doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: mbatten Hammer gun tumbler pin repair - 03/16/21 09:52 PM
I have a lovely old Dougall 16 bore double rifle with a badly damaged hammer retaining screw on one of the Stanton locks. This screw is interchangeable with the hammer screw on a Grant double that uses Brazier locks - so the threads are identical.

Anyone know of a source that might be able to provide a replacement? I've tried a couple of English websites without success. Failing that, a good 'smith who can weld up the damaged screw slot, cut a new one, and engrave it to match?

Thanks,
mbatten

Canada
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Hammer gun tumbler pin repair - 03/17/21 02:10 AM
Where are you located?
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Hammer gun tumbler pin repair - 03/17/21 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by mbatten
I have a lovely old Dougall 16 bore double rifle with a badly damaged hammer retaining screw on one of the Stanton locks. This screw is interchangeable with the hammer screw on a Grant double that uses Brazier locks - so the threads are identical.

Anyone know of a source that might be able to provide a replacement? I've tried a couple of English websites without success. Failing that, a good 'smith who can weld up the damaged screw slot, cut a new one, and engrave it to match?

Thanks,
mbatten

Canada

Forget the “weld it up and cut a new slot option”, I’ve gone that route and I’ll say it’s just easier, simpler & faster to have a new pin made. If you’re in Canada, there’s a number of gunsmiths that are fully capable that can make a new pin, have it engraved and age-matched. Or you can send it here and have one made. Del Whitman in Michigan will make you a new pin, engrave it and age it and it’ll never leave his shop. I’ve had all sorts of new pins made and I don’t think I’ve ever paid more that $150 for a pin, to include engraving & finishing.
Posted By: susjwp Re: Hammer gun tumbler pin repair - 03/18/21 12:29 PM
Second on Del. He is one of the best.
Posted By: mbatten Re: Hammer gun tumbler pin repair - 03/19/21 05:50 PM
Thanks gentlemen - I live in BC so I’ll give Del a try if I can’t find a Canadian ‘smith to do it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com