doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Do not try to bend a Darne. - 11/21/20 03:26 PM
That steel bolt you see in the remains of this Darne actually has wood screw threads, further down in the stock, that you can’t see.
Attempting to bend a Darne results in pictures like these.
Don’t do it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/880381039

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Do not try to bend a Darne. - 11/21/20 04:02 PM
Darn good advice, Tedster-RWTF
Posted By: GLS Re: Do not try to bend a Darne. - 11/21/20 05:43 PM
The starting bid on that gun is usually the ending of a 12 ga. R10 without the stock damage. Nothing wrong with that stock that a half pint can of plastic wood and duct tape couldn't cure. wink Gil
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Do not try to bend a Darne. - 11/21/20 06:16 PM
Would look good in Geo’s garden...

Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Do not try to bend a Darne. - 11/21/20 08:32 PM
Did someone attempt to bend it, or was it hit or dropped ? That wrist looks awful short to be bending.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Do not try to bend a Darne. - 11/21/20 08:32 PM
Did someone attempt to bend it, or was it hit or dropped ? That wrist looks awful short to be bending.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Do not try to bend a Darne - 11/21/20 08:40 PM
Originally Posted By: GLS
The starting bid on that gun is usually the ending of a 12 ga. R10 without the stock damage. Nothing wrong with that stock that a half pint can of plastic wood and duct tape couldn't cure. wink Gil

Ain’t that the truth.

As to exactly how this one broke, I have no clue, nor does it really matter for our class today.
It is an attempt at a restock, which, astute Darne guys already know, because the full pistol grip thing doesn’t happen on a factory Darne stock.The photo just very clearly illustrates what the end result of an attempt at bending would be.

That Blacker guy in England could have made Geo’s Boss the talk of the town.

Just sayin’.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: K Crowley Re: Do not try to bend a Darne. - 11/24/20 03:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
That steel bolt you see in the remains of this Darne actually has wood screw threads, further down in the stock, that you can’t see.
Attempting to bend a Darne results in pictures like these.
Don’t do it.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/880381039

Best,
Ted

Ted, any idea if Charlins have the same type of bolt? Thanks!
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Do not try to bend a Darne. - 11/24/20 09:54 PM
They do not.

That said, I am always very hesitant to bend a stock that is difficult to replace. A Charlin is right there with a Darne, in that regard.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: K Crowley Re: Do not try to bend a Darne. - 11/24/20 11:44 PM
They do not.

That said, I am always very hesitant to bend a stock that is difficult to replace. A Charlin is right there with a Darne, in that regard.

Best,
Ted

Thanks. Sorry to hear that Charlins are tough to restock, too. I know of one that needs new wood.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Do not try to bend a Darne. - 11/25/20 12:56 AM
Originally Posted By: K Crowley
They do not.

Best,
Ted

Thanks. Sorry to hear that Charlins are tough to restock, too. I know of one that needs new wood.

It is a sad truth that almost everyone knows of one or two that need new wood.

A Darne is not a hard gun to stock, or, restock, if you know what you are doing. The hard part is drilling the big hole that takes the big wood screw that retains the stock.
At the factory, the guys had a rack of turned blanks, the heading up was mostly done, ready to go into the lathe that was fixtured to drill the hole. My gun got a raw blank, but was stocked and ready to checker in a few hours.
If I was looking for a winter project, I’d look for a Charlin before a Darne. But, either gun is a bit above what I think an amateur project would be.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Do not try to bend a Darne. - 11/25/20 04:52 PM
Ted:

How well do Charlins compare with Darnes? There is a 16 gauge that appeared for sale recently on Gunsinternational.com that I'm considering. It's clearly refinished and reblued by some means other than rust bluing. https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-f...un_id=101554342

I'm only interested because it's a 16 gauge, has reasonable stock dimensions and would go well with my 10 and 12 gauge Darnes.

Thanks.

Rem
Posted By: Tim Carney Re: Do not try to bend a Darne. - 11/25/20 05:38 PM
Do not see a safety in the GI pix of that Charlin, Rem???? Also note that it has 2-1/2 inch chambers (65mm).

Regards, Tim
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Do not try to bend a Darne. - 11/25/20 06:59 PM
I wouldn’t buy that gun.

To your question, a Charlin is not a Darne. When they have a safety lever, that safety has a very stout little leaf spring, that makes the safety a bear to get on and off. It sounds like a minor point, but, I got rid of my Charlins over that minor point. This one is missing it’s safety lever. Not good.
You may see some internet prattle about how superior a Charlin is to a Darne, how smooth and refined the action is, and whatnot. Is is BS, usually prattled by someone who has a Charlin to sell. The “smoothness” is only a factor when the gun is cocked, and you are cycling the action for fun. When it is time to cock either gun, they take the same amount of effort, and make the same amount of noise. There is an interrupter in the opening key of a Charlin that keeps the gun from firing if it isn’t all the way closed. Good idea, but, the bolts that hold a Darne closed are already engaged before the gun can be fired. A Charlin has no bolts, it is purely an over-the-center device. If you use ammunition that is a bit too long in a short chamber Charlin, the gun will often reward you with torn off ends on the spent cases, savage recoil (same as any other light gun with the wrong ammunition) and an opening lever slightly out of battery. It can’t open at the shot (over the center device) but, that fact alone doesn’t keep guys from wetting themselves when they see it.
Use the right ammunition, and it isn’t a thing.

They are similar, but, different designs, and one really has to discover which he prefers, by using both. Some guys love ‘em, some guys (me) sold their Charlins and stuck with a Darne.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Do not try to bend a Darne. - 11/25/20 10:47 PM
Tim and Ted:

Thank you. I'll keep looking.

Rem
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com