doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: battle Leather covered pad - 12/02/20 02:45 AM
I wanted to do one with a black spacer just to see the look. The spacer is 3/8” the pad I had a spare 1/2”. The leather is pig skin. What do you guys think? Also what do you think of the skin color? I was curious how the lighter tone would contrast with the stock tone. I’ll probably dye the leather a dark reddish brown.

Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Leather covered pad - 12/02/20 03:14 AM
A darker leather would definitely help.

I don't know what you get by using a spacer instead of a thicker pad, or cutting off less wood (more wood is always more betterer, imo). I will attempt my first leather pad after pheasant season, but I'll skip the spacer.
Posted By: battle Re: Leather covered pad - 12/02/20 03:42 AM
Basically it was just practice. I’ve done a couple of these now. I always stressed over getting the leather stretched over the pad. But have learned getting the pad shaped just right is the most difficult part. I can put a thicker covered pad on without spacer no big deal.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Leather covered pad - 12/02/20 03:48 AM
Well, it looks like the leather stretching went real well, but I am not a qualified critic. I definitely agree that shaping the pad correctly is the trick. I find it hard to believe some of the bubba pads I've see out there.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Leather covered pad - 12/02/20 04:04 AM
That's a pretty good job that you did considering you used pig skin without having any wrinkles. I always used goat skin. It's a lot thinner and easier to use. Usually about 1 mil thickness.

I also always used a kick ezz pad. They're really nice to work with. If I were you I would have covered the spacer. But it still looks really nice. Good job.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Leather covered pad - 12/02/20 04:10 AM
Great first attempt, battle. I don't particularly like the covered pad with a spacer, either. The spacer detracts from the beauty of a well done pad covering, IMO.

One suggestion ..... work a little more at getting the line right on the underside of that stock spacer. It can be finish sanded some more to get the profile lines all just right.

Best, SRH
Posted By: battle Re: Leather covered pad - 12/02/20 04:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Stan
Great first attempt, battle. I don't particularly like the covered pad with a spacer, either. The spacer detracts from the beauty of a well done pad covering, IMO.

One suggestion ..... work a little more at getting the line right on the underside of that stock spacer. It can be finish sanded some more to get the profile lines all just right.

Best, SRH

LOL... ok boss.
Posted By: CJO Re: Leather covered pad - 12/06/20 01:20 PM
Originally Posted By: battle
I wanted to do one with a black spacer just to see the look. The spacer is 3/8” the pad I had a spare 1/2”. The leather is pig skin. What do you guys think? Also what do you think of the skin color? I was curious how the lighter tone would contrast with the stock tone. I’ll probably dye the leather a dark reddish brown.

That caught my eye Battle...nice job!
May I suggest "chocolate brown"?

All best

CJ
Posted By: battle Re: Leather covered pad - 12/06/20 02:18 PM
Something like this CJ...

upload
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Leather covered pad - 12/06/20 06:24 PM
I'd hide the spacer under the leather.
Posted By: battle Re: Leather covered pad - 12/06/20 11:42 PM
Yeah I know. I will next time.
Posted By: CJO Re: Leather covered pad - 12/07/20 12:52 AM
Yup ...that’s it!
And I would do as Joe suggested... join the spacer to the pad and cover them both.

CJ
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com