doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Parker reproductions - 01/30/21 06:31 PM
Say, a buddy and I were talking guns an I brought up Parker Reproduction guns. I mentioned I would like to handle one and possibly add one to my arsenal.

My buddy told me to save my money! Stating they are not that strong of action and are easily shot off face or come loosen after 1000 rounds or so.

I have no clue or even heard of this happening on this brand. Is there any truth in what my buddy is saying?

Is the Parker Reproduction a good upland gam gun or just something that’s not up to power in today’s hunting?

From pictures, they look very nice. I would think the little gun would carry and handle nicely in the grouse woods or shooting doves.

It just took me back a little and figured I would pose the question. Or mark it up as to much bourbon for my buddy.

Rich
Posted By: ed good Re: Parker reproductions - 01/30/21 06:40 PM
parker repros are among the best guns ever made...

the claim that they become off face after a 1000 rounds is unheard of...

ax him watt he means by "off face", an report back to us...

an, i bet relatively few parker repros are shot that much anyway...

cause doing so would significantly reduce their resale value...

thats the trouble with newer collectible guns...cant use erm, wid out ah hit to the pocketbook,,,
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Parker reproductions - 01/30/21 06:41 PM
They are better than the originals if that helps you any.
JR
Posted By: crs Re: Parker reproductions - 01/30/21 06:59 PM
What Ed said +1.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

This an entry level 20 that has had thousands of rounds through it at clays and birds. Identical 12 was my first repro and it has twice as many thousands of rounds through it. Both still tight and right.
I bought the 12 used and then the 20 new and they are not for sale and go to my kids when I can no longer shoot.

They both look new and receive many inquiries and complements at the range or in the field.

Maybe your friend just does not like double guns?
Posted By: crs Re: Parker reproductions - 01/30/21 07:15 PM
This my first Parker made in the year 1900. Hunted hard by a lady in Southeast OK where my dad picked it up for his three boys. It is a 20 on 28 frame and small and light, so being the smaller of us boys, I was the only one it fit. I have run many thousands of ammo through it and finally at age 100, it was a bit loose and a friend took it to a well known double smith and they cleaned it up, squared it up, tightened it up and brought it back. He wanted to rework the wood, but I said no. I put a lot of those dents and barb wire scratches on it and each one reminds me of my teen age years.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Parker reproductions - 01/30/21 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by John Roberts
They are better than the originals if that helps you any.
JR

What this guy said. Most products coming out of Japan in that era were of exceptional quality. The Parker guns were no exception. That said, I’m not a fan of the single trigger, but, temper that with the fact I’m not a fan of any single trigger.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Parker reproductions - 01/31/21 12:58 AM
So I've been reduced to "this guy", Ted? Dang, you cut me to the quick...
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Parker reproductions - 01/31/21 01:21 AM
JR

grin grin

SRH
Posted By: crs Re: Parker reproductions - 01/31/21 01:25 AM
Ted,
All of my Parkers have double triggers, eve the really old original one. I care not for doubles with single triggers either.

Same goes for my double rifles.
Posted By: crs Re: Parker reproductions - 01/31/21 01:25 AM
Ted,
All of my Parkers have double triggers, eve the really old original one. I care not for doubles with single triggers either.

Same goes for my double rifles.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Parker reproductions - 01/31/21 01:28 AM
Just in case, David Trevallion wrote definitive text on Parker reproductions:

https://whiteflyer.com/the-parker-reproduction-story/
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Parker reproductions - 01/31/21 01:52 AM
The only problem on repo's was the fact that the lump that accepted the screw from under the top lever was not forged in place but a piece of metal was braised in place. Oscar discovered this when the only one he did poisened his furnace. After doing a repo he could not get good colors on other guns. He finally traced this to the braised lump, After he relined his furnace all was good.

bill
Posted By: topgun Re: Parker reproductions - 01/31/21 01:57 AM
When Parker Reproductions first came to market, I purchased a DHE 20-bore; then a DHE 12-bore, and finally a DHE 28 gauge from Larry Baer with the understanding that I would get the set of .410 barrels paid for in advance. Never got the promised barrels and was ticked to the max! The Parker Repros are great guns in my opinion, but I couldn't shoot them worth a dang as the factory stock dimensions simply didn't work for me; so I got disgusted and sold them all. But if the repro dimensions fit your style of shooting, these are well made guns and most feature beautiful stocks.
Posted By: Borderbill Re: Parker reproductions - 01/31/21 03:41 AM
I bought a 28 ga. two barrel set in 1995. I had trouble with doubling and failure to cock occasionally. I sent it to Regent Chemical in Middlesex, NJ, in July of that year. They were the warrantee rep. Since then I've had no problems with any type of ammunition and I've shot the heck out of it. It's probably my favorite gun.
Posted By: dirty harry Re: Parker reproductions - 01/31/21 01:23 PM
Next To A Browning BSS, The Parker Reproduction is the BEST Double MADE In the Last 40 Years !
Posted By: dogon Re: Parker reproductions - 01/31/21 03:05 PM
Parker repro's are marvelous guns-period!!

I took a 20ga repro with 28" barrels & double triggers on an Argentina dove hunt a few years ago. I put 10,500 rounds though it on that shoot without any issues of any kind and that gun is still going strong today.

I've told all of my gun/hunting buddies that if I had to go down to one shotgun, my 16-20 combo repro would be the one I'd keep!!

