doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Nitrah Any good news re shell availability - 04/10/21 10:05 PM
I heard they are available in a Southern state but hate to make a 8 hour drive for nothing.
What do you need?
They ain't available in my part of Jawga.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/11/21 12:05 AM
Kiowa Creek had a full contingent of shells today, even 28s and .410.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/11/21 02:07 AM
The more we post about the shell shortage, he more shells the hoarders will stockpile...Geo
Posted By: Dogfox Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/11/21 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
The more we post about the shell shortage, he more shells the hoarders will stockpile...Geo

Pie in the sky type comment. Yah like writing about holding back on one of hundreds of gun forums is going to make a difference?

Visit most any trap, skeet or sporting club and hear serious shooters say they're not going to get fooled again and are buying and stockpiling whatever their finances allow. At inflated but not crazy prices.

DF
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/11/21 02:18 PM
I stockpiled during Trumps term. Wish I did more and hope I am set for this term of Sleepy Joe. But prices are insane. What I bought for $20,000.00 would now bring almost $80-100,000.00. Primers are just out of sight and people are still buying them. Metallic cartridges, in some calibers, are a buck or more each, for stuff which was .50 each last year. .22 ammo is once again costing like center fire ammo. Only shot seems to be holding steady and that is most likely because people can not find stuff to reload it with. And panic buying is causing people to buy every drop of powder just in case they can use it. You can smoke in most gun shop powder isles and not risk anything other than cancer. Shelves are bare.

I do not see ammo makers being able to or willing to increase the production to bring prices down. Why build extra capacity and risk flooding the market only to then having to shutdown that new production? No matter what we do this shortage of stuff will be here for a year or two more at the minimum. Next time, when prices return to normal pick a few special items and stock up because I do not think this is the last time we will see this.
Originally Posted by KY Jon
You can smoke in most gun shop powder isles and not risk anything other than cancer. Shelves are bare.

If you can find some decent tobacco.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/samuel-gawith/

I did hoard some Grousemoor.

Posted By: keith Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/11/21 03:46 PM

You would do better to put the blame for ammo hoarding and massive gun buying strictly where it belongs. This is happening due to the very real threat from anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats.

Don't blame a few guys on this forum for asking about or commenting on shortages or massive price increases. Don't blame the manufacturers. Blame the Democrats who are following through on their promise to enact new gun laws and gun bans. And blame the guys right here, or standing next to you at the skeet range, who helped the anti-gunners by supporting and voting for them.

We don't share a common interest in guns with these guys. Stop falling for that nonsense.

Guys who truly like guns and cherish their right to own and shoot them have no business supporting the anti-gunners who are attempting to take them. You can wake up to that fact now, or wake up ten years from now wondering what happened to your guns and 2nd Amendment.
My only shortage during the current ammo crisis was percussion caps. I mentioned the problem to my metalsmith who shook out a few into a bag for me. When I said they looked old, he told me they went back 40 years. That reminded me I had some after all. For some reason I've held on to some I got as a kid but later felt were of no use. I dug out five tins of Fiocchi # 11's and found they work jusy fine after 65 years.
Posted By: tw Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/13/21 01:58 AM
Shot shell availability in the 'normal' sense is skinny to non existent here, but quality target loads from makers like RC & Fiocchi are still obtainable from some clubs in the area as I type and the Italians make some fantastically good ammunition. Have to wonder how many rounds are presently in route to our shores in the moment. Lots, I hope.

As RMB has realized, contrary to the opinions of some [Wayne Mayes, being the most tragic]; old components do not deteriorate, with the exception of some wads left in their original packaging, when kept in reasonable environs. I've some Hi-Vel #2 that still works just fine in some old wildcat varmint rifles that are much older than I am. To live long enough to shoot it all up at varmints of the four legged variety/type like P-dogs & rock chucks being but one goal on my list. I may or may not get there.

And as Murphy notes, an ounce or less of shot in any target game is more than adequate to get the job done. One need only look at the scores being posted at bunker & International skeet in the present, to fully grasp that, in spite of whot some old 27 yd. line handicap trap shooters might have you believe. ;-) The shooting sports is chock full of 'characters'; some are worth listening to.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/13/21 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by keith

You would do better to put the blame for ammo hoarding and massive gun buying strictly where it belongs. This is happening due to the very real threat from anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats.

Don't blame a few guys on this forum for asking about or commenting on shortages or massive price increases. Don't blame the manufacturers. Blame the Democrats who are following through on their promise to enact new gun laws and gun bans. And blame the guys right here, or standing next to you at the skeet range, who helped the anti-gunners by supporting and voting for them.

We don't share a common interest in guns with these guys. Stop falling for that nonsense.

