doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mark Larson OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 12:07 AM
While working on some dog portrait commissions, I decided to give a gift to a friend of mine whose ranch I've chukar hunted on for years. Incredible memories, and these are two of his setters, on point on his ranch, who are now passed on. So, I just finished this 9 x 12 oil on panel for him. It's a fairly loose painting, and very painterly, but I like the tension and overall feel of it. This is "Two Setters," 9 x 12 oil on panel:

Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 12:10 AM
What's not to love about that?

Beautiful work!
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 12:14 AM
That will be a very special gift for your friend. Anyone in their right mind would treasure it.

Good job! SRH
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 12:20 AM
Thanks! It had a lot of fun painting it. I think it helped having hunted there a lot too.
Posted By: skeettx Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 12:27 AM
I can just feel their excitement!

And if you do your part, they will be bringing the
birds back and let you scratch them behind the ear
and tell them how wonderful they are.

SWEET

Mike
Posted By: nca225 Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 01:55 AM
What a beautiful work and a wonderfully thoughtful gift as well!
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 02:20 AM
Shades of Abbett.

It's very nice Mark.
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 04:36 AM
What a lovely gift, Mark.
Posted By: BillK Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 04:56 AM
Beautiful and very thoughtful gift. I am sure your friend will cherish it.
BillK
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 12:50 PM
Nice job just not too realistic looking with two bird dogs pointed that close together.

Nice paint job.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 01:18 PM
Great painting Mark, love all your work.

Homey jOe, not all dogs back the other, some dogs have to get the scent before they point. Besides this is the artists rendition of what he wanted, not yours.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 01:21 PM
Agree- after Osthaus, Abbett's work is a close second. See the Fall 1977 ed. of GSJ-- The poem: The Grouse Hunter, with ils. by Abbett- beautiful fall scene, solid point by a stream, 2 grouse flushing and going off- and the Titus poem "Oh hunter, when you come at last, and start me from some covert place-- My idea of heaven on earth-- Nice work, Mark, very nice indeed. RWTF
Posted By: Cameron Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 01:39 PM
Very nice painting, Mark! An awesome gift, from the heart!

Having hunted "the breaks and similar country," from your painting, I can picture in my minds eye the terrain as it breaks off into the the river canyon below and the hunter with great anticipation of a flushing group of chukar, behind the pointing setters!
Posted By: Der Ami Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 02:33 PM
Mark,
That is wonderful work, but on the other hand we have come to accept such work as normal from you.
Mike
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 02:41 PM
Originally Posted By: David Williamson

Homey jOe, not all dogs back the other, some dogs have to get the scent before they point. Besides this is the artists rendition of what he wanted, not yours.

All true....I wasn't looking for fault the unnatural looking scene just jumped out at me when I saw the painting.
Posted By: GLS Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 05:22 PM
Very nice, Mark. As for realism, I've seen it occur recently. I wish I'd taken a photo of Abby and Sadie that close together on a woodcock last week. I also wished I'd laid down my gun and picked up Abby and moved her back as she creeped in on the bird. Sometimes dogs get competitive and will creep in disregarding "honor". Early season dogs often forget their manners. Floyd nailed it on the rise. Gil
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 05:51 PM
Sure to bring a tearful memory, and joy to your friend. What a wonderful gift.
Posted By: RichardBrewster Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 08:46 PM
Mark, I'll add to the chorus: Beautiful painting to be treasured!!
Posted By: Goillini Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 08:54 PM
I like that very much. Mark, you are very talented.
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/16/20 11:28 PM
Thank you all for the kind words. It does of course feel good to have some degree of talent, but using it to give back feels even better.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/17/20 05:03 PM
Very nice painting Mark. I wish I had friends like you!!
Posted By: Dennis Potter Re: OT: Two Setters - 12/18/20 02:54 AM
Outstanding Mark; it sure brings back memories of my old setters, although both Maggie and Mickey were not around at the same time, except in my memories I guess.
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: OT: Two Setters - 05/10/21 04:39 PM
That painting is awesome.
Posted By: mc Re: OT: Two Setters - 05/10/21 06:26 PM
Great painting I had two short hair that would point next to each other they did that from the time they were puppies best hunting dogs I ever had.mark cooper
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT: Two Setters - 05/10/21 09:22 PM
I feel the pain of those who have never lived with setters. My life with setters started in 1948 when I was not quite three years old. I went through some time with long tail pointers and a wonderful Wirehair, but my time with setters was the best.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT: Two Setters - 05/11/21 01:27 AM
Any man who lives up to his dogs expectations has lived a good life. Next to hunting with grandfathers and my children, dogs have brought the most pure enjoyment to my hunting experience. I have a lab about to go off to school that I will miss more than I can explain but if she is to become what she could be I have to send her off. It wont be easy.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: OT: Two Setters - 05/12/21 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Originally Posted by David Williamson

All true....I wasn't looking for fault the unnatural looking scene just jumped out at me when I saw the painting.

It's called "Artistic License"
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: OT: Two Setters - 05/12/21 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by eightbore
I feel the pain of those who have never lived with setters. My life with setters started in 1948 when I was not quite three years old. I went through some time with long tail pointers and a wonderful Wirehair, but my time with setters was the best.

My "life with setters" began in earnest in 2014 when I bought my first, and probably only, English setter, Gracie. Until that day I had only dreamed of a wonderful setter in my life. My dream came true and renews itself every day.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com