doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/26/21 03:41 PM
Any help would be greatly appreciated for a Parker Bros double hammer gun I just purchased and awaiting arrival. The serial number shows it to be from 1893 with twist steel barrels. I didn't find model numbers for hammer guns on Parkers Collectors or Google search. Was there different models? The engravings seem to be very plain, checkered wood, and this is a top lever. Any idea what model this could be? Sources for the hammers and safety parts would also help out.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/26/21 04:25 PM
Twist barrels would be on the lowest grades 0 or 1. In those days the Qualities in these lower Grades were differentiated by grip style and gauge. A 10-gauge was $5 more than 12-gauge and smaller and a pistol grip was $5 more than a straight grip. So, a Grade 0 gun could be a Quality R, S, T or U; and a Grade 1 with Twist barrels could be a Quality N, O, P or Q. Confusing enough!!
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/26/21 04:29 PM
Hammers are very hard to find you should watch E Bay and hope. The safety is half cock, so you have the parts if the locks are complete.

bill
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/26/21 04:49 PM
Researcher-were the hammer guns the same model and they were differentiated only by grades? Were the parts and schematic the same?

Bill-I stand corrected about the safety I was thinking of my GH gun.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/26/21 04:56 PM
Photos would sure help.
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/26/21 05:10 PM
Joe-awaiting on arrival.
Posted By: james-l Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/26/21 06:06 PM
Just post the serial #, we can check the serialization book for grade.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/26/21 06:21 PM
1890s

[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]
[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]

Go here and click on "Parker Grades" on the left. The catalog images are of the Hammerless, but the engraving for the corresponding Hammer grade is the same
http://parkerguns.org/
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/26/21 08:10 PM
Serial 76819
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/26/21 09:12 PM
Pretty much nailed it. Barrel type, wood grade and some with or without engraving.
Posted By: ed good Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/26/21 10:06 PM
wonderful old guns...
Posted By: dblgnfix Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/26/21 11:21 PM
For hammers see the DIY gunsmithing page
Posted By: james-l Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/26/21 11:54 PM
Serialization book shows 76819
Gra PT 0 grade with twist barrels
T Top action
0 No options
C Capped pistol grip
12 12 gauge
30 30 " barrels
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/27/21 12:12 AM
Thank you all for the info.

Does the "P" denote 12 gauge?
Posted By: james-l Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/27/21 04:14 AM
PT is the grade P= 0 grade, T=twist barrels
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/27/21 03:08 PM
Thanks James.

Are the parts the same for liked actions, gauges and locks?
Posted By: james-l Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/27/21 07:53 PM
Over the years I've seen my share of Parker Hammer guns, my observation for what its worth:
The top lever guns seem to be pretty standardized and were mostly made in 12 and 10 gauge, the frames were made in different sizes depending on gauge and desired weight. Most are on the heavier side, I believe the locks for 12 and 10 gauge gun are pretty much the same, never seen and 8 gauge so couldn't say. I've owned 1 16 gauge but it was several years ago (1970s) it was an 0 frame size but don't remember if the locks were smaller, 16s are rare and more so for 20s. I don't know if anyone has made a survey of the hammer guns on how many made by grade, but looking through the serialization book it's apparent that most were 0 grades. The higher grades seem to be based on the same components as the lower grades just more file work, polishing and embellishment. I believe that the Parkers were the the best quality of the mass produced American made hammer guns.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/28/21 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by james-l
Over the years I've seen my share of Parker Hammer guns, my observation for what its worth:
The top lever guns seem to be pretty standardized and were mostly made in 12 and 10 gauge, the frames were made in different sizes depending on gauge and desired weight. Most are on the heavier side, I believe the locks for 12 and 10 gauge gun are pretty much the same, never seen and 8 gauge so couldn't say. I've owned 1 16 gauge but it was several years ago (1970s) it was an 0 frame size but don't remember if the locks were smaller, 16s are rare and more so for 20s. I don't know if anyone has made a survey of the hammer guns on how many made by grade, but looking through the serialization book it's apparent that most were 0 grades. The higher grades seem to be based on the same components as the lower grades just more file work, polishing and embellishment. I believe that the Parkers were the the best quality of the mass produced American made hammer guns.

Get yourself a copy of the two-volume set of The Parker Story to learn most of everything known about Parker Bros. shotguns until its publication in the late 1990's including the tables at the end of each of the Grades section listing the number of each configuration of each grade and the quantities of each produces.

It is a very informative set of volumes on the Parker Gun and all things Parker. Well worth the investment for those who are students of the Parker Gun.
look on ebay or contact Double Gun Journal to order a set.
Posted By: ed good Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/28/21 04:12 PM
or buy ed muderlak's book "old reliable"...it has a lot less super fo le us words, for a lot less money...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...1312&_nkw=ed+muderlak&_sacat=267

all of ed's books are well written, informative and entertaining...
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 01/30/21 06:52 PM
Ed's book, and the Parker Story are two completely different types of books. I have both, and Ed's book doesn't hold a candle to the PS for info about Parker guns. Eds is more of a story telling book.
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 02/09/21 04:05 PM
Thank you all.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Parker Bros Hammer Gun Model? - 02/10/21 01:21 AM
My old friend Ed was very parker-centric and his writings show that. Like the lawyer he was he presents all the facts that support his pro Parker point of view and ignores the facts that support any other make. Still, his books are a very good reads and I have them all.

Some of us at a shoot near Mt Airy, Maryland, in early 2002. Ed on the left with the Parker on his shoulder --

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com