 11:54 PM
I have both guns. As most have stated, both guns are different. And personal preference on point ability and feel.
I am a big AYA fan for upland hunting. I would be surprised If I have a total of 200 rounds through the RBL. The AYAs have several thousand rounds through them. I would lean hard too acquire a No2 in 20 or 28 gauge.
Great little upland gun.
Good luck in your search. Keep us posted on your selection.

Rich
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/03/20 12:07 AM
Since you said you are "toying with the idea" of either the AYA or the RBL, I'll stick my neck out and suggest that, before you write the check, you look hard at the Italian offerings. The Fausti that JR mentioned is one of many great options there. You may have done all your homework on the Spanish guns. If so, good. But being as ignorant of Spanish guns as I am, I'd be very reticent to go after one when I could have a very good Italian double for the same money. And, in my opinion, have much less chance of getting a lemon.

I have five Italian made shotguns, by three makers, and love them all.

Just food for thought. Here's hoping you make the best choice for you.

SRH
Posted By: Replacement Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/03/20 12:23 AM
Quote:
From the responses, I'm guessing there aren't a whole lot of fans of the RBL's, for that price range?

A mint RBL 20 at $3K is a good value. At $5K, not so much. I have RBLs in 20/28" and 28/30". Good guns for the money.

Re Stan's suggestion about Italian doubles, there are some good values out there in V. Bernardellis, Berettas, and FAIRs, but they can be tough to find. And maybe Faustis. Rizzinis can get pricey. I have a 20ga Beretta 426E, and it is the only one I have ever seen, but it is very well made, maybe a bit heavy.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/03/20 12:41 AM
Neither.

Of course, I don't know what you have in inventory.

A Beretta O/U in 20 gauge is essential for inventory.

You might look at the Browning Citori CXS in 20 gauge.

Either gun is reliable and serviceable should it ever require it from more than once source.

I do recommend B. Rizzini also. Their 20ga. SxS guns are very good.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/03/20 12:53 AM
B. Rizzinis are very good ......... FAIR is Isidoro Rizzini (Fabbrica Armi Isidoro Rizzini). In addition to the names Replacement listed there is also Poli in your price range.

It's not a S X S but likely the last shotgun I'd sell is my Beretta 687 SP II Sporting 20 ga.

You just don't have the potential for getting a gun with soft sears, etc., in Italian guns like you do Spanish. I'm not bashing Spanish guns in general. I'd buy one if I could be certain it was built right with good steels. There's just a steep learning curve with them.

JMHO, SRH

Posted By: PaGrouser Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/03/20 03:07 AM
Look at the B Rizzini Br 550 & 552. Both are very nice guns.

I have an RBL 20, with BT and PG at 6lb 7 oz. It is a very nice gun.
Posted By: 2Beards Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/03/20 01:39 PM
Well gentlemen, you've given me a bit to consider and I thank you for it...the search continues..
Posted By: riflegunbuilder Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/06/20 02:31 AM
I have an AYA and a 20 RBL. AYA is a sidelock and a nice gun. RBL had to go back 3 times to CSM to correct issues. RBL is a decent gun but if I was going again I would spend the money on a used Spanish gun, CSM got all of my money they ever will on one purchase.
Posted By: Rocketman Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/08/20 02:54 AM
You might consider a used Brit boxlock ejector by a Brand Value level 3 maker, Original Quality grade 5 (best work BLE), and in slightly used Current Condition level 2.

BV3 - OQ5 - CC2 = $4208

If you have concerns about direct participation in a UK auction, strike a deal with Toby Barclay for representation and guidance.
Posted By: 2Beards Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/09/20 07:42 PM
Update:

Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up getting my hands on a new Rizzin Br550 in a 16/20 combination. Maybe not entirely practical but having a 16 is something I've always been interested in. Was able to take it out over the weekend for the pheasant opener and really liked how it felt and performed. Not as dainty in feel as some of the Spanish guns that I've been able to get my hands on, but being able to check it out in person and having the dealer in state gave me some much needed peace of mind.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/09/20 08:51 PM
Good choice. I certainly like my Rizzini.

Tip: The forend latch push button shaft is (unless they changed them) threaded into the forend iron and held with a set screw.

I recall it's a 1.5mm hex drive set screw.

Recommend that you obtain a wrench in that size, remove the set screw and Locktite it in place.

Mine did work itself loose and I simply got lucky that it wasn't lost.

They are a good gun, and should it ever need service these guns are fixable without having to find (and wait for) some guru. Cole's for instance can attend to any problem with a Rizzini.

Not that you're likely to have problems, but service for stuff that's hand made and out of production and from another continent isn't getting any easier to find and people who can fix such stuff sometimes have their own timetable where months become years.

Good luck!
Posted By: 2Beards Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/10/20 02:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the set screw, I'll look into it.
Posted By: troutchops Re: AyA vs. RBl - 11/18/20 07:05 PM
Late to the game. I own an AYA Deluxe No 4 and have owned a RBL. The AYA Deluxe No 4 is a pretty rare gun here in the US, as it's a "best" quality boxlock. The current cost is close to 10K I believe. The RBL was an attempt at an Ithaca/SKB sxs. The cheapie engraving on the RBL was displeasing to my eye. The RBL was quickly sent down the road. My 2 cents, don't spend it all at once.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com