doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: halifax I hate choke tubes - 01/23/21 03:53 PM
Anyone else of that opinion?

My reasons are three fold. One more thing to clean; one more thing to possibly go wrong and more stuff to bring along on a hunt (tubes, wrench, etc.)

I own two guns with tubes and I virtually never change them. I have both guns choked with skeet and IC tubes. The rest of the choke tubes have remained unused.

Now, I am not the world's greatest shot, on either clays or birds, so maybe that is part of it.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/23/21 03:58 PM
I'm not the greatest shot either, but I like Briley thin walls in the one gun that uses tubes. I don't see any downside actually.
Posted By: Little Creek Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/23/21 04:01 PM
They seem to be pretty fool proof, if you keep them clean and have a release agent on the threads. I liked the Briley's because I could order an array of useful choke constrictions by my choice.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/23/21 04:05 PM
Choke tubes have their place.

Not all guns should be choke tubed.

A Beretta 391 with a set of tubes is as near a universal shotgun as can be found.

Ditto a Citori CXS.
Posted By: ed good Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/23/21 04:19 PM
tubes are inappropriate for sxs guns...want that sort of thing, buy an over and under...

plus, new barrels have to be made heavier at the muzzles, so there is enough metal to machine for the damn things...

an then there are the risks when installing after market tubes...sometimes, installing tubes changes point of aim of one or both barrels...in spite of best efforts of skilled installer, it happens...no one seems to know why...

the presence of after market tubes are a detriment to value of old used guns...better to open existing chokes, or acquire second gun, choked the way you like...

one cannot have too many sxs guns...
Posted By: LeFusil Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/23/21 04:36 PM
Ed, you’re seriously the last dude on this entire board that should comment on what’s appropriate or inappropriate on a side by side gun. Your history with that is well documented.

No, I do not hate choke tubes. They definitely have earned their place. In fact they’re probably the next best shotgun related innovation next to choke boring or the recoil pad. They bring a level of versatility and practicality to a single shotgun barrel that the old school and very expensive
alternative of having multiple barrel sets has become somewhat obsolete. Especially for the hunter on a budget that only has a couple of different guns. The versatility is almost limitless. A guy can use his otherwise tightly choked waterfowler to shoot some skeet or other fun clay game...or change choke and shoot a Turkey....or take that same gun dove hunting or grouse hunting.

Choke tubes have proved themselves. They belong & they have their place in the shotgunning world. Whether you like chokes, appreciate what they bring to the table or not , that’s entirely up to you.
Posted By: Borderbill Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/23/21 05:38 PM
I put Brileys in the single barrel of my trap gun. A situation where it really showed the advantage: normally I was shooting Arizona and occasionally Florida. Then I took a trip around Colorado, it made a heck of a difference being able to open up the choke in Leadville for the handicap. The full choke I had in the gun shot like a rifle at that altitude.
I have also put Brileys in a model 23 that worked out great.
Posted By: ed good Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/23/21 10:03 PM
well le, as of this date, every gun that i have ever offered for sale in the past fifty years or so, has been...sold...or in a few cases, returned to consigner , as over priced...

so there...
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/24/21 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by halifax
I hate choke tubes. Anyone else of that opinion?

Hate? Not me. There are things I hate, but they carry much more significance than screw-in choke tubes.

SRH
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/24/21 09:56 PM
I would consider putting them in my 2 3/4 chambered Tolley with thick replacement barrels. The reason is that I mainly intend to shoot this thing like a 686 or Citori though and see how well it holds up over time.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/25/21 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by ed good
tubes are inappropriate for sxs guns...want that sort of thing, buy an over and under...

Wrong. Many new made S X S guns are offered with flush choke tubes. That may be your personal feeling, but not that of much of the world. I wouldn't put them in a fine vintage gun, but nothing wrong with them in a new gun if it's what the owner wants.

plus, new barrels have to be made heavier at the muzzles, so there is enough metal to machine for the damn things...

Wrong again, for two reasons. Thin wall Brileys can be put in existing guns, and are everyday. They don't add any metal to do that. Secondly, the newer barrel steels are stronger than those used in many old, vintage guns. Perazzi is a perfect example of a barrel maker that doesn't have to make their barrels heavier at the muzzles for choke tubes. I had two MX8s. I sent the barrels from one to Briley and had them threaded for tubes. How'd they do that without adding metal?

an then there are the risks when installing after market tubes...sometimes, installing tubes changes point of aim of one or both barrels...in spite of best efforts of skilled installer, it happens...no one seems to know why...

Wrong, strike three. If the barrels are done properly there will be no change in impact. It's not a process that is occasionally affected by the phases of the moon, or black magic. Set up right ..... do the processes right ..... you'll get the right result. Problem is, not everybody who puts tubes in barrels does it right. It's up to you to cull the shadetrees before sending the gun out.

the presence of after market tubes are a detriment to value of old used guns...better to open existing chokes, or acquire second gun, choked the way you like...

Opening the chokes of some vintage guns can be a detriment to their value as well.

Back to the batter's cage for practice .........ed
Posted By: ed good Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/25/21 11:47 AM
well stan, you see it your way, i see it mine...

why cant we just agree to disagree, without the rudeness?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/25/21 11:57 AM
In the future, ed, when you post something that is "as you see it", qualify your statement with this ........ "in my opinion". That's all it takes to keep from being "called out".

In the meantime ........... practice keeping your eye on the ball.
Posted By: ed good Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/25/21 12:32 PM
well stan, much of what we all post here is opinion...

an wheather we all preface our posts, or not, is...well...none o yo damn bidness, don ya no...
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/25/21 12:38 PM
none o yo damn bidness

without the rudeness?

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: ed good Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/25/21 01:04 PM
sum times, gotta fight fire wid fire...

an you know stan, ah woke up dis morning feelin pretty good fur an ole man...

den ah read yo hostile posts...attackin me an my opinyons bout choke tubes in sxs gons...

now ah don feel so good...

but, den ah shudda spected hit, you bein duh in since see tive slug dat you is, an awl...

thanks alot stan fur ruinin my day...
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/25/21 02:19 PM
You two should consider getting a mOtel....truth is who gives a damn Charlottes.
Posted By: ed good Re: I hate choke tubes - 01/25/21 02:53 PM
hi jOe, nice to know that you are still with us...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com