doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Help Identifying a Barrel Set - 01/22/21 02:14 AM
Appears to be Ithaca-like, but not exactly.
No markings except the serial number.

Thank you!

I have posted the pictures at Gunboards: https://www.gunboards.com/threads/help-identifying-a-sxs-barrel-set.1181832/

It was the easiest way for me to host the pictures. Still have a working Photobucket account but my ISP is really slow on uploading tonight.

Thanks again!
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Help Identifying a Barrel Set - 01/22/21 12:28 PM
I believe it is a later model Hopkins & Allen. The earlier models had a dolls-head rib extension.
Posted By: John E Re: Help Identifying a Barrel Set - 01/22/21 01:48 PM
Mike,

Can you post a picture showing the pattern of the top rib matting? Many makers used a unique design.

John
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Help Identifying a Barrel Set - 01/22/21 03:49 PM
Drew,
Thank you for the H&A information. Will dig around Google Images.

John,
Picture of rib matting added to the Gunboards thread.
Posted By: John E Re: Help Identifying a Barrel Set - 01/23/21 02:49 AM
Mike,

Here are my observations:

The rib matting is not a pattern used by H&A, their predecessor F&W.
The rib pattern is similar to Colton and Union F.A. Co barrels but the lug and cocking hook is not.
The barrel hanger is a Deeley type? Any patent dates?

The other maker that used a similar rib pattern was Torkelson. The early Torkelson models had dolls head extensions and a different lug design, but the last model has an extension and top bolting that matches your barrels. I believe Daryl Hallquist might be able to provide an answer.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=75887&page=all

John
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Help Identifying a Barrel Set - 01/23/21 02:02 PM
John is correct. The barrels are from a Torkelson. The rib matting, extension, loop, hook, etc all match the barrels on my Torkelson. The forend latch is an Anson type.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: ed good Re: Help Identifying a Barrel Set - 01/23/21 04:22 PM
daryl, your torkelson is lovely...

especially like the krupp markings...
Posted By: Researcher Re: Help Identifying a Barrel Set - 01/23/21 05:00 PM
That is very different from this Torkelson --

Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Help Identifying a Barrel Set - 01/23/21 05:48 PM
Researcher, yes, lots of differences. John E is the "expert" on these variations and I bet he can put some dates that are close . Here's the single trigger patent used by Torkelson. It's by Houldcroft.

Posted By: Hal Re: Help Identifying a Barrel Set - 01/23/21 05:57 PM
Never could get the single trigger mechanism on my Torkelson to work, but didn't try to fix it myself. Doubles on me regularly.
Posted By: Utah Shotgunner Re: Help Identifying a Barrel Set - 01/24/21 01:21 AM
Thank you all for the information.
Nice to see Daryl and Dave still posting .

To the question about other markings. There are none.
The s/n 14812 is stamped on the barrel flats, forend iron and forend wood. Those are the only marks.

I don't believe I have ever heard of Torkelson before now.
This barrel set came to me out of a "Dead Gunsmith" auction in Connecticut a year or two ago. I bought an actual truck load of barrels. Most were muzzleloader and misc. rifle but also included a few SxS barrel sets including these.

I am reorganizing as I have another bunch of parts coming in and finally took the opportunity to post these here.
Anyone need a set of barrels for a Torkelson? laugh

EDIT: The rear screw in the forend iron is angled as shown in the picture posted by Researcher.
Posted By: John E Re: Help Identifying a Barrel Set - 01/24/21 02:43 PM
Torkelson SxS's are more commonly found with with trade names. The last model was a totally different design from the early models. I have seen a few stamped Boston Field Gun.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com