doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Foreign made guncases - 12/08/20 02:12 AM
I have been looking online at new guncases for sale. Tourbon appears to be made in China, as all ads for them on eBay indicate "Ships from China".

Does anyone know for certain where Jeff's Outfitters cases are made?

SRH
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/08/20 03:33 AM
Jeff’s cases are made in Mexico. Check out GDK on EBay UK. Not sure where they are made, but the quality and price is pretty good, especially the leather gun slips.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/08/20 04:40 AM
I would never buy anything on ebay that ships from China
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/08/20 12:01 PM
Originally Posted By: SXS 40
Jeff’s cases are made in Mexico. Check out GDK on EBay UK. Not sure where they are made, but the quality and price is pretty good, especially the leather gun slips.

Thanks so much. I just ordered a GDK "oak and leather" case that will handle up to 32" barrels. Could not believe the price value. Even after shipping from the UK it was a substantial savings over anything else I've seen. If the quality that is shown in the pictures is actually there it's a heckuva deal. If not, I'm not out much.

Best, SRH
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/08/20 04:13 PM
So what 32" gun will be fitted in to this new case?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/08/20 04:50 PM
Stan, that case looks exactly like a case I bought about five years ago that was made in Italy. I am very happy with it. Only regret is not buying more of them. Paid $175.00 per case delivered so about the same money. Leather is very thick and has traveled well. Hope your suits you as well as mine has.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/08/20 05:02 PM
Spend a little more and buy a Galco...

Since Mullholland stopped making gun cases Galco is the only game in town when it comes to high quality.

I currently own two Mullhollands and one from Kevins in Georgia..the Kevin's English leather gun slip is a nice case but it doesn't compare to Galco or Mullholland.
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/08/20 05:17 PM
Guardian GDK don’t have a great reputation for their leather gun slips hope the case is a better deal for you.
Gavin Gardiner auctions seem to offer a few nice cases at reasonable prices. Tomorrow’s sale has mostly double gun cases though.They are selling some nice shotguns and I think there’s a double barrel Alex. Henry rifle on offer too. Worth a look.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/08/20 06:00 PM
Originally Posted By: PALUNC
So what 32" gun will be fitted in to this new case?

Haven't decided yet. I've got seven 32" barreled SXSs. I'll figure it out after getting it in hand.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/08/20 10:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Stan

Thanks so much. I just ordered a GDK "oak and leather" case that will handle up to 32" barrels. Could not believe the price value. Even after shipping from the UK it was a substantial savings over anything else I've seen. If the quality that is shown in the pictures is actually there it's a heckuva deal. If not, I'm not out much.

Best, SRH

Stan, what's the model of the case you ordered? I only see 2 on their eBay page, one at 110£ and the other at 999£.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/08/20 11:09 PM
The one at 110 pounds Sterling.

I've paid that much for a purse for my wife. blush

SRH
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/08/20 11:21 PM
When you add on the £75 postage and packing maybe not such a great deal
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/08/20 11:51 PM

SRH

Not to put a damper on it but that doesn't state "oak" anywhere, just "wood" and the "leather" is PU, polyurethane.
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 12:00 AM
Originally Posted By: Recoil Rob

SRH

Not to put a damper on it but that doesn't state "oak" anywhere, just "wood" and the "leather" is PU, polyurethane.

It shows on the fastening straps and the handle.
Even the £999 case looks cheap ,it wouldn’t be my choice when there are so many quality leather cases going for less at auction.
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 12:21 AM
Lot 3214 Holts sealed bid sale in January . Oak and leather double gun case unused for up to 33 inch barrels might be worth a look Stan . Might be a good home for two of your 32 inch barrelled guns and not a lot of money. Guideline £150 to £250.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 12:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Konor3inch

SRH

It shows on the fastening straps and the handle.
Even the £999 case looks cheap ,it wouldn’t be my choice when there are so many quality leather cases going for less at auction.

