doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John Venarsky Remo Gewenrfabrik Suhll over&under - 01/15/21 04:13 PM
I have located a Nazi proofed WW ll sporting gun 12 ga ouver & under. A respected gunsmith told me that Nazi sporting guns during WW ll were only furnished to very high ranking individuals in the Nazi regime. I am looking for a source (if there is one) to possibly obtain information through a serial number and description to whom this gun may have been issued to. The barrel had the Remo address and the receiver flat has the Nazi proof ,serial number, and other unknown proofing. Some research has told there may be a source in Germany available where these records may have been stored. Any help would be greatly appreciated. jv
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Remo Gewenrfabrik Suhll over&under - 01/16/21 08:34 PM
John,
Actually, they didn't stop making sporting guns until close to the end of the war ; any guns proofed under the 1939 proof law were " Nazi proofed"( from about 1940-1945). If you post photos of all the markings on the gun, including those under the barrel, we can likely provide additional info. Remo was the "house brand" for Gebruder Rempert( Rempert Brothers)( sp?).
Posted By: John Venarsky Re: Remo Gewenrfabrik Suhll over&under - 01/17/21 08:09 PM
Der Ami I will provide pics soon as I can get the gun out of storage. Temporary Wheelchair confined and takes time to find someone to go to my safe. jv
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Remo Gewenrfabrik Suhll over&under - 01/18/21 04:24 PM
John,
OK, I understand very well, having my own similar problems.
Mike
Posted By: John Venarsky Re: Remo Gewenrfabrik Suhll over&under - 01/19/21 05:41 PM
Here we go. Hope this loads!!!!
Posted By: John Venarsky Re: Remo Gewenrfabrik Suhll over&under - 01/19/21 06:06 PM
Mike I am unable to load the 25 pictures. I have't had a problem sending through standard email. If you are good with sending me your mail maybe they will go that route. My mail jvenarsky621@gmail.com. Thanks jv
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Remo Gewenrfabrik Suhll over&under - 01/19/21 06:25 PM
John,
OK, I will send it.
Mike
Posted By: John Venarsky Re: Remo Gewenrfabrik Suhll over&under - 01/19/21 07:32 PM
Should be there in way to many mails. If more needed let me know. Kregs Marine still stumping me. Thanks. jv
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Remo Gewenrfabrik Suhll over&under - 01/19/21 08:22 PM
Just to catch everyone up, The markings include the Reich Adler over N, which was the mark for smokeless proof of guns of all types, under the 1939 Proof Law, used from 1939-45. There is also a 12/70 which means it is 12 gauge with 70mm (2 3/4") chambers. It has the "Sole & Pick" house mark for the Suhl Proof House, as well as 440 meaning it was proofed in April 1940. There are also an R and S which I think are touchmarks of workmen and a partially obscured mark that reminds me of the provisional barrel proofmark under the 1891 law, used until 1939. The barrels may have been provisionally proofed in 1939, then finished and finally proofed in April 1940, but I can't be sure.
Mike
Posted By: skeettx Re: Remo Gewenrfabrik Suhll over&under - 01/19/21 09:53 PM
Fun reading?

https://www.lugerforums.com/threads/eagle-m-sauer-16-gauge-double.7113/
Posted By: John Venarsky Re: Remo Gewenrfabrik Suhll over&under - 01/20/21 02:51 PM
Mike Sent you some pics of the Speer possibility. Thanks for all your help and your knowledge. jv
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com