doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: AZMike South East Arizona get-together - 01/07/21 01:24 PM
Mike and Kathleen are hosting another:
--Shoot-A-Que for shotgun guys--
February 28th 2021 at our ranch in Cochise County
BBQ Carnitas Burros & Salsa Bar
SxS clay target games and open shooting on our Western Traps
Lots of tables for display or trading
No charge-(hat available for donations though)
rsvp mcneeley5@gmail.com
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/07/21 06:35 PM
Thanks Mike I will be there.
Posted By: AZMike Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/08/21 12:10 PM
Drew has volunteered to bring his barrel evaluation tools (no fee) for anyone that is interested in checking their barrel walls and such.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/08/21 12:55 PM
How easy is it to get there from Tucson? Are there a reasonable accommodations nearby?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/08/21 01:06 PM
I'd be there if I lived a thousand miles closer. Sounds like a great time.
Posted By: AZMike Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/08/21 01:17 PM
CZ,
We are 2 hours SE of Tucson, all paved roads except the last mile. 10 miles east of Bisbee and 35 miles SE from Tombstone both tourist towns with lots of rooms.
Seven miles from the Donalds Great Wall!
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/08/21 01:27 PM
Mearns country then?
I'll see if I can get it onto the schedule here for pto.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/08/21 01:31 PM
Mike, are you near the Glenn ranch?

SRH
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/08/21 01:45 PM
A reminder if someone would like me to check their barrels - THEY MUST BE CLEAN.
A good scrubbing with a piece of Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner, soaked with KleenBore Formula 3 Gun Conditioner, on the end of a cleaning rod chucked into a cordless drill works great.

Mike last year at his replica "Pigeon Ring" surrounded by traps; his daughter at the controls and she scooted the table back as the shooter's yardage increased. The orange clay is above his right arm. The Dragoons are in the background.

I think this was Phil's straight grip Smith Specialty grade 16

Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/09/21 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by AZMike
CZ,
We are 2 hours SE of Tucson, all paved roads except the last mile. 10 miles east of Bisbee and 35 miles SE from Tombstone both tourist towns with lots of rooms.
Seven miles from the Donalds Great Wall!
Can you post a map?
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/09/21 06:01 PM
Actually I just noticed the e-mail for rsvp and sent the map request to it. Thanks. I intend to make every effort to be there.
Posted By: mark Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/09/21 10:37 PM
Any place to park an RV around there no hook ups needed.
Posted By: AZMike Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/09/21 11:37 PM
Emails answered as I get back to the PC.
Mark, we have lots of room for RV's but our ranch road needs rigs with a bit of clearance.
Posted By: mc Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/10/21 12:30 AM
How much clearance do we need on a motorhome?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/10/21 01:28 AM
The Dragoons are my favorite range down there. Great country. I miss it.
Posted By: AZMike Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/10/21 10:59 AM
Motorhome guys,
There is a pretty big arroyo about 1/2 way in the drive. Worst scenario would be dry camp at the dove pond north of the wash and take a small hike to the house. You can camp as long as you want.
Posted By: mark Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/10/21 04:41 PM
AZMike, that sounds great! We will start making plans!
Posted By: mc Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/12/21 12:55 AM
Looking forward to meeting you mike.
Posted By: oskar Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/12/21 05:05 PM
Heading over if I can.
Posted By: AZMike Re: South East Arizona get-together - 01/21/21 12:47 PM
I do have 1oz and 1 1/8 oz factory ammo, just in case any shooters visiting AZ have un-sourced shells.
Posted By: AZMike Re: South East Arizona get-together - 02/02/21 11:45 AM
Update for those interested:
The shooting will be run as an Old Time Turkey Shoot, lots of 10 target competitions off of old Western White Flyer traps. Trap, skeet and sporting style shooting and some buddy shoots from long yardage, also buddy triples!
Posted By: mark Re: South East Arizona get-together - 02/03/21 02:33 PM
Sounds Great! Looking forward to it!
Posted By: mark Re: South East Arizona get-together - 03/01/21 04:36 AM
Many thanks to Mike and Kathleen for there outstanding hospitality! Great targets, food and lots of new friends! Got a little windy for shooting but that made for good visiting. We had a Grand time!
Posted By: mc Re: South East Arizona get-together - 03/01/21 01:18 PM
Great shoot and a lot of really great guns to look at, mike and kathlene thank you very much for a great day
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: South East Arizona get-together - 03/01/21 08:22 PM
Cool but beautiful day in SE Arizona for the shoot; until the wind (and dust) started blowing about noontime. The Dragoon Mountains are in the distance.
Mike set up 16 yd. and handicap trap, and a fun 2 man buddy shoot with 3 targets in the air; the middle target a mini.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Lots of show-off guns including Mike's Remington collection.
Mike and Phil with 2 Smiths; a 1896 No. 1 that somehow was fitted with British Best 4 Iron Turkish with Birmingham Provisional Proof (I'm looking into that!) and a 20g Specialty with 32" barrels (1 of 123 made). They are standing in front of Mike's neat collection of vintage target throwers.

We had a great carnitas lunch courtesy of Kathleen.
It was good to see Mark again, and meet his wife.
Posted By: oskar Re: South East Arizona get-together - 03/02/21 01:26 AM
Another thank you for Mike and his whole family, it seemed like everyone in his family pitched in to make it a memorable experience. I've been a sxs fan my whole hunting life growing up on sxs's. This is the first time I've been able to get to a sxs gathering, what a great experience. I'm looking forward to ones in the future.

Thank You Mike your family and all the friendly folks I met there.

oskar
Posted By: mc Re: South East Arizona get-together - 03/02/21 02:19 AM
Oskar you for got your step stool.
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: South East Arizona get-together - 03/02/21 04:17 AM
Mike thank you so much for putting on a great SXS event. Fantastic food and great company. Your family and yourself did a wonderful job.
I bet there are few events can say they had over a dozen shooters lined up shooting SXS for an Annie Oakley shoot.
I need to get me one of those vintage throwers you used throwing three clays of 3 different sizes at the same time. Loved it.
Met some really great people and shot with many of them.
Drew thank you for taking time to join us and provide measurements on my Parker GH 28 gauge and my LCS, as well as the 2021 calendar.
Posted By: AZMike Re: South East Arizona get-together - 03/02/21 11:22 AM
Thank you from my family, a day shooting and visiting with old and new friends is very worthwhile.

As Roy Rogers says, "Till we meet again!"
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com