doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Glacierjohn Spreader loads? - 03/11/21 02:41 PM
I just purchased a really nice original condition VH 12, with unaltered barrels. It’s currently choked .35 and .40. I plan on using it as my regular duck gun. I shoot ducks over decoys and occasional pass shoot, if they aren’t decoying that day. I plan on shooting bismuth, hopefully 2-3/4” 1-1/4oz #5s. It’s my understanding that this gun is chambered for 2-5/8” but some members recommended keeping the chamber length as is, but shallow the angle on the forcing cones a bit.

Assuming that is ok to do, what is this I hear about spreader loads? How effective are they and where do you get them? I would typically hunt with a lt modified and lt full barrels for my hunting.

Thanks,
John
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Spreader loads? - 03/11/21 03:19 PM
Both RST and PolyWad (if still around) sell excellent spreader loads. They essentially convert your M&F gun into a 25 yard bird gun...Geo
Posted By: tut Re: Spreader loads? - 03/11/21 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
Both RST and PolyWad (if still around) sell excellent spreader loads. They essentially convert your M&F gun into a 25 yard bird gun...Geo

I heard Polywad has closed their doors. Not sure if that correct or not.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Spreader loads? - 03/11/21 06:53 PM
I tried their 800 number this week and still only get a recording. ???
Posted By: Researcher Re: Spreader loads? - 03/11/21 09:11 PM
In Parker Bros. doubles a 2 5/8 inch chamber was intended for 2 3/4 inch shells.

Many years ago, I bought a flat of Polywad's Spred-R 12-gauge loads when the assets of the old Potomac River Gun Club were being auctioned off. I shot several patterns with them using my Father's old 2-frame 12-gauge VH choked .035" and .037". The results were very patchy.
Posted By: GLS Re: Spreader loads? - 03/11/21 09:43 PM
I've handloaded spreaders with the disk and post sold by Polywad. On another site, a poster solved the patchiness issue by holding back an 1/8 oz of a 7/8 oz. load in 16 ga. and loading it on top of the disk with the 6/8 oz. underneath the disk and covering the disk with the remaining 1/8 oz. and securing it in place with an osc then roll crimping. Gil
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Spreader loads? - 03/12/21 12:24 AM
My PolyWad SpredRs, in 16 ga., worked great. I used them mostly in a Smith FW 32" with tight chokes. Qualified for the Smith/Parker Challenge with them and shot two 23/25s with them, on the five-stand. Used them on every target. Bought a flat and have used all but one box. Never patterned them............ they worked too good to do that. grin

SRH
Posted By: bls Re: Spreader loads? - 03/12/21 03:58 AM
I tried some factory brand (can't remember which brand) spreader loads in a 16ga Merkel I had a while back. Put them on a pattern board, didn't seem to help much..02cents

Def think patterning them makes a big help to see what spread you're really going to get at what distance
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Spreader loads? - 03/12/21 10:50 AM
Fiocchi Interceptors work very well in guns that can handle them. They're not low pressure loads. I use them regularly in my Perazzi.

I wouldn't use them in a 2 5/8" chamber.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com