Guys who truly like guns and cherish their right to own and shoot them have no business supporting the anti-gunners who are attempting to take them. You can wake up to that fact now, or wake up ten years from now wondering what happened to your guns and 2nd Amendment.
I would say more like 3 years, Keith.
JR
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/13/21 04:16 PM
Just watched Tucker Carlson's intro from last night's show.....chilling. Maybe not even 3 -years.

The difference in the immigration crisis and the gun crisis is one of tangibility. Few Americans know how to fight the border crisis other than vote, and email their representatives. The left knows this, and takes advantage of it by their "community organizing". The gun issue is different. There will be a rebellion before the Dems get the guns. Each homeowner who owns guns knows how to fight it in his backyard. Blood will be let, because the left underestimates the willingness of the gun owners of America to fight for that right. Most of us can't stand on our property and physically fight illegal immigration but, let there be no mistake, we can and will do so for our gun rights.
Stan,
Well said, very well said.
Dennis
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/14/21 06:40 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
The difference in the immigration crisis and the gun crisis is one of tangibility. Few Americans know how to fight the border crisis other than vote, and email their representatives. The left knows this, and takes advantage of it by their "community organizing". The gun issue is different. There will be a rebellion before the Dems get the guns. Each homeowner who owns guns knows how to fight it in his backyard. Blood will be let, because the left underestimates the willingness of the gun owners of America to fight for that right. Most of us can't stand on our property and physically fight illegal immigration but, let there be no mistake, we can and will do so for our gun rights.

I’m surprised the rebellion is not in full swing. Aren’t we constantly being told that the 2nd Amendment’s purpose is to safeguard against tyranny yet here we are supposedly after the last election was stolen through fraud by the democrats but this seems insufficient cause to merit an uprising. Sounds like grandstanding and empty rhetoric from the Walter Mitty branch of the double gun appreciation community.
How do you time the beginning? Is it when the first shot is fired? There is a groundswell that began at an undetermined date, and is growing in scope and in fervor. History may well mark the first shots fired by gun owners as the beginning, much the same as it was at a sacred place called Lexington, Mass. where first blood was shed in the war to rid a certain tyrant's foot from the neck of men who only desired freedom and liberty. I suppose the British government thought our forefathers were grandstanding too ...........until April 19, 1775 (the anniversary of which is a mere 5 days away). It was a big mistake on their part to underestimate the "peasants", and it will be a big mistake again. Our forefather's blood still flows in our veins, and we remember, vicariously, what it feels like to have a tyrant.
Posted By: craigd Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/14/21 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Konor3inch
....I’m surprised the rebellion is not in full swing. Aren’t we constantly being told that the 2nd Amendment’s purpose is to safeguard against tyranny yet here we are supposedly after the last election was stolen through fraud by the democrats but this seems insufficient cause to merit an uprising. Sounds like grandstanding and empty rhetoric from the Walter Mitty branch of the double gun appreciation community.
This is cute, but I think you know the reason. The same Second Amendment supporters who would welcome a soccer coach from other parts of the world, would never steer them towards some minneapolis suburbs, just to woke around and enjoy the culture.

Your kind of media says there was a fifty-eight percent increase in legal, first time black firearm ownership last year, more grandstanding and empty rhetoric. You are what you are, which is a beautiful thing, but it doesn't make you reasonable or appear to have decorum.
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
...until April 19, 1775 (the anniversary of which is a mere 5 days away).... Our forefather's blood still flows in our veins, and we remember, vicariously, what it feels like to have a tyrant.

How’d that work out April12, 1861?

Posted By: KY Jon Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/14/21 12:52 PM
New gun buyers are part of the demand but not all of it. The problem with Remington going out of production just when demand peaked has made shortages worse. The free time COVID has given people has increased all types of outdoor activities. Fishing is way up around here. You can not find a small John boat in any condition for under $1,500.00. Then gun buying interest because another anti gun administration comes in just motivated millions more to buy one or more guns. It’s a kind of perfect storm but like all storms it will pass. But I do not expect prices to ever fully return to normal.
Shooting has always been an expensive hobby.

I’ve been listening to people whine about the cost of ammunition since 1970.

It is what it is.

They don’t put pockets in caskets.

Maybe if people hoarded less and worked more cooperatively God forbid, the less fortunate could shoot a few more clay targets.
Posted By: keith Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/14/21 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
Shooting has always been an expensive hobby.

I’ve been listening to people whine about the cost of ammunition since 1970.

It is what it is.

They don’t put pockets in caskets.

Maybe if people hoarded less and worked more cooperatively God forbid, the less fortunate could shoot a few more clay targets.

What a load of crap CZ. You know damn well that current ammo prices are far in excess of inflation from 1970. A brick of .22 rim fire could be had for $5.99, and store shelves were brimming with it. A kid could afford to buy a brick with a few hours of minimum wage earnings.... But certainly not today.

