doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Salopian W.W, Greener for sale - 02/06/21 04:38 PM
Interesting to see that iconic name in best doubleguns W.W, Greener is for sale .

Hopefully a vibrant , well financed, ambitious buyer will be found .
I certainly hope it will be saved from oblivion , if only to remind me of wonderful days spent with David Dryhurst & Richard Tandy , but more to keep alive my memories of Greener historian and enthusiast Mike Newland,
Posted By: Hal Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/06/21 04:50 PM
Where and what model?
Posted By: canvasback Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/06/21 04:56 PM
Hal, I think he means the company.
Posted By: Hal Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/06/21 05:31 PM
OK thanks
Posted By: mc Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/07/21 12:28 AM
Everyone gets old need to retire I wonder if they ever brought in trainees for future gunmaking if not then who do you blame when we lose great names like wwgreener
Posted By: Salopian Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/07/21 09:34 AM
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your interest and comments, no doubt a Texas Oil Baron will buy the name and get his new guns made in Turkey?
Posted By: SKB Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/07/21 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by salopian
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your interest and comments, no doubt a Texas Oil Baron will buy the name and get his new guns made in Turkey?

Not likely after the last year in oil. I have Texas oil clients and they are not spending the way they did a few years ago.
Posted By: Imperdix Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/07/21 10:33 AM
Tbh once these old names are resurrected or traded off as if they are an entity they become meaningless to me and many others I know.Most ceased to have anything to do with even family descendants many long years ago ,so what can they represent in this day and age......
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/07/21 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Imperdix
Most ceased to have anything to do with even family descendants many long years ago ,so what can they represent in this day and age......

Quality. It's what made them famous in the first place.

Lineage is not as important to most of the world as it is to England. Your monarchy for example .........

SRH
Posted By: Imperdix Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/07/21 11:12 AM
I can see the point IF they continue to make the historic design /product but not once that is cast aside for different or generic designs.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/07/21 03:37 PM
They seemed to only make sidekicks under Graham. Did they make any FPs under Graham?

Ken
Posted By: LeFusil Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/07/21 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by KDGJ
They seemed to only make sidekicks under Graham. Did they make any FPs under Graham?

Ken

Yes. They made them all. Dryhurst and Tandy were arguably the best gunmakers in England during their time. Pics of the FP & G’s are on their website.

http://www.wwgreener.com/new-guns.html
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/07/21 04:49 PM
Michael Louca seems to make a go of it, and David Mackay-Brown is retiring.
I don’t think it is the end quite yet.
Posted By: gunmaker Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/08/21 03:36 AM
Interesting development. My first SxS double was a Greener FP, and I’ve since added an ejector Empire to the mix for my waterfowl hunting. I hope for many others in the future, maybe some sub gauge! Needless to say Greener is my favorite maker.
Posted By: gunman Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/08/21 07:45 PM
So what is there actually to buy ? No work shop , no machinery ,no staff ,a small customer base and some records ..
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/08/21 07:55 PM
And what's the asking price, just out of curiosity?
Posted By: John Roberts Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/09/21 02:32 PM
OT, I remember when Thad Scott bought the Daniel Fraser name, in the late 70's I believe, had a run of falling block single shots under the name made in Italy. It was pretty much a non-event, as I suspect this will be as well. The market certainly doesn't care anymore.
JR
Posted By: SKB Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/09/21 02:49 PM
All of the nay sayers may take a look at what the group who now owns the Rigby name has done.

I would argue the market does indeed care. While I am not a buyer for a new Highland Stalker, they seem plenty busy cranking them out. Ian Clarke has been busy building new rising bite rifles and shotguns, including a scaled frame 28 bore. The recently built Greener guns were done to the absolute highest of standards and in keeping with the original designs, they were simply superb. It will depend upon who is the buyer and the business model they pursue but I am not writing them off just yet.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/09/21 05:18 PM
Oh it can be done, no doubt. Whoever winds up with it needs to have deep pockets and lots of time and patience, not to mention knowledge and capabilities. My point was , there’s no clamor in the hinterlands for new Greener shotguns and rifles.
JR
Posted By: craigd Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/09/21 07:32 PM
The Rigby turnaround came to mind. Two good books were also attributed to Graham Greener, sort of nice connection to the historical golden years.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/09/21 08:05 PM
Which Rigby turn around?
Posted By: LeFusil Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/09/21 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
Which Rigby turn around?