I put the "oak and leather" in quotes for that very reason. I had no reason to believe it was oak. I was just trying, vainly I see, to distinguish it from a gun slip.

For $277 I'm willing to take a chance on the quality. I don't have fine English guns to house anyway ........... just old junker American made ones. My old beat up doubles would be quite proud to be lying in a plywood box covered with plastic.

Whether it's leather or not will be determined when it arrives. It still looks a sight better than some of the plastic hard cases they're in now.
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 12:38 AM
Sportsman Gun Centre in the UK have the oak and leather Guardian double gun case the same as the one on the Holts sealed bid sale . It is reduced to £180 excluding vat and they ship to America. Feedback gives it a good write up.
If you can I would cancel your order ,I think you will be disappointed.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 01:16 AM
Not interested in one for two guns, but thanks for the heads up. They're too heavy when full.

SRH
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 02:09 AM
Put in a request to the seller to cancel my order. Visa charge is still pending. We'll see.

I didn't mind if it wasn't really oak underneath, but y'all scared me up talking about polyurethane "leather".

Thanks, SRH
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 03:11 AM
I have two of their leather gun slips. The leather is thick and quality stitched. I would think if they say leather it is leather.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 03:44 AM
If it’s PU , then they say “ Leather PU” or something like that.

There is a great video by the guy who runs Saddleback Leather in San Antonio that’s called something like “How to Knock Off One of Our Bags”. He does a great explanation of leathers in it.

Wish he’d make gunslips.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 04:19 AM
The ad I saw for the 110£ case clearly stated " PU Leather".

I keep kicking myself, there was a genuine Purdey's single gun motor style case in excellent condition a few months back on eBay, It sold for $540, shipped, a real steal. I like the motor case more than the traditional style flat case.
It was from Lewiston, Idaho, isn't there a dealer there?

Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 06:43 AM
Put in a request to the seller to cancel my order. Visa charge is still pending. We'll see.

I didn't mind if it wasn't really oak underneath, but y'all scared me up talking about polyurethane "leather".

Thanks, SRH

Hope it works out for the best ,buying sight unseen is always a gamble.
I bought a tweed gunslip in the last sealed bids sale at Holts. Very thin material thin padding and no waterproofing. Fortunately it arrived torn and was returned for refund. This Summer I was in Gullane East of Edinburgh. There is a small shop there called The Black House. The lady who runs it is from Stornaway on Lewis. She travels home to pick up thick Harris tweed and then makes handbags by hand all of which are waterproof lined. She had around four or five side by side tweed gun slips she had made which are very good quality. They are not advertised on her website and she has no plans to make any more. The side by side models are suitable for long barrels and top opening only I bought one for my Parker reproduction and am very impressed with it . The over and under models ,she had about three, are side zipped but I didn’t really look at them closely The side by side seemed built for much longer barrels than my 28 inch repro. I can recommend them ,they are under the £200 mark and should sell for more, postage would be reasonable to the US. I am thinking of buying another.If House of Bruar were selling them they would be half again in price but as she makes them all herself volume production is not an option.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 12:14 PM
Originally Posted By: RecoilRob

You may have seen a different ad than the one I saw, then. Not to be picky, but it said:

GDK LEATHER PU SHOTGUN CASE, WOOD,LEATHER CASE,26-32"GUN CASE,FELT LINING 165pu

.........not PU Leather.

The above was copied directly from the ad itself. If PU means polyurethane, what does the 165pu mean in reference to the felt lining? This is why I question that it is in reference to polyurethane. Does it mean the felt is also polyurethane? I'd think not, which is why I speculate that the PU has another possible meaning.

I will message the contact person at GDK and ask him straight out.

SRH
Posted By: canvasback Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 12:40 PM
Stan, I spent a long time in the leather (shoe) business. The use of PU in that context means it's not leather, it's polyurethane.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 01:07 PM
Thanks, James. Rob was spot on.