The same goes for shotshells, and center fire rifle and pistol ammo. Really budget conscious shooters could save even more on cheap and plentiful reloading components. Now the stuff costs a fortune, and it is difficult to even find primers. Just look at your fellow supporter of anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats who was complaining in this Thread about having to resort to using 65 year old percussion caps due to the current state of affairs.

But it was supporters of anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats who are to blame for this mess. And it may get worse before it gets better. However, if you just keep dishing out bullshit, maybe someone will believe you.... like the same people who actually believe that a stumbling senile incompetent who never got even one percent of the vote in previous campaign's for president suddenly became so immensely popular that he got the greatest number of votes in U.S. history.

And if Trump had caused such an increase in gun and ammo prices, we'd never be able to shut up you and his other Liberal Democrat critics here. But Trump didn't cause this. You guys own this. And the low income folks you all claim to feel sorry for will get hurt the most by the inflation yet to come.
Shooting is, and always has been expensive.
It’s not shot gunners hoarding 22 shells.

It’s crazy people.
Shooting is, and always has been expensive.
It’s not shot gunners hoarding 22 shells.

It’s crazy people.

..but not Grey Men, right?
Posted By: SKB Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/14/21 11:51 PM
Big Green is back, just one piece of the puzzle regarding the shortage:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2021/4/1/remington-ammo-back-in-operation

I'm seeing powder in various places in small quantities as well.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/14/21 11:58 PM
Yay, Remington STS are my favorite shells. I hope the new Remington ammo company does great. I look forward to shooting their shells. I hope they don’t change anything in terms of the original Remington components and recipes. Remington primers are my favorite too. It will be good to have them available too, and I hope it’s soon.
No definitely not me

I have enough ammunition of various forms to last the rest of my shooting life
And it pleases me to give it away when I want to

I came by it honestly, because I work for a living, and I look toward the future.

The only time I shoot 22 shells is when I am training for a big game hunt

I doubt that I have shot 5000 in my life

People that are sitting on garbage cans full of 22 shells should seek counseling and medication
Posted By: nca225 Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/15/21 12:19 AM
.. the same people who actually believe that a stumbling senile incompetent who never got even one percent of the vote in previous campaign's for president suddenly became so immensely popular that he got the greatest number of votes in U.S. history.

You mean these guys?

https://apnews.com/article/georgia-certify-election-joe-biden-ea8f867d740f3d7d42d0a55c1aef9e69

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/23/9378...key-states-set-to-certify-that-biden-won
Posted By: craigd Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/15/21 01:18 AM
....I came by it honestly, because I work for a living, and I look toward the future....
Should we take your word for it, maybe this is theoretical honesty? It is probably many times more honest if someone goes into the sporting goods store for a couple of boxes of ammo and finds empty shelves. I think counseling and medication is for the four new sup court activists.
Posted By: keith Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/15/21 08:51 AM
I have not heard about anybody hoarding .garbage cans of .22 rim fire ammo.

But I have heard about people having a very hard time finding it. And when they do find .22 rimfire ammo, it costs a small fortune. A garbae can full would probably cost as much as a new car today. They complain that they aren't able to take their kids out for an affordable day of plinking or practice. And it isn't just .22 rimfire ammo that has gotten much more expensive, and harder to find. It seems hardly a week passes since the coup.... I mean since the fraudulent election of 2020, that there is another Thread pertaining to the ammo shortage and massive price increases.... including shotgun shells and components.

And shooting has certainly not always been expensive. I managed to do a great deal of shooting as a kid spending my paper route earnings, and my money from part time entry level jobs in high school and college. When I see the current situation and current prices, I wonder how many young shooters are able to afford it. A co-worker was recently complaining that he bought a .380 auto handgun for his wife for concealed carry, but can't find ammo for her to even practice with, let alone use for self defense.

I also wonder why C Z thinks it is sane and rational for him to have hoarded a lifetime supply of ammo for his needs... yet he feels anyone who hoards .22 rim.fire ammo is mentally disturbed??? I'll tell you what mentally disturbed is.... mentally disturbed is being in denial about anti-gun Liberal Left Democrats in the House, Senate, and White House being the root cause for this mess. And REALLY MENTALLY DISTURBED is any gun owner who literally shoots themselves in the foot by voting for known anti-gunners!

When my REPUBLICAN Senator Pat Toomey aligned himself with anti-gun Democrats in 2013... I stopped voting for him, and urged other shooters to do the same. Period! I value my 2nd Amendment Rights too much to support any anti-gun [censored] under any circumstances.
Posted By: SKB Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/15/21 10:11 AM
Simply supply and demand and nothing to do with which party is in office, though I will say that the gun biz always booms when we have a Democrat in the White House.

An old saying in my family comes to mind "this too shall pass", and it will.

