doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ellenbr The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 03:07 PM
Anyone see where Beretta purchased H&H??? Anyone have additional info?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 03:16 PM
I do suppose everything must come full circle?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: PALUNC Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 04:06 PM
I suppose the new Royals will now sport the Beretta barrel selector's on them now. And come with extended choke tubes.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 04:10 PM
Seems it takes effect today? I assume the new H&H's will be made in Bresica, badged & retailed in London?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 04:15 PM
Raimey,
don`t think so - a H&H is only a H&H if made in England. Don`t underestimate the Italians, they do know what they do! I think H&H fits better to Beretta than to Chanel!?
Cheers,
Wolfgang
Posted By: ellenbr Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 04:26 PM
So permit me to see if I understand this correctly. Akin to Scotch, that has to be made in Scotland, Bourbon that has to be made in Kentucky, H&H HAS to be made in England / UK?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: bushveld Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 04:33 PM
Strange that it took so long to announce the sale, as the London gun trade has known about it for nearly 6 months. Covid delay?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 04:34 PM
I forgot Champagne in France......

Did the London Gun-Trade want to keep it under wraps?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 05:05 PM
Raimey,

Champagne is a strictly protected brand already since the 19th century. This is recognized in about 130 countries around the world.

I believe that someone who wants to buy a H&H will always attach great importance to the fact that it also comes from England. Otherwise, his pleasure would be clouded to spend so much money on it.
However, it is conceivable that there will be certain "synergy" effects. For example, Beretta could supply the barrels or CNC milled systems. However, they will probably be very careful with this so as not to damage the reputation of the traditional brand.
In order to sell expensive and exclusive shotguns, Beretta did not have to buy H&H - they have been building quite outstanding luxury shotguns themselves for ages.
Beretta's purchasing policy so far also shows that they are very prudent with the brands they acquire.
Examples are Benelli, Sako and more recently Chapuis.
As I said, Beretta is certainly a more competent owner/partner than, say, Chanel or the Swiss holding company that owns Purdey.
I find it interesting that it is ultimately the Italians, often ridiculed in the past, who are driving a successful (survival) strategy. Who would have dreamed of this in Great Britain?

Cheers,
Wolfgang
Posted By: ellenbr Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 05:18 PM
Wolfgang:

My thoughts exactly. Does one receive a bottle of fragrance if one now purchases a Purdey? Or is it just a bar of chocolate?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: campero Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 05:22 PM
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: canvasback Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 07:39 PM
Given Beretta's ability to make highly regarded fine guns already, from a marketing perscpective, it would be insane to spend the money required to purchase H&H and not take advantage of the cachet the brand confers. For it to continue to confer that cachet, the storied product must continue to come from the London area. Otherwise you haven't bought anything.
Posted By: campero Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 07:45 PM
Beretta Holding expands its presence in the UK with the prestigious acquisition of Holland & Holland

Beretta Holding expands its presence in the UK with the prestigious acquisition of Holland & Holland

Beretta Holding has signed an agreement for the acquisition of 100% of Holland and Holland Ltd. The deal takes effect from February 1, 2021 (terms and conditions are not disclosed).

Holland & Holland is one of the foremost brands in British gun-making, serving elite international clients with the world’s finest handmade shotguns and rifles.

Beretta Holding has been looking to acquire a premium luxury brand, and Holland and Holland is a fitting partner, fulfilling all the elements of finest gun making; a rich history, independent manufacturing facilities and outstanding products.

Beretta Holding wishes to preserve the precious heritage of Holland & Holland in the United Kingdom with a high dedication to skilled craftmanship.

Pietro Gussalli Beretta, President and CEO of Beretta Holding has declared: “This is a truly exciting development and a great achievement for the Beretta family, further increasing the Group’s international footprint. Faced with the Brexit challenges, I am very pleased to increase our direct presence in the important UK market, where we are already active with our well-established distribution subsidiary.”

ncluded in the deal is the prestigious Holland & Holland Shooting Ground, located in West London, which boasts some of the finest facilities in the UK.

Beretta Holding is committed to the shooting sports sector and has a proud history of investing in brands that come under its umbrella and will continue to do so with its newest acquisition, Holland & Holland, to the benefit of this famous gunmaker.
Posted By: mc Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 07:59 PM
Maby Beretta will supply bits to h&h to make an affordable shot and regulated gun or a fit and finished type of gun.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 08:03 PM
The British Empire has fallen to French Fragrance / Swiss Chocolat & an Italian Armaiolo......

