doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Argo44 The Glory of an Upgrade - 01/10/21 12:39 AM
As all of you have noticed, all diacritical marks in German, French etc. and numerous English punctuation marks are now rendered in the "upgrade" as �. This makes many of our past posts, especially the French-English dictionary incomprehensible.

Dave allowed me to repost the dictionary and it works as a repost with the accents, etc.now...but we can't go back and redo all those historical posts. They cannot be understood...and certainly some of the English for our non-English speakers will be gibberish. Dave is working on this. Computer upgrades are always good...right?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: The Glory of an Upgrade - 01/10/21 01:38 AM
Gene,
Thanks for that effort. I printed it a while ago, glad I did, but, I suspect this will be resolved. Maybe not today, however.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Argo44 Re: The Glory of an Upgrade - 01/14/21 04:06 AM
The problem persists and infects all sort of punctuation marks on historical posts....but in particular diacritical marks on foreign languages. How can you transform a - (dash) or a " (quotation mark) or an ' (apostrophe) to a �? It appears everywhere, even in English topic posts. It renders past foreign language posts incomprehensible. If I were Dave, and a company did this to my site, I'd be pretty upset.

Example:
Title - William Evans (From Purdey�s)
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=587172#Post587172
Posted By: Imperdix Re: The Glory of an Upgrade - 01/14/21 10:35 AM
Despite the garbage promises,every upgrade I`ve ever been railroaded into accepting has spoilt a system I was perfectly happy with !!!
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: The Glory of an Upgrade - 01/14/21 11:37 AM
Fact #1: Upgrades for cell phones and computer systems, in most cases, make the company money, or they would not insist on your doing it

Fact #2: We usually become accepting of the upgrade after awhile, regardless how aggravating it is (and they know it)

Fact #3: The older we are the less accepting we are of change, because we have learned these changes will likely not improve our way of life

Fact #4: As long as we suck at the tit of these parent companies, to fill our bellies with convenience and gratification, we will have to put up with upgrades

Likely scenario: Dave had a valid need for the upgrade or he would not have gone to the trouble to shut the site down and do it. I suspect it will all be worked out eventually. I hope so, for the sake of those who have worked so hard storing data and information here but, there is a ....

....... lesson to learn: Back up anything that may be of value to you, and if it is a labor of love don't get jacked up if it gets screwed up or lost. Think about all that beforehand. It's free, unless you are of a mind to recompense the host for some of his expense and trouble (the vast majority are not), and

.........remember what you learned as a youngster, and the confirmation of that lesson from photobucket, about free stuff.
Posted By: Imperdix Re: The Glory of an Upgrade - 01/14/21 12:48 PM
Wise words there Stan...wise words.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: The Glory of an Upgrade - 01/16/21 05:33 PM
More censorship on this site than on fArcebook...NRA thread even locked.

Hey fellers there's more to life than clapped out SxS's....John Browning knew it Perazzi perfected it.

Upgrade sucks type looks okay on my android phone but over laps on my computer.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: The Glory of an Upgrade - 01/16/21 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Hey fellers there's more to life than clapped out SxS's...

Like Russian BB guns...

...and Italian motorcycles

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Upgrade sucks...
Hockey blocker works good.

Posted By: Replacement Re: The Glory of an Upgrade - 01/16/21 06:35 PM
Why the hell was the NRA thread locked? Even Keith's post was way less offensive than usual.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: The Glory of an Upgrade - 01/16/21 07:37 PM
Dave did some very selective trimming before he locked it.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: The Glory of an Upgrade - 01/17/21 05:32 AM
Just spent an hour correcting dashes, apostrophes, quotation marks and various French diacritical marks on an historical post which has over 1 million visitors.

But still, the upgrade contractors should be held to account. How can you not transfer a simple English language "apostrophe" from an old site to a new one?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com