doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John E Baker G&F Co. forend latch - 03/04/21 10:21 PM
I recently acquired a Baker Gun & Forging Co., Model RE. The forend uses a J-spring fastener with a push button release similar to that on the Ithaca Flues ejector guns. This is the only Baker I have witnessed with this type latch. Anyone else?

John
Posted By: skeettx Re: Baker G&F Co. forend latch - 03/04/21 10:30 PM
Pictures please

None of my six Bakers have this type of latch

You have the Grade R with ejectors?

https://gunvalues.gundigest.com/baker-gun-forging-co/969/grade-r-double-shotgun/

Mike
Posted By: John E Re: Baker G&F Co. forend latch - 03/04/21 10:47 PM
Mike,

Yes, an RE. All numbers match. I have over a dozen Baker guns. This is the only one I have ever seen with a button release.

[img]http://imgur.com/gallery/mhEKIMy[/img]

[img]http://imgur.com/gallery/onThm2G[/img]
Posted By: Researcher Re: Baker G&F Co. forend latch - 03/04/21 11:30 PM
Here is that latch on Paragon 883 --

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: John E Re: Baker G&F Co. forend latch - 03/05/21 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by Researcher
Here is that latch on Paragon 883 --

Thanks Dave. Have you seen any sales literature listing this feature? Approx. dates of useage?

John
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Baker G&F Co. forend latch - 03/05/21 12:25 AM
As suggested above, the push button was added to ejector guns. Rarely, one might see an ejector gun with an Anson pushrod.
Posted By: John E Re: Baker G&F Co. forend latch - 03/05/21 02:15 AM
I have other models with ejectors that are just J-hook fastened but they are all Batavia line models that also lack the hammer blocks and the bolt through the lower lug. I guess I need to find an example with an Anson pushrod.

Thanks all,

John
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Baker G&F Co. forend latch - 03/05/21 03:19 PM
John, the push button appeared with the first ejector offered by Baker. I have seen only one example of the first ejector and have forgotten the patentee, but it is on Paragon 874, made in 1905. It is visibly different from the subsequent ejector designs. I think the Baker Quarterly of the 1905 period announced the ejector availability. The number 883 seems somewhat familiar to me, so if I had to guess, I would guess that Paragon 883 pictured above had the second ejector [most common] design. But 883 is close enough to 874 that it , also, may have the first ejector design.

Here are a couple of pictures of the somewhat later ejector with the push rod. This is N Grade 958. I may have seen a couple more of the push rods, but they are not common.

Posted By: John E Re: Baker G&F Co. forend latch - 03/05/21 08:54 PM
Daryl,

Thank you for clarification. Do all the models with ejectors use push rod cocking also?

John
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Baker G&F Co. forend latch - 03/06/21 02:55 PM
John, I guess I don't understand your question. Not sure of the "push rod cocking" definition.
Posted By: John E Re: Baker G&F Co. forend latch - 03/06/21 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
John, I guess I don't understand your question. Not sure of the "push rod cocking" definition.

Daryl,

Sorry for the confusion.

It is only my observation of my personal guns. My RE has cocking hook in the barrel lug and uses push rods to trip the ejectors. But my "Batavia Ejector" models with do not use a cocking hook on the lug to cock the hammers. All my ejector guns have cocking(push) rods running through the frame from forend to the hammers. The forend has rollers that engage the rods. Both my Baker Standard ( boxlock nonejector) use cocking rods. I believe that the Baker Ejector (boxlock) also uses the push rod cocking. Again, just my observations.

John
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Baker G&F Co. forend latch - 03/07/21 07:00 PM
John, I understand, now. The "normal" Baker mechanism for cocking is a relatively single straight rod through the lump into the bar. For want of a better term I always called it a cocking rod. The Batavia Ejector Models I have seen have a single hook from the lump to the bar, very similar to the 1909 Paragon Model. I think they cock like the Baker Standard. The Baker Standard cocks with a "Push Rod" on either side of the bar, actuated by a notch in the forend . This gun has extractors. There is another Model called the Baker Ejector [not Batavia" but I don't know how the mechanism works. And still another boxlock model called the Holland has been seen, but I don't have one and cannot explain the mechanism.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com