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: craigd Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by canvasback
Given Beretta's ability to make highly regarded fine guns already, from a marketing perscpective, it would be insane to spend the money required to purchase H&H and not take advantage of the cachet the brand confers. For it to continue to confer that cachet, the storied product must continue to come from the London area. Otherwise you haven't bought anything.
Or, distributed from London? The various press releases mention branding and marketing, but really nothing about the guns.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/01/21 08:57 PM
Isn’t the H&H sporter already made in Italy? Along with a Purdey made by Perugini & Visini.
Spanish and Italian made Wm. Powell's, etc.

Been happenin for at least a couple decades now. Let’s just hope the Turks don’t get in on the big game.
Originally Posted by LeFusil
Let’s just hope the Turks don’t get in on the big game.

They seem to be moving into the competition gun sector first. Yildiz has a Perazzi "styled" comp gun, called the ProStar, for less than half the price of a new P gun. Reports coming back after 10,000+ rounds are good. I read they're catching on quickly in all Europe, but especially the U.K.

http://prostarshotguns.com
Posted By: LeFusil Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/02/21 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis

They seem to be moving into the competition gun sector first. Yildiz has a Perazzi "styled" comp gun, called the ProStar, for less than half the price of a new P gun. Reports coming back after 10,000+ rounds are good. I read they're catching on quickly in all Europe, but especially the U.K.

Cant do it, Stan. Just can’t warm up to Turkish anything except maybe the food. Not a huge fan of the culture and their guns have always left me cold.
Posted By: eightbore Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/02/21 08:28 PM
Quite a few years ago, a Holland and Holland sporter came into the shop where I was working. I think the owner was trying to get maybe $7500 for it. It was an attractive gun, but it didn't work. Yup, it didn't work and we tried and tried but it was never reliable. They weren't $7500 for long. It left a taste in my mouth that has never disappeared. I have two Kguns that I don't have a total of three grand in and they haven't broken down in thirty years of steady use. I don't think I need a Turkish Perazzi or an Italian Holland and Holland. My English guns were made in the UK.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/02/21 10:08 PM
Parts made Italy, assembled in England ?

John Boyd
Was thinking the same thing.

Cant do it, Stan. Just can’t warm up to Turkish anything except maybe the food. Not a huge fan of the culture and their guns have always left me cold.

My post was not a recommendation, Dustin, just information only. I wouldn't trade my old Winchester imported MX8 for a brand new ProStar.

SRH
Posted By: canvasback Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/03/21 03:41 AM

My post was not a recommendation, Dustin, just information only. I wouldn't trade my old Winchester imported MX8 for a brand new ProStar.

SRH

I’m sure you both can remember when “made in Japan” was shorthand for crap. It takes a while for a country to learn a new industry. I can’t tell you for sure that Turkish guns will eventually compete successful in the high end, high quality end of the market but I wouldn’t bet against it.
My thoughts exactly, James.
Renato Zanotti in the 1920s improved the Holland system giving it rebounding locks and a strengthened rear lump. I wonder if there will be a future Holland model incorporating these features.
Originally Posted by canvasback
I can’t tell you for sure that Turkish guns will eventually compete successful in the high end, high quality end of the market but I wouldn’t bet against it.
I would.

“For it to continue to confer that cachet, the storied product must continue to come from the London area. Otherwise you haven't bought anything.”@canvasback

Posted By: Jeff L. Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/03/21 02:11 PM
A buddy related last night that he was told by Beretta USA's senior counsel that "The World of Beretta" is not a slogan, rather a business plan.
I have never owned a Beretta O/U-- Savroposto-- But the one once owned by the late Ernest Hemingway, as pictured in the 2 books Silvio C and associates authored sure would make me rob a bank-if it were ever for sale. Beretta will do a fine job with the H&H trademark worldwide- I didn't realize that Purdey was owned by some French perfume mfgr.- Oooolalla. RWTF
Posted By: LeFusil Re: The Italians Are Coming to London??? - 02/03/21 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
I have never owned a Beretta O/U-- Savroposto-- But the one once owned by the late Ernest Hemingway, as pictured in the 2 books Silvio C and associates authored sure would make me rob a bank-if it were ever for sale. Beretta will do a fine job with the H&H trademark worldwide- I didn't realize that Purdey was owned by some French perfume mfgr.- Oooolalla. RWTF

Reading comprehension much?

Purdey is owned by a Swiss company. H&H was owned by Chanel.
Hey, as long as it's not Remington, is all good.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com