SRH
Posted By: Replacement Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 05:31 PM
Stan, same vendor also shows this case at 139.99:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351254062374?ViewItem=&item=351254062374
Listing says:

Quote:
Dark brown, Guardian leather drk brown shotgun case

Quote:
This Shotgun case is finished with premium dark brown full grain guardian leather on the exterior and for the interior,

Quote:
have also added the inner leather straps to stop the barrel and stock from moving

Quote:
Full premium dark brown leather exterior finish, with added thick leather corner protectors.

Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 06:19 PM
Replacement:

That case looks familiar to me. Its made in China, same as where Tony Galazans cases are made. I made contact with that company in China. Cases were really a deal. However they wanted an order for 250 cases. I did not have storage room for that many

JOhn Boyd
Arrieta
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 06:40 PM
Thanks John. If it's made in China I'm not interested at any price.
Posted By: PL Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/09/20 07:54 PM

I keep kicking myself, there was a genuine Purdey's single gun motor style case in excellent condition a few months back on eBay, It sold for $540, shipped, a real steal. I like the motor case more than the traditional style flat case.
It was from Lewiston, Idaho, isn't there a dealer there?

Yep, that Purdey case was a steal.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/10/20 12:20 AM
GDK refunded my Visa charge and cancelled the order. Guess I'm back to looking for vintage hard cases.

Thanks to all who made me aware of the pitfalls with the GDK case.

SRH
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/10/20 02:44 PM
What is the bbl length that you need and gauge?

John
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/10/20 02:44 PM
Where do you need to be as to price point

JOHN Boyd
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/10/20 02:52 PM
You could just make your own.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/10/20 03:45 PM
So, Jeff's has a leather case for 32" 12ga SxS for $390, ready to ship. Why not?

https://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/product/leather-gun-case-for-o-u-or-sxs/
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/10/20 05:16 PM
John, I'd be interested in 30" or 32" barrel length vintage canvas or leather hard cases. Only reason I was going to buy the new leather one was the price.

I'd probably pay as much for a fine vintage case as I would a new foreign made one.
Posted By: PL Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/10/20 08:29 PM
Vintage leather cases for 32" barrels are hard to find and sell for a premium above 30" cases.

PL
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/10/20 08:35 PM
Tell me about it. Been looking for quite some time.

SRH
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/10/20 10:52 PM
Can't see the attraction to those style cases...they're from a different time period when people road trains and coaches to where they hunted.

Useless to store a gun in long term...guess the kOol factor appeals to some.
Posted By: PL Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/12/20 06:19 AM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Spend a little more and buy a Galco...

Since Mullholland stopped making gun cases Galco is the only game in town when it comes to high quality.

I currently own two Mullhollands and one from Kevins in Georgia..the Kevin's English leather gun slip is a nice case but it doesn't compare to Galco or Mullholland.

HoJo
It is Mulholland Brothers. They designed, manufactured, and sold outstanding leather goods made in the USA and charged a premium for their goods as they were the best quality you could find at the time that were USA made. You purchased two good cases from Mulholland that will last multiple lifetimes, well done! Then you threw Kevin's retail cases into the mix and we are right back to cheap communist slave labor Shit! "Imported English Style" and $199 is a dead giveaway. So I guess only 1/3 of your gun case money funded Beijing and the American retailers that resell their goods.

Vintage English Leather cases from the 1920's to the 1970s were the best quality at that time and have not been surpassed in quality by any modern case makers since simply because the materials and labor cost to much. Vintage Bryant and Brady case are OUTSTANDING gun cases that supplied the English trade and high end American retailers such as Abercrombie & Fitch. When you find a good English leather case in good condition buy it! I do. JMHO.

PL
Posted By: skeettx Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/12/20 10:12 PM
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23437&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Foreign made guncases - 12/12/20 10:38 PM
Thanks, skeetx, but .......... made in China. It states it "proudly" on the leather embossed oval emblem.

It may seem narrow-minded of me to some, but I have to draw the line sometimes.

SRH
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com