doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Dave Schiller Merkel Serial # - 03/17/21 04:16 PM
I'm trying to date my 20 ga 147E SxS. I can't find anything on the web that gives the date of manufacture. Serial # is 64xx0. Any help would be appreciated. Dave
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/17/21 08:26 PM
Dave,
Post a photo of the proof markings and we can likely give you the month and year it was proofed.
Mike
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 12:29 AM
I took the photos requested by Der Ami but cannot post them, probably because I do not use a web hosting site for photos and cannot figure out out to post them on this board. However, upon further examination, I note the the number I posted above is only on the forend iron. Another number shows up on the watertable and the side of the rear locking lug. THAT number is 46xx50.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 01:23 AM
Dave,
My Merkels exhibit the serial # as well as choke markings and bore diameter in millimeters on the barrel flats. Adjacent to the proof marks on the barrel flats will be a number and a two letter date code.
Karl
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 02:04 AM
Karl, there is nothing resembling a serial# on the barrel flats. Starting from the muzzle end of the barrel flats are the following marks: Under the right barrel, 16.0 (0.630", 20 gauge?), then a mark that resembles the top view of a bird in flight, then the # 294, then a mark that looks like a flat top shield with (I kid you not) a shoe sole with a hammer handle through the middle of it, then 20/76 (20 gauge, 3" chamber?), and lastly the mark VZ. The left barrel has 16.0 up front, then no more marks until back to 20/76 and under that is the mark 1/2. I take the VZ and 1/2 as choke markings. There are no letters anywhere in what might be the serial #. Dave
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 03:35 AM
[quote=Dave Schiller]Karl, there is nothing resembling a serial# on the barrel flats. Starting from the muzzle end of the barrel flats are the following marks: Under the right barrel, 16.0 (0.630", 20 gauge?), then a mark that resembles the top view of a bird in flight, then the # 294, then a mark that looks like a flat top shield with (I kid you not) a shoe sole with a hammer handle through the middle of it quote]

Proof date 294 (Feb 1994) Followed by the Suhl proof mark
Posted By: skeettx Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 03:38 AM
https://www.shotguns.se/html/germany_1992--.html
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 02:35 PM
Thanks to all for the information. The date seems reasonable (Feb, 1994) as I received the gun (very slightly used) as a retirement gift from the last company I worked for (Dec, 2010). The only confusion now is that the "eagle" proof mark on my gun and the one on the site skeettx provided are nowhere near alike.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 04:37 PM
How about these marks?

https://www.shotguns.se/html/west_germany.html

or

https://www.shotguns.se/html/east_germany.html
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 05:35 PM
Nope, skeettx, close but no cigar. I'm going to try to post the photo on another forum and then provide the link so you can look at it.
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 05:45 PM
OK, skeettx and others, take a look of the flats at https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/merkel-proof-marks.901399/
Posted By: skeettx Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 05:50 PM
Bingo

1968 West Germany (BDR) updated the proof laws according to the international standard.

https://www.shotguns.se/html/west_germany.html

#3 on the bottom half of the proof map.

Superior Proof

Bird with V

Mike
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 06:26 PM
Thanks, Mike. I was thinking the mark under the bird was its feet held together, but the V makes sense. However, the date range for the #3 mark says 1968-1971. My gun date is Feb, 1994. Oh well, no need to beat a dead horse. Dave
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 06:35 PM
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

There must be a letter under the Federal Eagle so it looks to be a poorly stamped >>V<< for Forced/Magnum(voluntary submission) proof.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 07:25 PM
Yep, it's a V and not the bird's feet. One other thing, if the 16.0 represents bore diameter then that's 0.630" The data says 0.615" is standard for 20 ga. Overbored?
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 11:02 PM
OK, now what about the VZ on the right barrel? I vote for Verbessert(?) Zylinder(?) or Improved Cylinder . This matches what would be common with a half choke left barrel.
Mike
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/18/21 11:54 PM
Correct, Mike. According to the literature I have, most if not all 147's in 20 ga were/are choked IC & mod. My gun has the straight hand stock and splinter forend. Weighs less than 6# and kicks the snot out of me. But that's another chapter.
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/19/21 01:43 AM
Two possibilities, if it kicks the snot out of you.
It doesn't fit you, or you use heavy loads.
I shoot 7/8 ounce target loads at 1150 roughly, and 1 ounce at 1200 for hunting.
My 20 gauge AyA and my Beretta 687 are 5 pounds 15 ounces. I have no problem with 100 rounds of target loads at Sporting Clays. I do have a pad for Clays.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/19/21 11:51 AM
I have a more recent 47E 20ga that's factory choked skeet and IC. The open chokes are one reason I like it.
Posted By: Dave Schiller Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/21/21 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Saskbooknut
Two possibilities, if it kicks the snot out of you.
It doesn't fit you, or you use heavy loads.
I shoot 7/8 ounce target loads at 1150 roughly, and 1 ounce at 1200 for hunting.
My 20 gauge AyA and my Beretta 687 are 5 pounds 15 ounces. I have no problem with 100 rounds of target loads at Sporting Clays. I do have a pad for Clays.

Larry, you are most likely correct. But ....... I have a 20 ga Superposed (RKLT) that weighs about two ounces more than the Merkel and I can shoot it all day without a recoil issue, mostly skeet. The stock dimensions are the same except that the Browning has a tad more pitch. I made and installed a wedge under the butt plate on the Merkel to make them the same. I've also loaded some 3/4 oz shells (14.5 gr Green Dot for about 1,200 fps) but have not had a chance to shoot it after these changes because of a combination of crazy club hours (Covid), bad weather, home projects, etc.

The one fundamental difference between the guns is that the Browning has a POW grip and field style forend whereas the Merkel has a straight had stock and splinter forend. There's not much wood to grab on the Merkel. We shall see.........
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/21/21 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Der Ami
OK, now what about the VZ on the right barrel? I vote for Verbessert(?) Zylinder(?) or Improved Cylinder . This matches what would be common with a half choke left barrel.
Mike
Yes Mike, it stands for "Verbesserter Zylinder" & it cost an extra fee!

Wolfgang
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Merkel Serial # - 03/21/21 09:32 PM
From a 1980 Merkel Catalogue:

Merkel Catalogue 1980

Wolfgang
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com