Post Paul Roberts. After Paso Robles. Present L&O group.

At least that’s what I’m presuming.
Posted By: Salopian Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/10/21 09:41 AM
It needs to be remembered that William Greener and William Wellington Greener possibly did more for the design and promotion of shotguns than any other manufacturer!
I think it would be a real shame to see this name be lost forever .
Dickson may already be lost ? McNaughton ? Webley & Scott ? Mackay Brown soon to retire,
Given the history of Greener and the numerous innovations he produced I would have thought it an ideal opportunity for a well funded ambitious businessman to own an iconic name in gunmaking.As for Gunman's questions , not sure of the asking price and if I was in a position to purchase I would re-locate into a purpose built factory , re-tool with necessary machinery and hope to gain all assets and goodwill in the asking price, and as is often the case retain the services of the two working directors for twelve months to assist the re-birth.
Maybe lessons could be learned from what happened to Boxall & Edmiston and how Longthorne appear to be prospering?
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/11/21 04:43 PM
Greener might have a chance if Beretta buys it.
Posted By: Salopian Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/14/21 10:40 AM
I have spoken to a few Brits and they showed no interest at all. Reasoning that due to Covid & lockdown the economy is very poor at the minute and may take years to recover. They also asked 'what are you buying,, any orders, no factory , no machines , no employees, what price?' Lots of questions and lots of caution.
Posted By: Imperdix Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 02/14/21 11:41 AM
One thing that has always puzzled me is where did all the `original`Greener guns go? In almost 50 yr of shooting and loading,I`ve hardly ever come across a Greener s/s ,in fact only 5 and 2 of those were a pair of sidelocks,plenty of GP guns around tho`! Where was W W Greener`s market back in the day?
Posted By: AlanD Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 10/03/21 01:47 AM
Did they find a buyer in the end??

Regards

AlanD
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 10/03/21 06:12 PM
"Dickson may already be lost ? McNaughton ? "
Peter,
sorry but I must suggest that you check your facts before condemning great names to the history books!
If you did your research you would find that J Dickson & Son and MacNaughton are very much alive (no thanks to Covid) and in the very capable hands of J-P Daeschler, a time served stocker from Scotland. And no he isn't a foreigner!
He also has a couple of other iconic Scottish names in his portfolio and is producing guns and rifles under the names.
I know that the Dickson workshops have produced new guns built on their own and MacNaughton historic designs in the last couple of years and have more on the bench in production.
Things have been very challenging for them during the pandemic but do not write them off, they are a very long way from being defunct!
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 10/03/21 07:13 PM
While staying at Dunkeld House Hotel about 3 years ago I called in to Dickson’s workshop ,located in the hotel’s grounds, prior to shooting at the adjacent clay pigeon ground. The new bar in wood MacNaughtons on display were exquisite.
Posted By: barrel browner Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 10/04/21 07:14 PM
Toby is spot on Dickson's is very much alive under the guidance of J.P Daeschler. McKay Brown is now under new ownership and taking orders. John Manton and Son is also producing high end guns and taking orders, so we have not given up just yet over here.
Posted By: mc Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 10/04/21 09:01 PM
Imperdex,, mabey they all went to the United States I have three all old and not in great condition a Anson from1878.79 another Anson from1886 and a hammer gun from 1878 the two box locks have j brazier under the bottom plate
Posted By: AlanD Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 10/05/21 06:45 AM
A lot of Greener's were exported to the colonies especially Australia and New Zealand.
Posted By: AlanD Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 10/05/21 06:48 AM
Dickson's are also reviving the Frazer name with the production of rifles. Frazer is second to none as far as sporting rifles go.

Regards

AlanD
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: W.W, Greener for sale - 10/05/21 11:26 AM
Frazers are already being made here in the USA.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com