doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ClapperZapper Robert Ruark/Harry Shelby Safari movie - 12/12/20 07:51 PM
Lots of quality double rifles in this 1953 movie.
It’s a real glimpse of a time long gone, and I found it moving.

It’s a rainy day in between snow storms here, so it’s a good time to enjoy a double gun movie.

https://youtu.be/N2Cim-4tWkw
When I was young before my teens, my aunt gave me a book by Robert Ruark, "The Old Man and the Boy", and "The Old Man's Boy Grows Older. I read them many times. A great writer.

Thanks for sharing a link to the video, it was great.
Thanks for that link.

I spent an hour one afternoon recently watching video of Nash Buckingham, his wife Irma, and other friends hunting ducks at Wappanocca and Beaver Dam. The last half of the DVD was him hunting quail on mules with a friend. No audio was recorded, but just seeing him shooting and watching the dog work, in b & w, was a treat.

The video is narrated with lots of good information about Nash's life and other interesting stuff.

SRH
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Robert Ruark/Harry Shelby Safari movie - 12/13/20 03:08 AM
Stan, what is the link to the video?
I don't know that there is one, Joe. Years go I bought it, I think, from Dr. Wayne Capooth, author of the grand book The Golden Age of Waterfowling. I think he had it made and put on DVD, which is how I have it. Not certain, but it may be Capooth narrating it, too.

If there's any interest in finding some of the DVDs I'll ask around on the AHFCA forum about it.
The only "Now gone to the big typewriter in the sky" video I have is about Gary Cooper and Ernest Hemingway hunting in Idaho-- Don't think Coops was in any African safaris, but Hemingway was in 1953 where many photos exist. No offense, but it is Selby, not Shelby- wish I could own and shoot his .416 Rigby Mauser BA rifle--

I have both "The Old Man and the Boy" and the sequel- "The Old Man's Boy Grows Older" and my other 2 Ruark books- "Horn of the Hunter" and "The Honey Badger" Ruark was sometimes compared to Hemingway's writing style- they both had solid newspaper reporting/writing backgrounds. RWTF
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Robert Ruark/Harry Shelby Safari movie - 12/13/20 10:31 PM
CZ,

Thanks for the link. He shot elephant, rhino, and leopard in a single safari. He passed on lion. The golden age of Safari.

Ken
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com