doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tamid Leg of Mutton Case - 03/22/21 08:42 PM
I just purchased a gun and it came with a Leg of Mutton case. I've never paid any attention to Mutton cases.
The inside seems to be missing something. It only has a long thin floating pad I'm assuming is to keep the barrels separate from the stock?
And under the stock side a pad lifts up again assuming perhaps for cleaning rods?
Should there be more padding?

By the way it is a Red Head case.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 03/23/21 12:45 AM
Probably not. The "floating" separator is to separate the stock from the barrels and the smaller pouch is for the forearm...Geo
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 03/23/21 02:03 AM
I agree, my leg-o-mutton cases have two compartments, no padding. Kevin McCormack just told me a story about how he got into leather case working 40 years ago. He had a Winchester 21 in a leg-o-mutton case, proud of that gun. Then, at a gun show the cap of the LoM case failed and the barrels shot out and skidded across a fortunately linoleum floor. He resewed the case and got into the genre.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 03/23/21 10:58 AM
Tamid, I buy the Beretta two piece "socks" that are made to hold the barrels/forend in one and the buttstock/action in the other. They have a drawstring on the end. I slide them into the leg of mutton case inside the "socks" and it holds them snugly and prevents any "bouncing around" inside the case. I really enjoy a nice LOM case, and keep several guns in LOM cases all the time.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Stan
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/09/21 11:06 PM
Galco makes a nice one.
For $189, it ought to be nice.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/10/21 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Tamid, I buy the Beretta two piece "socks" that are made to hold the barrels/forend in one and the buttstock/action in the other. They have a drawstring on the end. I slide them into the leg of mutton case inside the "socks" and it holds them snugly and prevents any "bouncing around" inside the case. I really enjoy a nice LOM case, and keep several guns in LOM cases all the time.

Stan

I do the exact same thing when I’m using mine.
Posted By: crs Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/10/21 01:40 PM
My Parker shotguns came in leather bound cases that open in the manner as this double rifle case:
This provides room for snap caps, cleaning accessories, etc.
Does the Leg O Mutton case provide advantages over the Parker cases?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/10/21 02:35 PM
If there is an advantage for me with the l.o.m. over a hard case it is "traveling light". I shoot doves a lot. I don't care to lay out a big hard case on my tailgate. It would look pretentious in the crowd I shoot with. I don't need all the accessories for an afternoon shoot.

I have some hard cases, but for vintage guns prefer the l.o.m. Just a personal preference, that's all.
Posted By: Fin2Feather Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/10/21 04:08 PM
I use the socks in mine as well although they don't show in this photo. The forend is attached to the barrels; the little pouch is indeed for cleanings rods...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/12/21 01:49 PM
If there is an advantage for me with the l.o.m. over a hard case it is "traveling light". I shoot doves a lot. I don't care to lay out a big hard case on my tailgate. It would look pretentious in the crowd I shoot with. I don't need all the accessories for an afternoon shoot.

I have some hard cases, but for vintage guns prefer the l.o.m. Just a personal preference, that's all.

In comparison Stan, at the club I belong to my vintage LOM cases are considered somewhat pretentious...
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/12/21 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by DAM16SXS

In comparison Stan, at the club I belong to my vintage LOM cases are considered somewhat pretentious...

I also use my LOM case when traveling for a dove shoot. My buds probably think I'm being pretentious, but just wait until they see my new leather speedbag...Geo
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/12/21 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tom Findrick
Galco makes a nice one.
For $189, it ought to be nice.

That's a soft canvas takedown case, Tom, not a true hard leg-o-mutton case.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/13/21 12:44 AM
An old, used LOM with patina isn't pretentious in any setting I've ever been in. YMMV. But, open a hard case with cleaning rod, oil bottle, grease pot, and ebony turnscrews and you will get raised eyebrows around he'ah. Some may enjoy that kind of attention. I don't.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/13/21 01:29 AM
Shoot 14 out of 15 doves and get the 15th with your 16th shell will be most impressive. Everyone will ignore the ‘whatever’ case with that scenario. 😊
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/13/21 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by Buzz
Shoot 14 out of 15 doves and get the 15th with your 16th shell will be most impressive. Everyone will ignore the ‘whatever’ case with that scenario. 😊

You got that right!
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/13/21 02:05 AM
Agree with Stan...hard case for show...LoM for go. The two LoM cases I took to the Southern...right 16 ga Reilly, S-L "pigeon gun"; left 12 ga Reilly hammer gun....with wife's home-made "barrel cosy's" (cut down woman's wool stocking...I didn't ask..she just made it).

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/13/21 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Buzz

You got that right!

You guys just clearly don't understand how good I look with my new shooting purse...Geo
Posted By: Tamid Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/13/21 04:37 PM
My case has a locking buckle for the strap. I can't think why anyone would want to lock the strap but not the main compartment.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/13/21 11:52 PM
Lock on my LoM case...idea being one supposed that you can prevent someone from just undoing the strap....easy to cut it though. Still it might satisfy the airports.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/13/21 11:59 PM
I quite like my double LOM cases, as I rarely go anywhere with just one gun. Great in the car/suv.
Posted By: Tamid Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/15/21 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Argo44
Lock on my LoM case...idea being one supposed that you can prevent someone from just undoing the strap....easy to cut it though. Still it might satisfy the airports.

So the idea is to have a strap on the lid that locks into the buckle that is also used for the shoulder strap?
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/15/21 06:20 PM
Both mine are made fundamentally the same way. A strap with two buckles is attached by brad onto the lower side of the case. One buckle handles the carry strap....the other the case lid. One of mine has the buckle tine equipped for a lock, one doesn't.

Posted By: bczrx Re: Leg of Mutton Case - 05/25/21 04:54 AM
You all are inspiring.

I have 3 LOM cases that need repair before being used.

I think that will be the next investment- as I don't 'need' any more wood/steel [but some powder/lead would be nice].
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com