doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ksauers1 I need a sidelock education - 02/15/21 08:27 PM
Explain the differences from back action, bar action, 7 pin, nine pin. Now's the time to post pictures of the various types of your favorite guns. the pros and cons. The myriad of pin placement. There seems to be an unlimited amount of variations. Even tho I've been back into hunting for the last 4 years my knowledge is still severely lacking. I don't know what I don't know
Posted By: ellenbr Re: I need a sidelock education - 02/15/21 09:15 PM
We have commenced down this path a couple times....

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=251203

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=407265

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: I need a sidelock education - 02/15/21 09:19 PM
There's a Edgar Stremple H&H style sidelock thread for which I am searching, but there are some examples here(plus Otto Reif) along with some sideplated body actions:

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=502387&page=3

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: I need a sidelock education - 02/15/21 09:29 PM
https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ub...Words=barella&Search=true#Post327959

Ah, hah. This was for which I was searching.....

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: I need a sidelock education - 02/15/21 09:31 PM
>>There is a fantastic 396-page book named "Platines" by Laurent Bedu, that describes the most common sidelock systems: Beesley, Holland, "Scott", etc... and also includes the Italian ones Betretta, Zanotti, ... and the obscure ones such as Defourny and Francotte FASD.
The book is in French but I know that the author is working on an English translation.<<

WC:

Did the English version ever materialize?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: I need a sidelock education - 02/15/21 10:26 PM
And if you really want to count pins......

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Winkler in Ferlach DR

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: I need a sidelock education - 02/15/21 10:41 PM
Thanks ellenbr.

There are 3 guns I have under consideration

A Blanch back action

A Lancaster 12/20 that I’m impatiently waiting for to finally get here from England

And the Bland back action I asked about previously

And the next one I might find that I’d have interest in ( a Daly or WR)
Posted By: ellenbr Re: I need a sidelock education - 02/15/21 11:33 PM
Ah, skip 'em all and jump up to the Daly. A WR is just an inferior substitution to the pinnacle of perfection Daly.

But for sure don't let me prevent anyone from posting some images or info......

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: KDGJ Re: I need a sidelock education - 02/16/21 01:40 AM
KS,

If you don't have Diggory Hadoke's book "Vintage Guns: Collecting, Restoring and Shooting Classic Firearms", you may want to pick one up. He covers the 12/20 and other sidelock actions. The 12/20 was built to be a light gun (6 to 6 1/4 lb range) as it came out in the late 20s timeframe and was competing with other lightweight guns of the time (Churchill 25, 2" guns, etc.). It is not a bar action lock, but definitely looks like one except for the missing front pin. As you already probably know, every gun has to be individually evaluated.

Ken
Posted By: canvasback Re: I need a sidelock education - 02/16/21 01:46 AM
I own a number of sidelocks. But none match my Daly’s.
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: I need a sidelock education - 02/16/21 10:58 AM
If you want to see a stunning sidelock look for a Fabbio Zanotti pinless. I have an old photo of it but cannot go through the hoops to post it here. Being pinless it bypasses the pin worries.

The sidelock action was a development based on the hammer gun. Compared to an internal tumbler action such as the Dickson or the Browning Superposed it is obviously more old fashioned and complex. But lords and earls used sidelocks and the cachet remains high, for those that are impressed by titles and such.
Posted By: rocky mtn bill Re: I need a sidelock education - 02/17/21 04:03 PM
ksauers1, One of the best places to start your education Is Adams and Braden's book, Lock, Stock, and Barrel. It distills a lot of the basics in clear prose.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com