doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/02/07 12:24 AM
A little history was paid today, from the brother of the now dead farmer who's land I bought some fifteen years ago - or so.
...and the lakes dug five years prior.
Not all duck places are duck poisoned!
...as some would like you to think.
Family owned for generations, and deer hunters all the ol'boy said - more 30-30 slugs than lead shot in the dirt, water and tree trunks. I nodded, as my first deer hunt so many years ago on the place proved there were still some three legged bucks about.
Better than data, is known history.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/02/07 02:10 AM
Lowell yOu been in the Missouri Shine again ?
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/02/07 02:17 AM
He's building up to the 4th slowly.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/02/07 11:08 PM
I hope he sobers up by the 4 th.
Posted By: rabbit Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/02/07 11:54 PM
For cat's sake, give the guy a break, why doncha! After all, he ain't subdividing it--yet.

jack
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 01:03 AM
Thorny,
Well, the new Nazis are the Greens, and reason, logic, and common sense escape them all to a one. My 20s and my 16s will become wall hangers when non toxic is mandated across the fruited plain, but the old Darne in 12 will cope with smaller steel and whatever altenatives remain, which, I'm hoping, will drive them nuts.

If the goal was to save the ducks, they'd all join Ducks Unlimited, right?
Best,
Ted
Posted By: 775 Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 01:25 AM
Originally Posted By: rabbit
For cat's sake, give the guy a break, why doncha! After all, he ain't subdividing it--yet.

jack

Fer cryin' out loud...how could he with all those 30 cal lead slugs in the water, dirt and trees?

Can you say "Superfund"?

Don't worry Lowell...I've got the EPA on the way to save you!

Pack yer bags,
Mark
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 01:41 AM
Can somebody out there explain what he's talking about?
Posted By: rabbit Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 01:56 AM
Near as I can tell, no one had a taste for duck until him.

jack
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 02:31 AM
I bet short of the Co-op...there's not a duck with'n 50 miles.
I may subdivide, and turkey hunt on my buds' land like h0miej0e does!
Posted By: Jakearoo Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 03:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Well, the new Nazis are the Greens, and reason, logic, and common sense escape them all to a one.
If the goal was to save the ducks, they'd all join Ducks Unlimited, right?

Once again, I don't get it. The original conservationists were all hunters. Hell, Ol' Uncle Teddy was the first President who ever set aside a bit of land or put in place regulations to preserve game. A not too well remembered part of history is that he was hated in the wide open west where the people didn't think the government had any right to tell the people or the states what they could or, more importantly, couldn't do with their land. So now, hunters and shooters are supposed to hate the greens??? Hell, enlist em. Maybe it will keep a swamp in place. Jake
Posted By: jerry6stl Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 03:14 AM
After winning the World Series last year, the Cardinals are not doing well in 2007. Perhaps that has the "thorned one" down in the dumps, and prone to over-consume adult beverages.
Posted By: Bob Blair Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 03:21 AM
I can't disclose the actual GPS location of Glenthorne Manor........'cause I don't know it, having never been invited there to shoot crows!!! ........but I think its generally in a pretty decent flyway for ducks. At least I've seen a ton of recent blinds on ponds and lakes in the general area. I doubt there is a real shortage of duckage there.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 10:34 AM
I never thought of the Cardinals....

I just figured his lead levels were up from all the rifles bullets scattered all over the woods.
Really gents, this was a friendly note to all, that not all duck places are encrusted with lead shot.
...and just maybe, some of the mad science followers might want to retrieve their lead bullets if they believe so firmly that all lead is caustic to the wildlife.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 11:18 AM

We need a synthetic biO-degradeable shot...

do yOu do pAintball Lowell ?
Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 12:18 PM
Lead is the most common element in the earth, but not a good thing for developing brains. Rational debate turns on bioavailability. IIRC, the NSSF website has alot of good info related to lead and shooting ranges.

Sam
Posted By: tudorturtle Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 01:01 PM
I will not get sucked into this thread I will not get sucked into this thread I will not get sucked into this thread I will not get sucked into this thread I will not get sucked into this thread I will not get sucked into this thread I will not get sucked into this thread.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 01:30 PM
Oh hell, why not Yeti.

Now, lead is THE MOST COMMON ELEMENT? I'm curious where that comes from. Any citation, data etc? I don't know what the most common element might be, but I sorta doubt it is lead. Maybe Silicon.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 01:37 PM
Oh hell,
One website says Iron is the most common but most of it is in the Earth's core.

Another measure of just the crust lists the following top 10 elements in this order
Answers 1 Oxygen
2 Silicon
3 Aluminum
4 Iron
5 Calcium
6 Magnesium
7 Sodium
8 Potassium
9 Titanium
10 Hydrogen

And one more website lists the following for 10 ten elements in the GALAXY by PPM (mass)
Hydrogen 739,000
Helium 240,000
Oxygen 10,700
Carbon 4,600
Neon 1,340
Iron 1,090
Nitrogen 970
Silicon 650
Magnesium 580
Sulfur 440

The most common element between Lowell's ears however is, indeed, lead. Pure unadulterated lead.

Brent
Posted By: marklart Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 02:22 PM
A cup o'joe, my feet up on the desk, a bright sunny new day outside, and some of Lowell's incoherent blatherings to decipher. What could be better?!

Carpe diem everyone.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 03:55 PM
The original conservationists are not the current crop. They could understand that there was very little difference between a fire, which happens naturally, and a man made clearcut in the forest, the difference being the clearcut providing a payday for someone. They also could understand that either would provide for regeneration of a diverse forest habitat, rather than the monolithic, old growth one so in vogue now, that is more of a biological desert, from the standpoint of wildlife. The lack of responsible use policies, and supression of all natural fires in the BWCA is directly related to the conditions that led to the closing of the Gunflint Trail, and firefighters from 43 states being there for six weeks this spring.
Yes, there are responsible conservation organizations (think Ruffed Grouse Society) and then, there are "others". Guess which ones have more clout?
Best,
Ted
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 04:24 PM
Ted, that blow down from 5 yrs back or so had nothing to do with those fires?
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 05:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Yeti

I will not get sucked into this thread.

Looks like you were.
Posted By: Chicago Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/03/07 10:16 PM
Brent: Most common elelment in earth's crust is Oxygen if measured by Mass, and if measured by sheer # of atoms I think it is Hydrogen. I dont know Lowell so I am not sure how his elements stack up in the periodic table.
In truth, it was the vanishing duck habitat that caused the banning of lead shot. The do-gooder activists had figured that steel would put the ol'boy's duckgun on the dusty shelf.
Someone had to take the fall, and the duck hunter was the cheap way out. Poor hunting before the ban, then the ban, bet there's not a handful of shot in your favorite spot.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/04/07 01:46 AM
Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne
I may subdivide, and turkey hunt on my buds' land like h0miej0e does!

Lowell does your 'bud' have alot of turkeys ?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/04/07 02:56 AM
Brent,
Blowdown is a symptom of old growth.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/04/07 02:59 AM
Ted you shouldn't refer to Lowell as a blowdown...have some respect.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/04/07 03:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Brent,
Blowdown is a symptom of old growth.
Best,
Ted

Oh yeah, right...

I am from that country, I know what old growth is...

It ain't

On the other hand, if you were refering to Lowell, well that's another matter.

Brent
There may come a day when the conservation dept. agents check for relics at the turnstiles of public lands - and that 10b 32" olden damascus hammergun might be declared a hazzard and unfit for duty in those crowded places.

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Knee deep in lead shot.....not! - 07/04/07 10:42 AM

I bet your just jellous of those long sexey tubes aren't you....getting lame again ?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com