doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: halifax Old resewood cleaning rod - 02/15/21 03:01 PM
I have an older cleaning rod that has a neatly drilled hole, about 1/4" diameter, through the end brass and about 3/4 of an inch below where the cleaning jag gets screwed in. Any idea what its purpose might be?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Old resewood cleaning rod - 02/15/21 03:55 PM
To insert a pin to facilitate unscrewing the jag?
Posted By: halifax Re: Old resewood cleaning rod - 02/15/21 04:08 PM
The hole is not in the jag but in the rod itself. Maybe I wasn't very clear.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Old resewood cleaning rod - 02/15/21 04:16 PM
thread a rag or patch through the hole to wipe bore.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Old resewood cleaning rod - 02/15/21 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by halifax
The hole is not in the jag but in the rod itself. Maybe I wasn't very clear.

I understood you. I still think that is what it is for. The jag is a larger diameter and easier to hold on to, though it too can have a crosswise hole for the same purpose. The rod is skinny, oily and hard to hold on to, hence the hole to run your turnscrew through for leverage.
Posted By: halifax Re: Old resewood cleaning rod - 02/16/21 03:12 PM
BrentD Thanks, That makes sense.
Posted By: damascus Re: Old resewood cleaning rod - 02/16/21 08:29 PM
I have always beleaved that the hole at the top of vintage set of cleaning rods below the top threaded hole that at that time would hold a Turk's head brush rather than a jag especially if the hole has a tapered enterence, it was used to hold a piece of "Flax or Cotton Tow" used for cleaning or oiling the bore.
Posted By: halifax Re: Old resewood cleaning rod - 02/17/21 11:58 AM
Damascus: On closer inspection of that hole, it is not threaded. The hole is actually egg shaped, or slight oval, and with champhered edges on on both sides of the hold. It appears to have been used quite a lot in times past so your comment about it holding flax or cotton tow makes some sense. The rod is of a higher quality when compared to new rosewood rods sold today.
Posted By: damascus Re: Old resewood cleaning rod - 02/17/21 03:53 PM
Halifax take a look at the photograph. This is a two piece Ebony rod pre 1850. It has two holes one at the extreme end of the Brass fitting that has a Turk,s Head brush fitted, then below that is the larger hole that takes the Flax or Cotton Tow this hole can be round or oval I have seen both. Now the threaded hole that has the Turk's Head fitting also came with a long Brass large headed screw when the rod was new, this screw enters the larger hole below to apply pressure on the material passing through the hole holding it fast. As luck would have it I cant find the screw it is not lost just gone walkabout.
Posted By: damascus Re: Old resewood cleaning rod - 02/17/21 03:55 PM
Halifax take a look at the photograph. This is a two piece Ebony rod pre 1850. It has two holes one at the extreme end of the Brass fitting that has a Turk,s Head brush fitted, then below that is the larger hole that takes the Flax or Cotton Tow this hole can be round or oval I have seen both. Now the threaded hole that has the Turk's Head fitting also came with a long Brass large headed screw when the rod was new, this screw enters the larger hole below to apply pressure on the material passing through the hole holding it fast. As luck would have it I cant find the screw it is not lost just gone walkabou

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: halifax Re: Old resewood cleaning rod - 02/17/21 06:08 PM
Damascus: Yes, that hole is exact to the hole at the end of my rod. I didn't know my rod was ebony but it is almost black so I suppose it is. Interestingly, that along with that rod came a Turk's Head brush, like the one pictured above, in the old leather case. It is steel and I have never used it because of that. Thank you for solving the problem. You are, and have been, a great resource.
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: Old resewood cleaning rod - 02/18/21 04:10 PM
Just be a little careful of old ebony. It can be quite brittle and a drop on a hard floor will break it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com