Who ever told you the BS about Parker Repro's is full of S**t & doesn't have a clue about them!!
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Parker reproductions - 01/31/21 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by 28 gauge shooter
Say, a buddy and I were talking guns an I brought up Parker Reproduction guns. I mentioned I would like to handle one and possibly add one to my arsenal.

My buddy told me to save my money! Stating they are not that strong of action and are easily shot off face or come loosen after 1000 rounds or so.

Or mark it up as to much bourbon for my buddy. --- OR TOO MUCH VACANT SPACE BETWEEN HIS EARS.

Rich

Your buddy doesn't know squat about Parker Reproductions - He probably made that crap up so you'd think he was inpo'tant.
Posted By: 28 gauge shooter Re: Parker reproductions - 01/31/21 07:38 PM
I agree, he knows nothing about sxs. I guess that’s why he does not own any of them. I am going to mark this up as to much bourbon that evening.

I have to admit, I am clueless on Parker’s myself and his comments gave me cause to research the product, ask the question and do some digging myself. Argo44, article was a great read. (Thanks for posting).

Now I find myself looking at Parkers and wondering why I don’t own one yet.

Rich
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Parker reproductions - 01/31/21 09:34 PM
JR

You don’t know midwestern church basement high praise when you see it, do you, John? “ Hey, Lena, great lutefisk “ is usually reduced to just a nod. Lena knows.

I was totally in agreement with you.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Parker reproductions - 01/31/21 11:10 PM
I heard lutefisk helps rid your basement of mice...

Back to topic, I’ve been looking for a 28g and have considered a Rizzini 552 and Fausti DEA. I may add a Repro to the mix.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Parker reproductions - 02/01/21 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
JR

You don’t know midwestern church basement high praise when you see it, do you, John? “ Hey, Lena, great lutefisk “ is usually reduced to just a nod. Lena knows.

I was totally in agreement with you.

Best,
Ted

I knew. I'm just so sensitive these days...
JR
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Parker reproductions - 02/01/21 01:22 AM
I have owned & shot 5 Parker Reproductions over the years. One 28 ga, two 20 ga. & two 12 ga. guns. All were SST guns. The 12 ga .guns got shot a lot at sporting clays (one Sporting Clays special w/ screw in Winchester chokes & one Steel Shot Special) . The 28 ga.& 20 ga. guns got carried a lot but not shot much.

Other than ejector issues after a lot of shooting with one of the 12 ga guns (not unheard of w/ original Parkers) & a creepy trigger pull on one of the 20 ga. guns (a very early 28" pistol grip gun w/the longer LOP & classy wood that i wish I would have kept) I never had any mechanical issues.

Cosmetically the case colors did wear very rapidly if you used them much.

I knew a few guys who had issues w/ SST guns doubling but that was mostly with guns that were purchased years after production ceased & Reagent Chemical had sold off remaining stock to several big dealers. I was told that cleaning the trigger assemblies of old lube generally put things right

IMO very nice guns for the $$ you like Parkers & dimension fit you.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Parker reproductions - 02/01/21 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Gr8day
I heard lutefisk helps rid your basement of mice...

Back to topic, I’ve been looking for a 28g and have considered a Rizzini 552 and Fausti DEA. I may add a Repro to the mix.

Parker Repros are very reliable. You may find the 20's on the heavy side. 28's weigh pretty much what they should. But for some strange reason, the Japanese choked those guns as if they were 12's. WAY tight for 28's. Find one choked Quail 1 & 2 and you have yourself a really nice grouse, woodcock, and quail gun. They are the most expensive of the Repro DHE's.

12's aren't heavy either compared to American classic 12's. Find one of the 20's with an extra set of 16ga barrels . . . those are also very nice. Wish mine had DT and a straight grip, but there are few enough out there with 16ga barrels that you can't be too picky.
Posted By: Little Creek Re: Parker reproductions - 02/01/21 04:00 PM
I bought a Parker repro 20 in January 1987. I was attracted to the very dark figured stock wood. I hunted grouse and ptarmigan (oh my) with this gun for the first 15 years I owned it. Most of the "case coloring" went away quickly.
After a few years, the buttstock cracked at the wrist! Turns out, the factory did not pay attention to the grain direction in the wrist. I personally know two other people in the Anchorage area that had the same stock break...one a 12 gauge the other a 28 gauge! Mine was repaired by a pro and saw no further problems.
Next thing that happened was that the single trigger gun would not fire the second barrel at times. Worse, it would jam the action so that I could not open the gun without removing the forend. I learned that I was not the only person with this problem in a single trigger Repro. A person, I think on this board, corresponded that he had sent his Repro to three different Pro gunsmiths and it was never corrected. He suggested conversion to double triggers...and that's what I did.
When I sold the gun several years ago, it was working fine with DT. The other change was that the DT conversion actually resulted in a 14-3/4" LOP...way too much for me.
The gun had easily 1000 rounds through it when it left me.
I think the metal work and fit and finish on the guns is great. A good working Repro is hard to beat. I would never buy a single trigger version, though. In fact, all of my doubles, including two Beretta O/Us have DT...
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Parker reproductions - 02/02/21 12:34 PM
There were Repros (early on) that had problems with stocks cracking. But it's been a long time since I've heard of that happening any time recently. I've put a lot of rounds through my single trigger Repro without a problem. That being said, I wish they'd made a higher percentage of them with DT's.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com