It will take a while for the supply chain disruptions from Covid to normalize but they will. A very good sign Remington is up and running 24/7.

Have any of you priced construction material lately? Dimensional lumber is up 180% in price over a year ago. Ammunition is not the only item that Covid has caused to skyrocket in price.
Posted By: craigd Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/15/21 11:30 AM
I think Remington ammo has been flowing out to the shelves for a while, anecotally there's a look like they are concentrating on popular pistol cartridges. Most of the ammo and component companies have put out regular press releases through covid related to significant production increases, so covid does not seem to have disrupted the supply chain.

I believe a few gun shop break ins have been reported, but otherwise people seem to be working and planning for their futures with these ammo purchases. There may be a demand increase, but you could be on to something. Maybe, a little inflation might be coming, probably not, at least gas prices have been down since January.
Posted By: SKB Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/15/21 11:39 AM
That old supply and demand thing Craig, as people get out more and travel increases demand goes up. I know my clients in the oil business are delighted at the moment, a far cry from where they were a year ago. When the economy comes roaring back, which it has begun to do, I would only expect gas prices to rise.

Not near as exciting as a conspiracy theory but I think a bit more accurate.
Posted By: nca225 Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/15/21 12:35 PM
Well, now you can pretend I never complained about illegal immigration, welfare, personal and corporate taxes, creeping socialism, foreign policy, etc., and once again say I am a single issue voter. Because that's what you liberal Democrats do. There are some things that no amount of moderation or faux civility can change.

Amen to that! Especially when you post admissions like this.

When my REPUBLICAN Senator Pat Toomey aligned himself with anti-gun Democrats in 2013... I stopped voting for him, and urged other shooters to do the same. Period! I value my 2nd Amendment Rights too much to support any anti-gun [censored] under any circumstances.

As it turns out, Sen Toomey agrees with you on illegal immigration, welfare, personal and corporate taxes, creeping socialism, & foreign policy.

https://justfacts.votesmart.org/candidate/political-courage-test/24096/pat-toomey

But thanks for finally being honest about it. Single issue voting at its best!
Posted By: keith Re: Any good news re shell availability - 04/15/21 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by nca225
As it turns out, Sen Toomey agrees with you on illegal immigration, welfare, personal and corporate taxes, creeping socialism, & foreign policy.

https://justfacts.votesmart.org/candidate/political-courage-test/24096/pat-toomey

But thanks for finally being honest about it. Single issue voting at its best!

Hahahaha... that's funny.

Your link you offer as proof of RINO Pat Toomey's Conservative bent is hilarious. All of his positions on the various issues are either "inferred" or "unknown" according to the key. But at least Toomey is honest about supporting gun control legislation. That mirrors his responses to me when I have e-mailed him on various issues.

I won't support any candidate who supports infringing upon the 2nd Amendment Rights of law abiding U.S. citizens any more than I would support one who advocates infringing upon the 1st Amendment... or any other part of the Constitution they swore an oath to Protect, Preserve, and Defend.

That does not make me a single issue voter. It means that, unlike you and the other Liberal Democrats here who support anti-gun Democrats blindly and without hesitation, I recognize what really is a threat to our freedom. I recognize that it is seditious to advocate undermining the Constitution by any means other than introducing legislation to lawfully amend it. I recognize that things like taking the 2nd Amendment Rights of citizens is far more egregious and criminal than illegally entering the U.S. House of Representatives during a protest, and putting your feet on Nancy Pelosi's desk.

The only groups that are denying that Pat Toomey is a RINO are Liberal Left sources like Politico or The Guardian. He is barely Right of Mitt Romney. He criticized Trump for commuting the sentence of Roger Stone, yet he couldn't be bothered to complain about the misdeeds of the FBI, or the Obama Administration illegally spying on the Trump campaign, phony dossiers, or the entire sham impeachment. He was even worse in the second sham impeachment when he sided with Romney with his vote to convict Trump. He was mostly a fiscal conservative, but he never did much in the way of introducing legislation to curb illegal immigration or creeping socialism. I held my nose and voted for him until he turned on gun owners. After that, I left my vote for U.S. Senator blank, because there was no good choice on either side.

This ammo shortage is absolutely a supply and demand issue. But unlike the forces driving the prices of 2" x 4"'s and plywood, this has little to do with Covid19, and everything to do with the threat from anti-gun Democrats. The same thing happened in 2013 when Obama was in office, and there was similar panic buying when Bill Clinton was in office. There was no pandemic then, and Remington was in full production. The lame attempts by Libtards to place the blame anywhere else other than anti-gun Democrats is typically dishonest and misleading behavior. But if you repeat a lie often enough, then maybe eventually folks will even believe that video tapes showing suitcases full of ballots being pulled out from under tables at 4:00 AM in Georgia, after the Press and election observers were sent home, is normal legitimate behavior.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com