doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gr8day Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/18/21 01:48 PM
Interesting. I love home remedies. Has anyone used this?

https://www.louisianasportsman.com/general/gun-cleaning-miracle-home-remedy/
Posted By: dogon Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/18/21 03:18 PM
I'd be hesitant to get any of this solution around the bluing on a gun. White vinegar is known for being a bluing removal agent. There's been many discussions here over the years about it's use for that purpose.
Posted By: Chantry Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/18/21 03:36 PM
Somewhat related, I started using a mix of equal parts rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and Murphy's oil to clean my guns after shooting black powder in them. Now I find myself using this mix for smokeless cleaning, cleaning around the house and it's been a great hand sanitizer during Covid.
Posted By: damascus Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/18/21 03:45 PM
That is one of the finest Steel/Iron rusting solutions I know of, an other is the same mixture with some table salt added this works far faster. Keep this away from guns or you will regret it at leisure.
Posted By: Nudge Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/19/21 01:10 AM
I have never used vinegar on blued steel. But I have submerged old rusted wrenches, hammers..whatever, in a tub of white vinegar. After 48 hours there is not a spwck of rust...or anything else...on the steel.

So i really doubt it wouldnt eat through the bluing too. Im not SAYING that...Id just want to test it carefully first. With tools it leaves the metal a light gray.

NDG
Posted By: keith Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/19/21 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by damascus
That is one of the finest Steel/Iron rusting solutions I know of, an other is the same mixture with some table salt added this works far faster. Keep this away from guns or you will regret it at leisure.

I agree with Damascus 100%. This peroxide and vinegar solution is an oxidizer and a mild acid. Exactly what I do not want to use for cleaning my guns.
Posted By: dogon Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/19/21 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Nudge
I have never used vinegar on blued steel. But I have submerged old rusted wrenches, hammers..whatever, in a tub of white vinegar. After 48 hours there is not a spwck of rust...or anything else...on the steel.

So i really doubt it wouldnt eat through the bluing too. Im not SAYING that...Id just want to test it carefully first. With tools it leaves the metal a light gray.

NDG

Rust bluing on gun parts is a form of controlled red oxide rusting which is boiled in water to convert the red oxide to black oxide. This is why you want to keep vinegar away from the blued surfaces of any shotgun with rust blued barrels & parts. Your experiences with rusted tools & white vinegar proves the point.
Posted By: 375whelenIMP Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/19/21 02:59 PM
http://www.texas-mac.com/Warning_Hydrogen_Peroxide_and_Vinegar_Will_Etch_Bores.html

As well my understanding is Lead Acetate is a by-product, which is fairly hazardous.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/19/21 04:01 PM
I have had a couple of guns that someone blued the receivers on. I used vinegar to remove the blue. It worked well.
Posted By: greener4me Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/21/21 11:14 AM
Does anybody have experience of using CocaCola to reomove grime and/or corrosion from metal ?
Posted By: simcgunner Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/21/21 01:04 PM
I have used vinegar to remove blue before. "bug juice" or Kool aid has enough acidity to remove corrosion from parts soaked in it but you will remove the bluing.
Posted By: Hal Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/21/21 03:45 PM
A bit OT, but what is the best way to chemically clean dark oxidation from stainless steel? Tried various acids and alkalis without much success.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/22/21 12:48 AM
A bit OT, but what is the best way to chemically clean dark oxidation from stainless steel?

Stainless steel is not rust proof, but is rust resistant. If the oxidation is rust, I would try white vinegar, and keep an eye on the parts while they are soaking.
Posted By: Hal Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/23/21 03:37 AM
Just an old double boiler, so not worrying about damage. Maybe its the chromium or some other element that oxidized to give the gray color. No reaction to white vinegar. No luck with muriatic acid either. Maybe I should try sulfuric outdoors?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/23/21 12:05 PM
Give molasses a try, Hal. It's a pretty strong oxidation remover. Leave it on it for several days. Won't cost much to try. If you try it I'd like to know how it worked, if at all.

304 stainless is very susceptible to chloride corrosion. Salt is a common chloride that will work on 304 pretty hard. 316 stainless is much more corrosion resistant. Bimetallic corrosion is a common cause of stainless discoloration and oxidation. Who knows what kind pots are made of. Some grades of stainless are not magnetic, some are. I may be mistaken, but I always assumed that the stainless grades that a magnet would stick to were the ones most likely to get rust specks.
Posted By: Hal Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/23/21 07:45 PM
Thanks. I've been adding a bit of vinegar for 30 years in this double boiler when I steam veggies. Thought it would help keep the bottom pot clean as well as add a bit of flavor. May have been a bad idea appearance-wise, but that does not bother me. Could be merely because my well water is a bit alkaline?
Posted By: Replacement Re: Peroxide and Vinegar - 02/24/21 07:42 PM
When I want to spiff up my stainless cookware, I buff it with an extra fine metal prep disk on a small angle grinder. Do it right and it looks great. For a while.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com